Forums

Full Version: Unrest after capturing a planet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I know this has been discussed before but unsure about status. Is that something that will be brought into the design?

Summary: Prevent newly captured planets to produce for enemy next turn

Proposed changes:

1) The population can't be moved or produce for 5 turns after capture
2) Unrest planets consume 5 command points for duration of unrest

Thanks!
Interesting approach. A little different than the Moo2 approach. I like it. Reflects the time it takes to get a restive pop under control. I would add a "Exo politics level 2" or "alien interface " tech to compliment tha moves from 5 down 40%. Repulsive species trait shout add 40 % to the trait etc etc
Yes a new tech to speed up the process make sense. Also I thought about making it take longer to assimilate big populations, say unrest time is half the population. 8 pop = 4 turns unrest.

Another suggestion would be to move 2 pop from rebellious to productive each turn.
Turn 1: 2 people units work 6 units are rebellious
Turn 2: 4 people units work 4 units are rebellious
Turn 3: 6 people units work 2 units are rebellious
Turn 4: 8 people units work. The -5 command penalty is removed

But maybe too complicated?
I also would like to suggest

3) Planets that are newly captured (unrest) cant be used as refueling bases as long as unrest continues. (buying the defending player some extra time)
Thanks for bringing this back up. If we limit it to the original idea then I think I can add it to the next version. That is:

1) a planet is in "unrest" for x number of turns after capture
2) there is a morale penalty while the planet is in unrest, decreasing over time
3) there is a command point cost for planets in unrest, decreasing over time
4) colonists may not be transported off a planet while it is in unrest
5) planets in unrest cannot be use for fueling

First instinct says x should be equal to 1/2 population. So a 2 pop planet will be assimilated in 1 turn, a 10 pop planet in 5 turns, a 20 pop planet in 10 turns. Also, the costs associated with #2 and #3 above should be tied to x; if you have 10 turns left for unrest, it costs you 10 command points and there is a -10% morale penalty.

When we get into the realm of individual colonists are in unrest or not then it move out of the realm of feasibility for being implemented, as that would require new art and quite a few changes to the underlying data structures.
(04-09-2013 03:52 AM)rocco Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for bringing this back up. If we limit it to the original idea then I think I can add it to the next version. <SNIP>

I really like the ideas proposed below...

Here's a question - if I take a planet from an opponent, and they take it back while unrest is still happening, will they get unrest, too?

Or will the population rejoice at the return of their overlords, and have "We Love The Emperor Day" instead?
(04-09-2013 04:50 AM)Werebear Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a question - if I take a planet from an opponent, and they take it back while unrest is still happening, will they get unrest, too?

I would say it gets unrest, yes. For two reasons:

1) A planetary take over is a tumultuous event. Lives disrupted, factories damaged, etc. People are probably not happy their relatives died in the cross-fire and that you, the emperor, failed to protect them. Will take them time to get over it.

2) It will be easier to code this way Wink
(04-09-2013 03:52 AM)rocco Wrote: [ -> ]First instinct says x should be equal to 1/2 population. So a 2 pop planet will be assimilated in 1 turn, a 10 pop planet in 5 turns, a 20 pop planet in 10 turns. Also, the costs associated with #2 and #3 above should be tied to x; if you have 10 turns left for unrest, it costs you 10 command points and there is a -10% morale penalty.

10 command points is huge, 10 percent morale penalty is small. I can see not being able to use the bonus CP of the planet, or even the starbase in the system (max 4 CP) until unrest is over. But if you take over 2 late-game planets, and can't eradicate the population easily (no pop movement)...a 30 point (from 60 pop) CP cost could be crippling.

I would recommend focusing on morale penalties (and maybe more limited CP penalties). Maybe in your example, a 40 percent morale (4x, not 1x) penalty on turn 10, using your rules for assimilation? And were you thinking 10 turns = -10% morale, 9 turns -9%?
Hi,

I think if you capture a pop 20 planet it is not unreasonable to suffer an extra 10 command points hit (decaying as planet is assimilated)

It will slow down the attacker but maybe it would stop the "snowball" effect so the defender can regroup. It will still be difficult, and if the defender somehow manages to take back planet he will suffer the penalty too. But you are right that there will be strategic implications, maybe a fast blitz into enemy territory will leave you too overextended? If you don't have the funds to pay for this quick blitz maybe it's better to take it steady but slowly!

I think the hit to morale is a good suggestion!
(04-09-2013 05:11 AM)Diebo Wrote: [ -> ]10 command points is huge, 10 percent morale penalty is small. I can see not being able to use the bonus CP of the planet, or even the starbase in the system (max 4 CP) until unrest is over. But if you take over 2 late-game planets, and can't eradicate the population easily (no pop movement)...a 30 point (from 60 pop) CP cost could be crippling.

CP represents how much control over military operations you empire can take before it needs to start spending extra cash to compensate. As such, it does indeed make sense that the military takeover of an entire planet incur a cost in CP, as your military is busy handling the take over. I understand that it could be crippling, and maybe the values presented are too high, but I do like that it costs something.

If you don't want to invade the planet do to costs, then you can always plan to get orbital bombardments to blow it up instead. What's that, a reason to get orbital bombardments! Wink

We could also introduce racials and/or tech that affect this. Maybe battlehardened races are more effective at reducing unrest, shorting the duration. etc.

(04-09-2013 05:11 AM)Diebo Wrote: [ -> ]I would recommend focusing on morale penalties (and maybe more limited CP penalties). Maybe in your example, a 40 percent morale (4x, not 1x) penalty on turn 10, using your rules for assimilation? And were you thinking 10 turns = -10% morale, 9 turns -9%?

Yes, I envision both the morale and the CP penalty being tied to "turns left until unrest is over". So it could be -10 CP with 10 turns left, -9 CP with 9 turns left.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's