Forums

Full Version: Can't figure it out.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read the online manual but I can't figure out how to play this game. I can make my ships turn. Nor can I make them fire. This game needs a tutorial, if not in-game, at least a tutorial video. i'm about to ask iTunes for a refund.
(05-17-2014 10:59 PM)tokyodan Wrote: [ -> ]I read the online manual but I can't figure out how to play this game. I can make my ships turn. Nor can I make them fire. This game needs a tutorial, if not in-game, at least a tutorial video. i'm about to ask iTunes for a refund.

Welcome! Sorry for the lack of tutorial, others have gave the same feedback. I'm working on a tutorial video now, should have it posted to YouTube next week.

In the meantime, this should help you get your ships moving and firing:

1) When in game, tap on one of your ships to select it (your ships have a blue highlighted hex under it). When you select it the ships info panel will open on the left.

2) With the ship selected, all of the valid hexes that it can move to become highlighted; all of the hexes it cannot move to are dimmed. To move your ship, tap on one of the highlighted hexes. This will draw a line on the map which shows how your ship will move to that hex. There may be multiple options, you can select the one you want most.

3) Press the end turn button (the check mark in the upper right) to end your turn; during the start of the next turn you will see all of your ships move.

4) To fire your cannons, you first need to load them. Select a ship, and look at the ship panel on the left. There will be a series of buttons labeled "UNLOADED"; each button represents a gun deck on a specific side of the ship. Tap a button, a dialog will open to select a type of shot.

5) Once you have your cannons loaded, the hexes you can fire on will be outlines in red. If there is an opposing ship you canattack, it will be on a highlighted red hex. Tap on that ship, and it will get a floating red targeting icon above it.
(05-17-2014 11:31 PM)rocco Wrote: [ -> ]2) With the ship selected, all of the valid hexes that it can move to become highlighted; all of the hexes it cannot move to are dimmed. To move your ship, tap on one of the highlighted hexes. This will draw a line on the map which shows how your ship will move to that hex. There may be multiple options, you can select the one you want most.

To add to this, if you simply want to turn your ship in place instead of moving to a new hex, tap the ship to select it, then tap it's square again. The list of possible moves will show up on the left and you can select which direction you want to end up facing.
It that what the "Routes" are? So I can either move OR select a Route to just turn my ship? correct?

Also i have a problem when I select a ship then select the hex that it should move to, then select a 2nd ship ship. this selection of the 2nd ship causes the path of the previous ship to end at the hex of the 2nd ship. How do I deselect a ship after setting its path so I can properly select a different ship?

(05-17-2014 11:31 PM)rocco Wrote: [ -> ]To add to this, if you simply want to turn your ship in place instead of moving to a new hex, tap the ship to select it, then tap it's square again. The list of possible moves will show up on the left and you can select which direction you want to end up facing.
(05-19-2014 09:15 AM)tokyodan Wrote: [ -> ]It that what the "Routes" are? So I can either move OR select a Route to just turn my ship? correct?

You tap on a ship to selected it, then tap on the place you want it to go to. If there is more than one possible path for the ship to take to get there, or different headings it could end on, you can choose the exact route it takes from the list.

(05-19-2014 09:15 AM)tokyodan Wrote: [ -> ]Also i have a problem when I select a ship then select the hex that it should move to, then select a 2nd ship ship. this selection of the 2nd ship causes the path of the previous ship to end at the hex of the 2nd ship. How do I deselect a ship after setting its path so I can properly select a different ship?

You can tap on a darkened hex to unselect your current ship.

-or-

You can tap the button at the top of the ship panel (with a bunch of arrow heads on it) to cycle through all of your ships.
Thanks,

What if I just want my ship to end its move in a certain heading? How do I do that?

I find that I can EITHER select a route to rotate my ship OR select a hex to move to, but not both in the same turn. Is this correct?
(05-19-2014 11:53 AM)tokyodan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks,

What if I just want my ship to end its move in a certain heading? How do I do that?

I find that I can EITHER select a route to rotate my ship OR select a hex to move to, but not both in the same turn. Is this correct?

When you select a hex to move to, it shows a list of all possible routes to that hex on the left, including any available headings you can end facing. You can pick a route that will end with you facing the heading youd esire (assuming you have enough movement to get that heading for that hex)
Sometimes a particular heading is not available because your ship does not have enough move points left. How many points each ship has to move depends on the direction of the wind and your ship's bearing, and how easily your ship can turn depends on the ship type. Large ships are clumsier than small ones.

For example, let's say you have a Vanguard, the largest ship in the game. The maximum number of hexes you can move ahead with an unmodified Vanguard is five hexes: four plus one if you select Crew Focus: Sailing, and this is only if the direction of the wind relative to your ship's bearing is favorable. You would also need to start the turn facing the direction you wish to move towards, otherwise it costs extra to first turn once to face the right direction.

It takes a whopping three movement points to turn a Vanguard 60 degrees (one side of a hex), so if you wanted to, instead of moving forward five hexes you could choose to move forward just two hexes and then turn once. You can only turn your ship once per hex moved, or once while standing still, so it is impossible to turn a Vanguard more than 60 degrees during one round as that would require 6 movement points + number of hexes moved, versus Vanguard's maximum of five, or six if you picked the Polished Hull ship modification (+1 broad reach).

In contrast, the smallest ship in the game can move 10 hexes if it makes no turns, the direction of the wind is right, the ship starts the turn facing the right direction and it has Polished Hull. It only takes 1 movement point to make a 60 degree turn with it, though, so you could make quite a few turns when moving it and still move a long distance.

A lot depends on what the direction of the wind is when your ship starts its turn. Note well the movement points of each ship type towards each wind-relative direction! For example, the Rebellious and Constance ship types are only slightly slower than a Bounty (the smallest ship) when the wind is favorable but a Bounty is much faster when moving slightly against the wind, making it far more flexible.
Reference URL's