Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If tech get stolen from me, should messages show me?
10-04-2014, 01:28 AM
If tech get stolen from me, should messages show me?
Should (or do) enemy spies that steal from me always get reported in the messages section so I know a tech was stolen? Assuming I have defensive spies? I thought I was always supposed to get a message, but not sure. I did not is why I am asking. Want to understand how this works.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 01:37 AM
RE: If tech get stolen from me, should messages show me?
(10-04-2014 01:28 AM)sfatula Wrote:  Should (or do) enemy spies that steal from me always get reported in the messages section so I know a tech was stolen? Assuming I have defensive spies? I thought I was always supposed to get a message, but not sure. I did not is why I am asking. Want to understand how this works.

I was a bit surprised when I did my 600 turn pass-and-play to figure out spying. I don't remember getting messages, but then again, I think I had dismissed spies.

Would be worth opening up a pass-and-play to try out with a couple of defensive spies (I don't have time atm). My guess is that you only find out on things like loss RP, Money, Ships exploding, Fleet slow-down, etc., but not as much on tech. In the 600-turn games, even without defensive spies I was told about all the global hits, but not about tech.

In live games, I know that people have stolen tech from me, and I always have as least 1 defensive spy, but I don't remember being told what tech was stolen. But would like to test more to figure it out if I get a chance.
10-04-2014, 01:58 AM
I sure USED to get messages about stolen tech.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
10-04-2014, 02:03 AM
(10-04-2014 01:58 AM)sfatula Wrote:  I sure USED to get messages about stolen tech.

Just remembered that my pass-and-play games in Beta have almost all the tech, so positive hits showed no new tech.

That would make it harder to test.

I do remember (a long time ago) learning that someone stole Proton 3 from me, and thinking how much that wasn't great. Point being I do remember knowing that people stole key tech from me, but I don't recall it recently.
10-04-2014, 02:29 AM
Each defending agent has a 10% chance (modified by empire spying bonuses) to detect a successful enemy spy event.

Some enemy spy events give a sitrep anyway, in order to keep player confusion down, but the sitreps are generical (you know, a technical malfunction caused instead of "agents report spies from player X did this").

Other spy events, like stealing tech, won't give generics and you need agents to be able to detect.
10-04-2014, 02:39 AM
(10-04-2014 02:29 AM)rocco Wrote:  Each defending agent has a 10% chance (modified by empire spying bonuses) to detect a successful enemy spy event.

Some enemy spy events give a sitrep anyway, in order to keep player confusion down, but the sitreps are generical (you know, a technical malfunction caused instead of "agents report spies from player X did this").

Other spy events, like stealing tech, won't give generics and you need agents to be able to detect.

Thanks Roc! Very clear, and saves me a lot of testing. I'm assuming it is 10 percent for each spy independent of the other spies present (i.e., like ECM). 10 spies does not equal 100 percent chance.
10-04-2014, 03:49 AM
(10-04-2014 02:39 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Thanks Roc! Very clear, and saves me a lot of testing. I'm assuming it is 10 percent for each spy independent of the other spies present (i.e., like ECM). 10 spies does not equal 100 percent chance.

Correct, its like ECM.
10-04-2014, 04:23 AM
(10-04-2014 03:49 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 02:39 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Thanks Roc! Very clear, and saves me a lot of testing. I'm assuming it is 10 percent for each spy independent of the other spies present (i.e., like ECM). 10 spies does not equal 100 percent chance.

Correct, its like ECM.

If I did my math correctly, 22 spies with no bonus will get you a 90% success rate. Need 29 to hit 95%. 44 to hit 99%. With 8 spies you'll learn about your losses more than half the time.
12-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Seems correct to me, except that 28 spies is closer to 95% than 29 spies.

GC ID: anthee999