Forums

Full Version: Reinforced Bulkheads needs a buff?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I notice no one researches bulkheads because by the time it shows up, armor is more useful for blocking protons, ipc or plasma. It shows up just before shields, and no one goes for bulkheads because shields are adequate for countering guass.

The main reason I rarely use it is that nukes and ipc do percent damage against bulkheads, so having more won't make much of a difference against weapons that do a percent bonus against my ship. Even if I lose speed from structural damage, combat engines are a better investment than bulkheads. All told, armor is much more useful than bulkheads in virtually any situation now.

I guess bulkheads would be more useful if they either gave more hp than armor, or or if they appeared earlier in the tech tree. Or maybe they could reduce the amount of bonus damage from IPC and nukes?
Agreed. Something should be done to make Reinforced Bulkheads useful. They are less than useless right now.
I just thought, maybe making it much cheaper to research (1/2?) would work too, maybe an emergency counter to guass. Then you could choose a meaningful tradeoff between shields and bulkheads and jumping ahead to research the next thing. It also kind of makes sense that stronger bulkheads would cost less to research than something totally new like shields in real life.

Edit: Another way to make it viable is if bulkheads subtracted from the bonus percent damage that nukes and IPC give.
Reference URL's