Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Tech Tree
05-27-2012, 03:16 AM
RE: The Tech Tree
(05-23-2012 04:01 PM)falanor4421 Wrote:  +1 to the black market tied into espionage idea. It sounds fun.

Back to the idea of sacrificing tech, yes, that is the point of a tough decision. But I would like to see some better tough decisions. Like I mentioned before, it makes more sense to me that you would need to choose between larger starbases or better weapons to equip on a smaller starbase.

Yeah, the black market idea is great imo. I don't know if any of you have played Star Wars: Empire At War Forces of Corruption, but in that game you send "Defiler' units (spies in this case) to a planet and one of the things you can do is buy techs, for a high price.

These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call. The way the camera follows us in slow mo, the way we look to us all. The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky. These are the days of miracle and wonder, and don't cry, baby, don't cry.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
(05-18-2012 12:00 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(05-18-2012 11:53 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  That's kinda what I figured since I didn't recall it ever having been mentioned for 1.1.4

It's a good topic for discussion for v1.1.5; if I'm adding research rollover, then I can also look at adding a fourth tech category.

Whatever its called, it would need to take tech from military and civil branches; they both have more tech in them than astrophysics.

It could be structural based tech. you can throw in some buildings and ship based tech
05-28-2012, 11:06 AM
(05-19-2012 02:57 AM)StandAlone Wrote:  I've thought about Vanderlegion's post and made some evaluations about the tech tree and how I would like it structured. Here it is. See my comments about it at the end.

Astrophysics Research
Improved Star Drive
Improved Fuel Cells
Planetary Gravity Generator
Personal Cloaking Device
Shield Modulation Unit
Artificial Nebula
Warp Gate
Energy Shields
Improved Energy Controller
ECM Jammer
Hull Design - Titan
Hull Design - Mammoth

Military Research
Laser Beam
Nuclear Missile
Pacifist Overhaul
Heavy Armor Plating
Gauss Turret
Point Defense System
Warlord Overhaul
Plasma Turret
Reinforced Bulkheads
Stockpiled Ordinance
Fast Missile Launcher
Ion Pulse Cannon
Proton Torpedos
Orbital Bombardment Package
Auxiliary Thrusters
Combat Engines
Starbase
Marine Barracks

Civil Research
Hydroponics Center
Research Center
Efficient Factories
Improved Colony Infrastructure
Terraforming
Robotics Facility
Planetary Core Mining
Gaia Device
Trade Port
Orbital Laboratory
Orbital Weather Controller
Space Elevator
Cloning Facility

Empire Wide Tech
Advanced Farming Techniques
Efficient Tax Collectors
Clandestine Initiative
Security Training
Colony Security Facility
Advanced City Planning
Sanctioned Sports
Colony Ships
Exopolitics

I tried to evaluate the techs based on their nature and distributing the difficulty related to making research choices. This is what i came up with. I think a strong case can be made for making both ACP and SS into empire wide techs. I won't make them here. I put colony ships in there because they are merely upgrades to the existing colony ship and automatically update when achieved.

(Pulls pin and runs for Cover)Big Grin

I'm not so sure about lumping most of the empire wide bonuses into one catagory while they makes sense in a list, when looked at from a research perspective (something I'll admit I'm still trying to grasp in it's entirety) it would seem to me that this would allow some of the more powerful useful tech to be research quickly without much loss. Now that many of them no longer require buildings to take effect that means the benefit is automatically implemented and to be able to research them without having a bunch of other techs you have to work your way around and through would give researching in the empire wide tech tree a decided advantage early mid game.
Just a thought.
06-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Currently, a research build should run out of things to research by 420-430. However, because skills are reasonably easy to cap, someone can run for Laser 3, a couple of ship defense techs and expect to win the game without having to worry about a foe having vastly superior technology. despite otherwise ignoring research/science tech.

In general, I would like technology to have 4 or more levels - For instance, Trade Ports 1-5. With scaling costs, boosts, for each level. Costs and rewards can be adjusted to remain in line with where they are now or scaled up, depending on how it drives balance, but in general, more things to research and more complicated trade-offs please.

I would like tech level 3+ to be unavailable until you have a substantial % of the preceding tech level. For instance, not being able to research Laser 3 until you have more than 50% of the weapon tech 2 lists. Tech 4 could require most of level 3 in the category and tech 2 in the other categories. etc. Getting everything researched should be HARD.

Brilliant Researchers should only provide bonus techs of lesser or equal cost. For instance, researching Nuclear Missile 1 and getting free Mammoth ships is excessively efficient. Currently, once you have brilliant researchers & First Cerebrum you always research the fastest tech - and have a 70% or so chance of getting a "free tech" that costs more because you are researching the cheapest on the list of potential options.

In the current research system, small minded researchers is a PERK and Broad Minded researchers is a FLAW. If you move to the idea of having lots of levels of different tech types with level requirements to access, the list of available tech will shrink substantially. If researching laser 2 will not provide access to laser 3, then suddenly the size of the list starts to matter. If narrow minded scientists can only see 1-2 options, normal is 3, and broad is 4-5, the current distributions of costs/rewards will make a lot more sense. The idea is that Broad should give you a better chance of getting access to technology you want - right now, because things rotate off the list so fast and take forever to come back, it doesn't. You could also run this with categories that refresh after each research wave - If you split tech into 5 categories, Broad could see all 5, small could randomly get to choose from 3, and normal from 4.

I tend to divide research categories in this game as follows:
Offensive Ship Weaponry
Defensive Ship Boosts
New Ship Types (Having to research Battleships would be a plus IMO)
Financial Infrastructure
Research Infrastructure
Production Infrastructure
Spying/Bureaucratic Infrastucture

Things I would love to see in game that are not.
Ships that enable you to "mine" gas giants and asteroid belts for Galactic Credits.
A ship module that is required for Tech 3+ weaponry - by weapon type, like an Energy amplifier for Lasers. Energy Amplifier 4 would enable 4 Laser 3's or 1 Laser 7, - and you could equip multiples. (i.e. more tradeoffs/flexibility).

It should be noted that I tend to play vs. the computer exclusively. A research build is going to play very differently vs. humans. For instance, you won't always win First Cerebrum.

Keep up the great work.