Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.2.1 Overwhelming Force: destruction instead of retreat
06-10-2013, 11:35 PM
v1.2.1 Overwhelming Force: destruction instead of retreat
Quote:Frankly - how about overhwleming force just results in the smaller force being automatically eliminated with no battle. That would be infinetly better, more realistic, and avoid all the silly issues we now face.

Discuss!

As far as code goes, this change is feasible in the time left for this beta.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 11:48 PM by Mezmorki.)
RE: v1.2.1 Overwhelming Force: destruction instead of retreat
Thanks for making this a discussion topic.

You already know my position (I think its a good idea). Here's what I like about it:

1. Prevents frigate spam from locking down large fleets - this was the original intended goal for the overwhelming force mechanic if I remember correctly.
  2. Still allows scouting - but of course scouting comes with some cost (the loss of a measly unarmed frigate), which I think it should as it makes it a real decision.
  3. Prevents wierd situations where you are unable to engage enemy forces that you should logically be able to engage. E.G., avoiding instances where the mechanics cause a small fleet, not just a single scout, to auto-run when you should really be able to engage them with "overwhelming force" and destroy them.
  4. Simple and clean mechanic.
06-11-2013, 12:14 AM
+1. Makes perfect sense to me that an overwhelming force would defeat an underwhelming one, and its destruction is just a way to not waste anyone's time on a forgone conclusion.
06-11-2013, 01:17 AM
+1. Good idea.

While I think the idea that the invading fleet should be able to retreat safely if it has faster combat speed than all ships in defending fleet is an interesting twist, it's too complicated and doesn't account for a fast scout flying in a little too close and getting nuked. So I'm in favor of the proposal that overwhelmed fleets are just killed.
06-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Destruction works for me

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
06-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Definitely liking this change more in game.
06-20-2013, 05:10 PM
+1 from me, too.

However, if destruction is switched on, some criteria should be changed: right now, a fleet of 10 Amoebas/Crystals (created by the Hatchery) flees from a single frigate. Seeing this fleet destroyed by a single frigate does not sound well...
07-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Any chance we can get rid of the endless combat tie up of single ships against massive fleets? I take a planet with a large fleet and my enemy can send endless single ship reenforcements at 1 turn intervals that take seconds to kill. I should be able at a minimum to split my fleet or have an instant destruction event that doesn't immobilize a huge fleet. Any thoughts?
07-17-2013, 04:19 AM
This is currently fixed in the beta / next-version to be released. If a fleet is going up another fleet 10x or more its size (in production value), that smaller fleet is automatically destroyed at the start of the turn, allowing the bigger fleet to move away as normal.
07-20-2013, 08:03 AM
(07-17-2013 04:19 AM)Mezmorki Wrote:  This is currently fixed in the beta / next-version to be released. If a fleet is going up another fleet 10x or more its size (in production value), that smaller fleet is automatically destroyed at the start of the turn, allowing the bigger fleet to move away as normal.

I see this behavior when going up against a fleet sitting idle at a planet. But if a battle just occurred, i'm pretty sure that my opponent was sending weak frigates against my huge fleet as a reinforcement and I still had to fight each one.