Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
More tactics - delay move option; plasma balancing
02-20-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: More tactics - delay move option; plasma balancing
(02-20-2015 12:33 PM)anthee Wrote:  What were the respective CPs of the fleets in question and did the battleships have any engines? Did either side have combat pilots?

Also, are we talking about plasma 3 VS IPC3 here, and did the battleships have only IPC?

Battleships had no engines, they were shield (3 maybe?), 2 armor, 2 bulkhead, maybe some ecm, don't recall exactly at this point. Neither side had pilots. The battleships were using IPC3 with 2 or 3 laser 3s to help burn down shields. Don't remember the exact CP values of either fleet, but IIRC they were pretty close, not a massively larger fleet on either side. And yes, plasma 3 and IPC3.

Not sure how much engines on the battleship would help unless you stack like 3 of em, which just makes the battleships even more ridiculously expensive.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2015, 01:02 AM
(02-20-2015 03:40 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(02-20-2015 12:33 PM)anthee Wrote:  What were the respective CPs of the fleets in question and did the battleships have any engines? Did either side have combat pilots?

Also, are we talking about plasma 3 VS IPC3 here, and did the battleships have only IPC?

Battleships had no engines, they were shield (3 maybe?), 2 armor, 2 bulkhead, maybe some ecm, don't recall exactly at this point. Neither side had pilots. The battleships were using IPC3 with 2 or 3 laser 3s to help burn down shields. Don't remember the exact CP values of either fleet, but IIRC they were pretty close, not a massively larger fleet on either side. And yes, plasma 3 and IPC3.

Not sure how much engines on the battleship would help unless you stack like 3 of em, which just makes the battleships even more ridiculously expensive.

For a battleship with ICP3, I'd think you'd want the highest shields available, 2 (or 3) ecm depending on what your opponent has, and 2 HA2 (or 1 HA2/1RB2). That leaves 2 slots if you have PO2 (1 if you have 3 ECM). Those should be engines. I don't know if that 2600+ cost ship would beat 4 ~600 cost frigates with good shields, 3 Plasma 3, HA2, ECM, RB2 (or engines). The battleship has 8 IPC but starts out pretty far away, and can't turn; the 4 frigates have 12 plasma raining 27 damage/turn each. Of course there is the CP difference of 4 vs 3 to consider too.

Mobility is definitely key. I've built some mammoths with all IPC. The battle usually avoids them (an opponent's plasma frigates keep long, target closest, so they are pushed away by any ship that gets close, and usually far enough to avoid most of the combat with the bigger ship). With 2 engines, maybe they get there. But with no engines, my money is on the plasma frigates.

Of course, this is why proton 3 was invented. Well, one of the reasons. Cleans out other frigates. I've only found plasma useful in games where people don't research and use proton w/FML and WO2. And IPC mostly for starbase busting if you go mostly missile or laser. It is just too slow. Without engines it falls to Proton and Plasma.

I don't have access to the beta battle simulator anymore but would be worth some tests for balance purposes.
02-21-2015, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2015 08:43 AM by Shep.)
IPC having long range helps seemingly mainly for the SB, as IPC SB vs. Plasma ships isn't a good deal for the latter.

Right now, is there a better tactic than SB busting IPC capitol ships and proton fml frigs for offense?

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)