Forums
Strange galaxy - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forums)
+-- Forum: Starbase Orion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The Space Bar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Strange galaxy (/showthread.php?tid=915)

Strange galaxy - MarcusVictor - 04-04-2012 09:01 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new to the boards, but have been playing for a couple of months, and lurking the forum for nearly as long.

Let me start by offering the usual kudos to rocco et al for an amazing game!

Onto the topic: I just started a MP game on a massive galaxy, and strangely, not a single star is within range of my DD. Anyone ever see that?

RE: Strange galaxy - StandAlone - 04-04-2012 10:38 PM

Yes, it can happen quite often. If you are using a custom race and have the extra point, try using galactic navigators.

RE: Strange galaxy - Sarducar Dun - 04-04-2012 10:59 PM

I'm the opponent here but I've had one slightly worse. 3 systems in range and one in destroyer range. 2 of three were antimatter...
It's hard finding an extra point sometimes. Which is very annoying.

RE: Strange galaxy - StandAlone - 04-04-2012 11:06 PM

(04-04-2012 10:59 PM)Sarducar Dun Wrote:  I'm the opponent here but I've had one slightly worse. 3 systems in range and one in destroyer range. 2 of three were antimatter...
It's hard finding an extra point sometimes. Which is very annoying.

Keep in mind that the galaxy is a mirror image for the two of you. Planets are similarly situated with the same number of monsters, techs to be found, and lost colonies. The center is a crap shoot as to what it has.

RE: Strange galaxy - Sarducar Dun - 04-04-2012 11:22 PM

Yea but in a situation like that of one has GN and one doesn't. It's worth maybe three trait points.

RE: Strange galaxy - StandAlone - 04-04-2012 11:25 PM

(04-04-2012 11:22 PM)Sarducar Dun Wrote:  Yea but in a situation like that of one has GN and one doesn't. It's worth maybe three trait points.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 trait points. GN is 1 trait point.

RE: Strange galaxy - Sarducar Dun - 04-04-2012 11:42 PM

It's as good as a 3 point trait in the right galaxy because there are so few local systems.

RE: Strange galaxy - StandAlone - 04-05-2012 12:18 AM

(04-04-2012 11:42 PM)Sarducar Dun Wrote:  It's as good as a 3 point trait in the right galaxy because there are so few local systems.

I see. Maybe in the short term. It might be advantageous to get fuel cells 1 as your first tech then.

RE: Strange galaxy - MarcusVictor - 04-05-2012 02:05 AM

Yep, even with galactic navigators, no stars within range of DD. And those within range of scouts were irradiated, toxic, Jovian, asteroids. Utterly craptastic(but mirrored)!

RE: Strange galaxy - VanderLegion - 04-05-2012 02:14 AM

Yah, I've had stuff like that happen a fair bit on massive galaxies, not sure if the stars are just more spread out or what. It could be worse, when the beta first came out with massive galaxies, I had a game i started (against the computer I think) where there was only 1 star system in range at all. So far at least I've never had a game where all of the systems in range either had monsters or didn't have habitable planets. I've had some with really craptastic planets, but I've always been able to at least colonize to get out to better stuff.