Forums
Multiplayer howto... - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums)
+-- Forum: Starbase Orion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Space Bar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer howto... (/showthread.php?tid=531)

Multiplayer howto... - ddebernardy - 12-29-2011 10:16 AM

Curious to know if this is normal. I've started a few multiplayer games, and at the end of my first turn the game seems to shut down, leaving me back to the start screen. When I hit continue. It shows several games that are started under "opponent's turn".

Isn't GC smart enough to only match you with someone who's actually online?

Edit: it looks like I'm playing Shep? If so what time zone are you in?

RE: Multiplayer howto... - VanderLegion - 12-29-2011 11:04 AM

(12-29-2011 10:16 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  Curious to know if this is normal. I've started a few multiplayer games, and at the end of my first turn the game seems to shut down, leaving me back to the start screen. When I hit continue. It shows several games that are started under "opponent's turn".

Isn't GC smart enough to only match you with someone who's actually online?

Edit: it looks like I'm playing Shep? If so what time zone are you in?

The game uses asynchronous multiplayer. You take your turn, it sends it to opponent. Opponent takes their turn whenever they can/feel like it, it sends it back, and so on. Sometimes you'll both be playing at the same time and can play a buncha turns in a row, others you may get a turn or two a day (I had one guy that we played back and forth pretty much all day and all but finished a game in one day).

I'm not sure how the matchmaking works for it, but I'm assuming when you go to start a game, it goes and looks for other people who have already started up 1v1 games and are waiting for opponents and matches you with one of them if there are any. If there are no games waiting for a new player, it creates a new one and the next person to start up a new mp game will get matched with you.
There's currently no "live" multiplayer option where you stay in game and both play (with currently online opponents like you were talking about) and just play through a game until someone wins without closing out like it does now. I don't know if that's planned or not (a hotseat multiplayer on one device is being looked at, haven't heard anything that I recall about wifi multiplayer or live multiplayer over GC). Honestly, this game takes too long for a live multiplayer to work overly well unless you could still save games and come back to them later (which would require some coordination between players).

RE: Multiplayer howto... - ddebernardy - 12-29-2011 06:54 PM

Ok. And so, I take it that multiplayer games may span a week or longer then, right?

Also, where are there more players at? 1v1 or FFA?
Also, I tried new game / FFA. And the game seems stuck at the race selection ("Your race was rejected. Please choose another one.") Why would that be?

RE: Multiplayer howto... - VanderLegion - 12-30-2011 03:30 AM

(12-29-2011 06:54 PM)ddebernardy Wrote:  Ok. And so, I take it that multiplayer games may span a week or longer then, right?

Also, where are there more players at? 1v1 or FFA?
Also, I tried new game / FFA. And the game seems stuck at the race selection ("Your race was rejected. Please choose another one.") Why would that be?

Yah, I've had games go anywhere from a day or two to a week or two, just depends how much both people play. And definitly 1v1 is the way to go. It's really hard to get reliable opponents for FFA unless you post on the forums here and get people who you know will actually play (I've got a few going this way now). Still haven't gotten any 2v2s going...

As for the Race Rejection, that's a bug thats cropped up before, dunno what causes it.

RE: Multiplayer howto... - ddebernardy - 12-30-2011 08:32 AM

Ok, thanks.

On a separate note @rocco, I may have run into a bug: I'm playing a few 1v1 games, and I got a notice while playing my solo-game on top. It announced a new turn for me about an hour ago, but it doesn't seem to be the case in reality. Absolutely no idea of how to reproduce, but here you go in case it may light a sparkle...

RE: Multiplayer howto... - Thejimmeister - 02-10-2012 04:03 PM

Greetings!

I am a new player and new to these forums. I am trying to setup a multiplayer with my brother and may have found a bug. Or I am clueless! Either way, a multiplayer how to question:

When I press multiplayer in the opening screen I here a sound effect but nothing else happens. Is this a new bug?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT... Didn't have GC account setup. All set now.