Forums
Give SO 5* in the App Store! - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums)
+-- Forum: Starbase Orion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Space Bar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Give SO 5* in the App Store! (/showthread.php?tid=353)

Pages: 1 2

Give SO 5* in the App Store! - thebardofblasphemy - 11-21-2011 02:45 PM

Have you given SO a high-5 in the appstore lately?

go do it! go do it again!

more exposure = more players = more challenge + more $ to continue developing this awesome game!

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - VanderLegion - 11-21-2011 03:07 PM

(11-21-2011 02:45 PM)thebardofblasphemy Wrote:  Have you given SO a high-5 in the appstore lately?

go do it! go do it again!

more exposure = more players = more challenge + more $ to continue developing this awesome game!

First thing I did after I updated to 1.0.6 Smile

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - Treksdot - 11-21-2011 07:16 PM

Sorry guys but I can't give this game a 5 star rating when it's missing such a key element like diplomacy while adverted as a MoO 2 clone. I have been giving it 4 stars after each new version though.

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - bmike - 11-22-2011 02:56 AM

I would say that anyone that wants to grow the pool of people to play should rate and review the app.

I think the difference between 3, 4, and 5 stars is splitting hairs - especially if you write a real review.

If the game is something you like and you see the developer is actually aware of the glitches and making them better (and doing it in the open) - reward that investment of time with an investment of your time.

Do review the app - especially awarding stars when it is updated. Getting exposure is critical for the game to succeed long term - and if people are not pushing the stars each and every bug report (again - just vote - I'm not asking you to push the rating above what you feel it's worth - just to rate it) then at some point, the developer will start holding back bug fixes.

The calculation is how many people are upset about a bug versus how many good stars will be hidden from the previous version when the new one is released and doesn't have enough votes to be ranked in the store.

Voting in the app store is something that truly makes a difference in the long term "featurability" of a game for iOS.

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - VanderLegion - 11-22-2011 04:00 AM

(11-21-2011 07:16 PM)Treksdot Wrote:  Sorry guys but I can't give this game a 5 star rating when it's missing such a key element like diplomacy while adverted as a MoO 2 clone. I have been giving it 4 stars after each new version though.

I never played any of the Masters of Orion games, so not having diplomacy isn't a huge issue for me. Part of that could also be that I've been mostly only playing 1v1 multiplayer, where diplomacy isn't quite as big an issue (you're gonna hafta kill each other, so...).

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - Treksdot - 11-22-2011 07:44 AM

(11-22-2011 04:00 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I never played any of the Masters of Orion games, so not having diplomacy isn't a huge issue for me. Part of that could also be that I've been mostly only playing 1v1 multiplayer, where diplomacy isn't quite as big an issue (you're gonna hafta kill each other, so...).

GalCiv also had diplomacy, another game SO claims to be influenced by. In fact, I can't think of any space strategy 4x title that didn't have some form of diplomacy. I would highly recommend loading up a DOS emulator and tracking down a copy of MoO 2. Diplomacy would also give SO more depth and maybe then more than 2% of the player base would give multiplayer a try. By the way, diplomacy would also consist of an option to surrender.

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - VanderLegion - 11-22-2011 08:07 AM

(11-22-2011 07:44 AM)Treksdot Wrote:  
(11-22-2011 04:00 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I never played any of the Masters of Orion games, so not having diplomacy isn't a huge issue for me. Part of that could also be that I've been mostly only playing 1v1 multiplayer, where diplomacy isn't quite as big an issue (you're gonna hafta kill each other, so...).

GalCiv also had diplomacy, another game SO claims to be influenced by. In fact, I can't think of any space strategy 4x title that didn't have some form of diplomacy. I would highly recommend loading up a DOS emulator and tracking down a copy of MoO 2. Diplomacy would also give SO more depth and maybe then more than 2% of the player base would give multiplayer a try. By the way, diplomacy would also consist of an option to surrender.

I'm not arguing that I wouldn't like the addition of diplomacy, just that I don't need it to give the game 5 stars, I'd love it if it was added Smile. I've played Sins of a Solar Empire a lot, which is the same concept albeit realtime, which does have diplomacy also. It's just, as I said, in single player it's less useful. The surrender option would be nice, but could also be done outside of diplomacy.

Now, if I could get some 4 player multiplayer games to actually pick up and have people play, then diplomacy could be more handy. And for single player of course, it would be nice to have for the 3 ai player games.

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - LordTheRon - 12-02-2011 09:57 PM

Honoustly diplomacy would be a nice feature to add, but especially online, I don't miss it at all.

In games like GalCiv or Civilization there's always a way to exploit diplomacy. So if Rocco will ever add it, it would be nice, but only if it's really well thought out!

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - dawgs4ever - 12-03-2011 07:35 AM

Diplomacy is for weaklings. Crush and Destroy. =)

RE: Give SO 5* in the App Store! - Sanchez - 12-06-2011 07:43 PM

Just added my 5-star and a glowing review (skimmed over the weak SP AI Smile).

Another thing you can do is mention it to your 4X playing friends (I'll be gifting the app a few times this xmas) and keep the thread over at toucharcade going, since a lot of sales are driven out of that forum:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=109751