Forums
OS X Mountain Lion - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums)
+-- Forum: Starbase Orion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Space Bar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: OS X Mountain Lion (/showthread.php?tid=744)

OS X Mountain Lion - VanderLegion - 02-17-2012 05:52 AM

So rocco,

I just saw that Mountain Lion is gonna bring Game Center to macs...when can we expect a mac version of SO? Big Grin

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - ddebernardy - 02-17-2012 06:32 AM

You sure it's needed? I dunno about you, but... I haven't touched my MacBook except to work since I bought my iPad. :-)

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - rocco - 02-17-2012 06:37 AM

(02-17-2012 06:32 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  You sure it's needed? I dunno about you, but... I haven't touched my MacBook except to work since I bought my iPad. :-)

Intriguing.... an SO game with 10x the star systems and 20-30 empires?

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - VanderLegion - 02-17-2012 06:45 AM

(02-17-2012 06:37 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 06:32 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  You sure it's needed? I dunno about you, but... I haven't touched my MacBook except to work since I bought my iPad. :-)

Indeed. Macbook pro has a lot more power for bigger games. Might be able to do an option for live games/combat as well. And i dont HAVE an ipad yet, so i still actually use my laptop.

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - Treksdot - 02-17-2012 08:10 AM

It's not just the added resources a desktop version would bring but also the added screen real estate. A Mac version would open up many new opportunities for refining and displaying the information already available to the player.

(02-17-2012 06:37 AM)rocco Wrote:  Intriguing.... an SO game with 10x the star systems and 20-30 empires?

If you want to go whole hog and add Mac only features then how about an honest to God diplomacy system, real-time combat, many more races, better animations and improved visuals? The only problem is that the first three are guaranteed to break Game Center compatibility unless you implement a sort of play as 'classic' option.(Yes, I just referred to a 4 month old game as classic.) Count me as someone who would shell out more money for such a version. Seeing as we've already discussed such an option in private you should already be aware of the possibilities.

Some of us actually prefer the kind of games made possible by having more screen space, a keyboard and a mouse. As an example: Civilization or SimCity on Mac/PC is awesome, on a console or portable device it sucks.

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - VanderLegion - 02-17-2012 08:30 AM

(02-17-2012 08:10 AM)Treksdot Wrote:  If you want to go whole hog and add Mac only features then how about an honest to God diplomacy system, real-time combat, many more races, better animations and improved visuals? The only problem is that the first three are guaranteed to break Game Center compatibility unless you implement a sort of play as 'classic' option.(Yes, I just referred to a 4 month old game as classic.) Count me as someone who would shell out more money for such a version. Seeing as we've already discussed such an option in private you should already be aware of the possibilities.

I'm guessing diplomacy at least will make it into the iOS version at some point. Real time combat just doesn't lend itself well to a mobile game. I'd love to see it in a desktop version. Like I said, do live multiplayer, real time combat potentially since people are far more likely to sit on their computer for a few hours to play through a game than they are their phone/ipad (some people at least).

What I'd really love for a mac version is kinda like Treksdot said, have the option to play "classic", basically cross platform multiplayer so you can load up your save games from your iOS device and take your turns etc on your computer, then have mac only options for the other stuff (live, bigger galaxies, more players, whatever else could be added to it that doesn't work as well on mobile). As Treksdot said, I'd happily pay more for a mac version with more features Smile.

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - ddebernardy - 02-17-2012 09:04 AM

(02-17-2012 06:45 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  

Indeed. Macbook pro has a lot more power for bigger games. Might be able to do an option for live games/combat as well. And i dont HAVE an ipad yet, so i still actually use my laptop.

Hah hah! Sorry, I've been living in a cave for a few years. I barely register that there are households without an iPad, let alone households that still have a PC. :-P

Joke aside, consider an iPad if you haven't done so already. Mine is the only computing device I ever use when not working. It's that simple...

Were I not a programmer, I wouldn't even consider getting anything else when my MacBook dies. And even as such, I'd get a Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad, and use SSH/VI on my server, if it weren't for TextMate et al.
(02-17-2012 08:10 AM)Treksdot Wrote:  Some of us actually prefer the kind of games made possible by having more screen space, a keyboard and a mouse. As an example: Civilization or SimCity on Mac/PC is awesome, on a console or portable device it sucks.

I actually liked civ on the iPad. The UI arguably wasn't perfect, especially when you need to move troops, but civ rev is quite good imho. My only real niggle with it was how crummy the AI was. Deity basically gets creamed in 2-3 hour games... It might be that I play differently from ages ago when I'd gun down civ3 AIs on my PC with friends in LAN parties, but... you know... I suppose raw computing power has something to do with it; but if so, I'm suspecting it's only a matter of years before we get similar raw number crunching on iDevices.

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - VanderLegion - 02-17-2012 09:47 AM

(02-17-2012 09:04 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 06:45 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  

Hah hah! Sorry, I've been living in a cave for a few years. I barely register that there are households without an iPad, let alone households that still have a PC. :-P

Joke aside, consider an iPad if you haven't done so already. Mine is the only computing device I ever use when not working. It's that simple...

Were I not a programmer, I wouldn't even consider getting anything else when my MacBook dies. And even as such, I'd get a Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad, and use SSH/VI on my server, if it weren't for TextMate et al.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have an iPad, but haven't been able to afford one, and given that we just had a baby, won't be able to afford one anytime in the near future.

As a programmer as well, I definitely need a computer still for that. Since the programming I do for fun outside of work is on my iPhone apps I'm working on, that means my mac isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so a mac version of SO would be great for hwen I'm at home Smile.

I also still play games on my windows desktop. I haven't touched my xbox in months - maybe close to a year now, and my ps3 only gets used for netflix and blurays anymore, I've moved to doing all my non-mobile gaming on my computers, and as much as I like SO and some of the other games I have on my iPhone, they aren't quite up to desktop standards yet.

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - Finanzberater - 03-04-2012 07:49 AM

Pls stop discussing about the differents of an ipad and a macbook, they both are used aswell from gamers and worker.

Beside of this a crossplattform Multiplayer with mountain lion on mac side and ios 5 on the other is in my eyes a win/win Situation!

Just think about the fails that Civ5 does and go the other way and This game could be a gamechanger.

RE: OS X Mountain Lion - elph - 03-04-2012 12:09 PM

Not sure if you know this but there is an open source Moo 2 clone for Mac called FreeOrion:

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

I've been staying away. I don't play games on my desktop anymore. I actually need a life. The play as I go through out the day on my pad/phone works without getting in the way of "life"..... Too much that is.