• 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Tech Tree
05-18-2012, 02:57 PM
RE: The Tech Tree
Yes, great post VL!

GC: Elph -=- GC Sandbox: Elph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2012, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012 02:59 PM by Bruin.)
Great post, Vander. I agree with basically all of it and like the Warp Gate idea.

GCID: Bruin; Sandbox: Bru-test-in
Find all posts by this user
05-19-2012, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012 02:58 AM by StandAlone.)
I've thought about Vanderlegion's post and made some evaluations about the tech tree and how I would like it structured. Here it is. See my comments about it at the end.

Astrophysics Research
Improved Star Drive
Improved Fuel Cells
Planetary Gravity Generator
Personal Cloaking Device
Shield Modulation Unit
Artificial Nebula
Warp Gate
Energy Shields
Improved Energy Controller
ECM Jammer
Hull Design - Titan
Hull Design - Mammoth

Military Research
Laser Beam
Nuclear Missile
Pacifist Overhaul
Heavy Armor Plating
Gauss Turret
Point Defense System
Warlord Overhaul
Plasma Turret
Reinforced Bulkheads
Stockpiled Ordinance
Fast Missile Launcher
Ion Pulse Cannon
Proton Torpedos
Orbital Bombardment Package
Auxiliary Thrusters
Combat Engines
Starbase
Marine Barracks

Civil Research
Hydroponics Center
Research Center
Efficient Factories
Improved Colony Infrastructure
Terraforming
Robotics Facility
Planetary Core Mining
Gaia Device
Trade Port
Orbital Laboratory
Orbital Weather Controller
Space Elevator
Cloning Facility

Empire Wide Tech
Advanced Farming Techniques
Efficient Tax Collectors
Clandestine Initiative
Security Training
Colony Security Facility
Advanced City Planning
Sanctioned Sports
Colony Ships
Exopolitics

I tried to evaluate the techs based on their nature and distributing the difficulty related to making research choices. This is what i came up with. I think a strong case can be made for making both ACP and SS into empire wide techs. I won't make them here. I put colony ships in there because they are merely upgrades to the existing colony ship and automatically update when achieved.

(Pulls pin and runs for Cover)Big Grin

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
05-19-2012, 03:41 AM
I like the ideas here. I especially like how starbases was moved to military. I think that choice makes a lot of sense: I have to chose between more powerful weapons and more powerful platforms for those weapons. Great job. I think I can fully endorsee this choice.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I agree that astro has too great a concentration of techs I'd like to have. I endorse moving WG forward, and I've always wondered why starbase isn't military and orb labs isn't civil along with RC. I kind of feel that system-wide space tech could make sense in astro. Everyone's opinions aside, I feel that VL has some good points that resonate with many of us, and diluting astro so that more good tech is available makes sense, or alternatively, thickening up civil and military to create more hard choices...
05-19-2012, 12:06 PM
(05-19-2012 11:56 AM)Teet_III Wrote:  I agree that astro has too great a concentration of techs I'd like to have. I endorse moving WG forward, and I've always wondered why starbase isn't military and orb labs isn't civil along with RC. I kind of feel that system-wide space tech could make sense in astro.

The problem I have with moving labs to the civil tree is that I kinda like how its set up right now. Atm, you have civil/astro each have 1 tech for extra food per farmer, 1 tech for increased income, 1 tech for increased research. I like that you can get similar effects from different trees depending how you want to research/what you're aiming for in the long run.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
05-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Aren't hard choices the core of the game? I agree with all of VL's points except the conclusion - astro is the "toughest" to choose, but that makes it the most interesting and not the least. The others are pretty much set - VL shows that by explaining the standard route through the tree, no tough decisions.

We should be looking to make more tough decisions, not fewer.
05-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I support starbase beeing moved to military tree. Makes sense.

But I kind of think it is good that you have so many hard choices in the astro tree. It adds to the depth of the game. For example if I choose important techs like faster travel speeds I could loose out on important techs long term...

So I have to decide early if I try for a rush or want to play it cool

Cheers
05-23-2012, 02:21 AM
I agree with tough choices to an extent. The point of losing tech is so there is variation in what people are good at. Weaponry, this choice is crucial. I even argue that for astrophysics.

Technology that needs to be researched to make the game competitive, is important.

Someone mentioned a Black Market Idea. I really like this, and it can be limited a number of ways.

1. Doubles in price with each purchase. You can make it so you only can buy technologies that have been missed, and you make it expensive. Then when you wish to use the black market again, the cost has doubled. And it doubles again, till it has priced itself out of usefulness.

2. My favorite method, tie the black market into espionage. You don't pay as much, and only technologies that have been researched by all players are available. Based on your contact rating and number of spies, the price goes up or down. Once you select a technology to steal, it takes into account the normal process of the espionage mechanic and you end up with the tech you wanted. This can allow people to potentially get technology that they missed that they want, and could potentially improve the espionage function so its less arbitrary and/or ruthless (I have not played 1.1.4 beta with the new spy contact rating, so I am basing my thoughts on spying from previous versions.)

3. You can almost have a separate, unmodifiable black market research tree that only "starts" when you pay the money upfront. So you want star drives, but you are going to miss starbase II. So you put your research on star drives, but then put your extra cash to initiate "black market" research in starbase II. It might take a lot longer to get, but you atleast know you are getting it.
05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
+1 to the black market tied into espionage idea. It sounds fun.

Back to the idea of sacrificing tech, yes, that is the point of a tough decision. But I would like to see some better tough decisions. Like I mentioned before, it makes more sense to me that you would need to choose between larger starbases or better weapons to equip on a smaller starbase.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game