Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions about interstellar distance
12-26-2011, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 01:09 PM by mroyer.)
Questions about interstellar distance
I'm a bit confused about Interstellar distances as displayed physically on the main galaxy view.

Often, stars that are much further from my selected ships will be bright and stars relatively close will be dimmed. What's going on with that? Is it some sort of 3d effect?

Also, trying to map out a stellar route for shorter range ships, how can I tell which stars will be in range from the next star the ship will be at? Since the ship is not there, yet, I cannot see which stars will be brightened, and due to the first effect I mention above, I cannot intuit ranges based on scanning grid boxes.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any explanations/suggestions.

-Mark R.

------

-Mark R.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2011, 01:16 PM
RE: Questions about interstellar distance
(12-26-2011 01:07 PM)mroyer Wrote:  I'm a bit confused about Interstellar distances as displayed physically on the main galaxy view.

Often, stars that are much further from my selected ships will be bright and stars relatively close will be dimmed. What's going on with that? Is it some sort of 3d effect?

Also, trying to map out a stellar route for shorter range ships, how can I tell which stars will be in range from the next star the ship will be at? Since the ship is not there, yet, I cannot see which stars will be brightened, and due to the first effect I mention above, I cannot intuit ranges based on scanning grid boxes.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any explanations/suggestions.

-Mark R.

What star a ship is at doesn't matter for determining where it can go. Range is simply determined from what planets you own, your ship can get to any planet in rnage of any of your current planets directly, you don't have to go specifically from planet to planet. As for the closer vs further stars for being in range, the isometric view screws up distances. Stars above and below appear closer than stars the same stellar distance away to the right and left.
12-27-2011, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2011 01:56 AM by bmike.)
(12-26-2011 01:16 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(12-26-2011 01:07 PM)mroyer Wrote:  I'm a bit confused about Interstellar distances as displayed physically on the main galaxy view.

What star a ship is at doesn't matter for determining where it can go. Range is simply determined from what planets you own, your ship can get to any planet in rnage of any of your current planets directly, you don't have to go specifically from planet to planet. As for the closer vs further stars for being in range, the isometric view screws up distances. Stars above and below appear closer than stars the same stellar distance away to the right and left.

Although range does depend more on distance from your closest colony, knowing the distance between arbitrary stars is important to offense and defense since distance is a time penalty for a ship to get to a planet system in time for a battle. There are countless times where I have had to guess - can my ship on planet Y get to planet X before my opponent's fleet lands on Z and turns around to react to my move.

A navigation screen where you could use two touches to measure the distance between start (or perhaps three or more touches in sequence to build up a route) and have a heads up display of how long it would take you (and your opponents) to travel the distance that is measured. This would remove some guesswork from the current games and not really expose any information you couldn't gather by keeping a notepad and ordering ships to travel, seeing the travel calculation and working back to distance. Depending on the desired gameplay change, it could be intentionally vague or error prone for planets that are either out of range by a little or a lot or it could be presumed that one way or another, each species has an accurate map of the galaxy even if their intelligence about the planets and ownership are outdated when not in scanner range.
12-27-2011, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2011 02:54 PM by mroyer.)
(12-26-2011 01:16 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  What star a ship is at doesn't matter for determining where it can go. Range is simply determined from what planets you own, your ship can get to any planet in rnage of any of your current planets directly, you don't have to go specifically from planet to planet.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this has not been my experience. When I select a ship, some stars I've explored might remain unbright, meaning I can't go directly there. Moreover, I can't figure out which other brightened star I need to go to first to get to my original intended destination (hard to describe this in words Tongue )

(12-26-2011 01:16 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  As for the closer vs further stars for being in range, the isometric view screws up distances. Stars above and below appear closer than stars the same stellar distance away to the right and left.

I'm not so sure about this either. Right now, in a solo game, my frigate can reach a star that is 18 grid-boxes away but cannot reach one that is only 12 grid-boxes away. Since the boxes are shown as parallelograms, that should account for any isometric view distortions.

I'm still very confused...

Nevertheless, thanks for attempting to explain it to me - perhaps it'll eventually sink in to the dense matter between my ears.

-Mark R.

(12-27-2011 01:51 AM)bmike Wrote:  Although range does depend more on distance from your closest colony, knowing the distance between arbitrary stars is important to offense and defense since distance is a time penalty for a ship to get to a planet system in time for a battle. There are countless times where I have had to guess - can my ship on planet Y get to planet X before my opponent's fleet lands on Z and turns around to react to my move.

Yes,yes,YES!

I'm not sure whether the game doesn't make the info available or I just haven't figured it out yet, but navigation around known-space seems very much guesswork to me so far...Trying to beat the enemy to a star is a combination of guessing stellar distances, ship ranges and ETA's..

Not complaining here, just trying to figure out what info noob-me is missing and what is actually not there in the game.
-Mark R.

------

-Mark R.
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
(12-27-2011 10:50 AM)mroyer Wrote:  Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this has not been my experience. When I select a ship, some stars I've explored might remain unbright, meaning I can't go directly there. Moreover, I can't figure out which other brightened star I need to go to first to get to my original intended destination (hard to describe this in words Tongue )

This is probably because you explored it with your scouts you start out with and are trying to get there with a differnet ship (starting destroyer or another ship you've built yourself). Scouts have the additional fuel reserves system on them, so they have additional range over other ships (you can build other ships with the fuel reserves, most people just generally don't want to spend the extra production). So the scouts can explore other systems your normal ships can't reach (colony ship has the additional range as well and cna get to any planet a scout can).

Quote:I'm not so sure about this either. Right now, in a solo game, my frigate can reach a star that is 18 grid-boxes away but cannot reach one that is only 12 grid-boxes away. Since the boxes are shown as parallelograms, that should account for any isometric view distortions.

I'm still very confused...

Nevertheless, thanks for attempting to explain it to me - perhaps it'll eventually sink in to the dense matter between my ears.

-Mark R.

Not sure what the issue is here. Are you counting distance using diagonals where possible, or counting from edge to edge (kinda zig zagging when it's in a diagonal direction)? Ships travel using the diagonals as 1 parsec or whatever the distance measurement is, so that could make a difference. Perhaps if you could grab a screenshot of what you're talking about it would make it easier for all of us (distance stuff is hard to figure out the right words to explain...).
12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
(12-27-2011 12:43 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  (distance stuff is hard to figure out the right words to explain...).

Right... hard to explain Smile
How do you get a screen shot from an iPad?

-Mark R.

------

-Mark R.
12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
(12-27-2011 02:53 PM)mroyer Wrote:  
(12-27-2011 12:43 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  (distance stuff is hard to figure out the right words to explain...).

-Mark R.

Press the home and lock buttons at the same time (or it might be releasing them at the same time that matters), and it should save a screen shot to your photo roll
12-28-2011, 01:25 AM
(12-27-2011 04:17 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(12-27-2011 02:53 PM)mroyer Wrote:  

-Mark R.

Press the home and lock buttons at the same time (or it might be releasing them at the same time that matters), and it should save a screen shot to your photo roll

It's the release time - both buttons need to be released within the same short time window. You can hit one and hold it for seconds then hit the other as long as the release is very close to simultaneous.
12-28-2011, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 05:18 AM by mroyer.)
In the following screen shot, the ships at Jabbah can reach the distant yellow star (indicated by red arrow), but can't reach the relatively nearby red dwarf (indicated by green arrow). I can't figure this out. If I wanted to get ships to the red dwarf, for example, what route do I need to take? Why can't they go there directly, being so near by.

-Mark R.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

------

-Mark R.
12-28-2011, 05:25 AM
(12-28-2011 05:17 AM)mroyer Wrote:  In the following screen shot, the ships at Jabbah can reach the distant yellow star (indicated by red arrow), but can't reach the relatively nearby red dwarf (indicated by green arrow). I can't figure this out. If I wanted to get ships to the red dwarf, for example, what route do I need to take? Why can't they go there directly, being so near by.

-Mark R.

Huh, no idea what the problem is there, since it looks like the red star is only 9 parsecs away from Jabbah, while the yellow one you can reach looks like its 10 away from Maaz, so I would think the red one should be in range as well...I think we need Rocco in here to answer how exactly distances and travel work. As for getting to the red dwarf, there's no different route you can take to get there, you'd have to colonize another planet that's closer than the ones you have currently (Zavijava perhaps?) in order to expand your empire out to where you can reach it. You can reach the yellow star cause it's in range of Maaz.

Do you have any other planets colonized that aren't visible in that screenshot (doesn't look like it cause it looks like all the stars on the edges are darkened showing you can't get there, but worth asking).