Forums
Changes to allied victory? - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums)
+-- Forum: Starbase Orion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Research Lab (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Changes to allied victory? (/showthread.php?tid=1962)

Changes to allied victory? - Skins0815 - 08-10-2013 11:58 AM

Allied victory currently causes you to win the game if you are allied with all remaining opponents. However, in most MP games, the losing team will exit the game and be replaced by computers. Therefore, the remaining allied human players don't automatically win; they'd have to defeat the computers to win. If they exit the game, the players on the winning team who exit first are "defeated."

I believe the intention of allied victory was for the game to end when the winning allied teammates are the only human players left. To fix this, I'd propose changing allied victory such that you win the game if a player is allied with all remaining HUMAN opponents.

One problem with this suggestion is that a group of human players wouldn't be able to select allied victory if they want to take on computers. However, in these cases (which I imagine are much more rare than human vs human MP games), they can just select normal victory conditions and end the game when they have defeated all computers (or they can then decide to battle it out amongst themselves).

Thoughts?

RE: Changes to allied victory? - VanderLegion - 08-10-2013 12:11 PM

(08-10-2013 11:58 AM)Skins0815 Wrote:  Allied victory currently causes you to win the game if you are allied with all remaining opponents. However, in most MP games, the losing team will exit the game and be replaced by computers. Therefore, the remaining allied human players don't automatically win; they'd have to defeat the computers to win. If they exit the game, the players on the winning team who exit first are "defeated."

I believe the intention of allied victory was for the game to end when the winning allied teammates are the only human players left. To fix this, I'd propose changing allied victory such that you win the game if a player is allied with all remaining HUMAN opponents.

One problem with this suggestion is that a group of human players wouldn't be able to select allied victory if they want to take on computers. However, in these cases (which I imagine are much more rare than human vs human MP games), they can just select normal victory conditions and end the game when they have defeated all computers (or they can then decide to battle it out amongst themselves).

Thoughts?

The main problem is that I've seen a number of games that have AI from the start, not just ones replacing human players who quit. You have to deal with that situation as well. Might be able to set it up so that starting AI are treated teh same as humans and end the game if all "humans" have either quit or been defeated.

Actually, the easiest solution would probably be to have an option in the game settings when you create a match for whether players who quit should be replaced by an AI. Then if you want to be able to keep playing, you can set it up to do so, if you want it to end when everyone on the other team quits, you can have that too since you could just not have them get replaced.