Forums
Thx for the game! - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums)
+-- Forum: Starbase Orion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Space Bar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Thx for the game! (/showthread.php?tid=280)

Pages: 1 2

Thx for the game! - Epsilon - 11-08-2011 11:19 AM

After spending an evening searching for a way to get Moo2 working on my new iPad, I finally came across Starbase Orion. I liked it from the first round on, never regretted the few Euros spent on it, and I think that the game has even a lot of potential to grow further!

So a big "Thank you" to the developers for what they already did and might be doing in the future, and an as big "Hi, what's up?!" to all you fellow gamers! Big Grin

RE: Thx for the game! - VanderLegion - 11-08-2011 11:31 AM

(11-08-2011 11:19 AM)Epsilon Wrote:  After spending an evening searching for a way to get Moo2 working on my new iPad, I finally came across Starbase Orion. I liked it from the first round on, never regretted the few Euros spent on it, and I think that the game has even a lot of potential to grow further!

So a big "Thank you" to the developers for what they already did and might be doing in the future, and an as big "Hi, what's up?!" to all you fellow gamers! Big Grin

Welcome to the community. Enjoy your new addiction Smile

RE: Thx for the game! - Epsilon - 11-08-2011 11:43 AM

(11-08-2011 11:31 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Welcome to the community. Enjoy your new addiction Smile

Thanks! Smile

Following up on the research to get Moo2 running on the iPad: In principle this should be possible with a Jailbreak and installing a kind of Dosbox (e.g. DosPad/iDos). However, I did not find the time to test it, yet ...

RE: Thx for the game! - rocco - 11-08-2011 12:08 PM

(11-08-2011 11:43 AM)Epsilon Wrote:  Following up on the research to get Moo2 running on the iPad: In principle this should be possible with a Jailbreak and installing a kind of Dosbox (e.g. DosPad/iDos). However, I did not find the time to test it, yet ...

It works. It was unplayable for me on iPad1, and I haven't tried since I got the iPad2.

RE: Thx for the game! - Epsilon - 11-08-2011 12:46 PM

(11-08-2011 12:08 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(11-08-2011 11:43 AM)Epsilon Wrote:  Following up on the research to get Moo2 running on the iPad: In principle this should be possible with a Jailbreak and installing a kind of Dosbox (e.g. DosPad/iDos). However, I did not find the time to test it, yet ...

It works. It was unplayable for me on iPad1, and I haven't tried since I got the iPad2.

Hmmm ... I will give it a try. What exactly did it make unplayable?

RE: Thx for the game! - rocco - 11-08-2011 12:58 PM

(11-08-2011 12:46 PM)Epsilon Wrote:  Hmmm ... I will give it a try. What exactly did it make unplayable?

I did not jailbreak; I built DosPad from source. In this instance, it was unable to do one of the CPU machine-code caching optimizations it normally would be able to do, which made it too slow on some scenes.

YMMV

RE: Thx for the game! - Epsilon - 11-08-2011 01:27 PM

(11-08-2011 12:58 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(11-08-2011 12:46 PM)Epsilon Wrote:  Hmmm ... I will give it a try. What exactly did it make unplayable?

I did not jailbreak; I built DosPad from source. In this instance, it was unable to do one of the CPU machine-code caching optimizations it normally would be able to do, which made it too slow on some scenes.

YMMV

Building the code myself is of course also an option. However, I tried this with some other projects and got frustrated a couple of times after having to collect and compile additional library after library they depended on. But maybe I just picked the wrong projects Wink

RE: Thx for the game! - rocco - 11-08-2011 01:37 PM

(11-08-2011 01:27 PM)Epsilon Wrote:  Building the code myself is of course also an option. However, I tried this with some other projects and got frustrated a couple of times after having to collect and compile additional library after library they depended on. But maybe I just picked the wrong projects Wink

Yes, I remember it wasn't the easiest task.

All in all, I felt the effort wasn't worth it other than to say "yay, I did it!". I now use Boxer to run it on my laptop.

RE: Thx for the game! - Epsilon - 11-08-2011 01:50 PM

(11-08-2011 01:37 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(11-08-2011 01:27 PM)Epsilon Wrote:  Building the code myself is of course also an option. However, I tried this with some other projects and got frustrated a couple of times after having to collect and compile additional library after library they depended on. But maybe I just picked the wrong projects Wink

Yes, I remember it wasn't the easiest task.

All in all, I felt the effort wasn't worth it other than to say "yay, I did it!". I now use Boxer to run it on my laptop.

I can imagine that.

I have Moo2 running on OS X using DosBox, on Ubuntu it also worked fine. However I think these kind of games are pretty cool to play on a tablet. The real problem is however that they are not designed for a tablet, which makes a difference already since you do not have a cursor and multiple mouse buttons there. So I think, getting these old games running on an iPad will in most cases just be an "I did it"-experience.

What about Boxer, is it better than Doxbox?

RE: Thx for the game! - rocco - 11-08-2011 01:56 PM

(11-08-2011 01:50 PM)Epsilon Wrote:  What about Boxer, is it better than Doxbox?

Boxer is DosBox wrapped in a pretty OS X application, including things like Finder integration and the like. I don't have extensive experience with either, other than to say I got Boxer running moo2 in under 2 minutes from downloading it.