Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
Frequently Asked Questions
05-19-2012, 04:03 AM
RE: Frequently Asked Questions
Something like that. Say, how hold together works, or maybe when a long distance tactic is called for vs a medium distance.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2012, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2012 04:07 AM by VanderLegion.)
(05-19-2012 04:03 AM)falanor4421 Wrote:  Something like that. Say, how hold together works, or maybe when a long distance tactic is called for vs a medium distance.

Hold together perhaps, though I...never use it anymore outside of with starbases. The Long distance vs medium seems like more of a tactics thing than an FAQ/how does it work.
Maybe add a common tactics/strategies section to the academy thread?

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
05-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Good idea. How about you cover the FAQ and i"ll write up a tactics section and post it over there.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
05-19-2012, 04:20 AM
(05-19-2012 04:11 AM)falanor4421 Wrote:  Good idea. How about you cover the FAQ and i"ll write up a tactics section and post it over there.

works for me

05-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Also: anyone else can feel free to write up question/answers that I can just copy and paste into the original post if you have ideas to go in and don't want to wait for me to write em up. Though I reserve the right to edit them before I put them in if I so desire Tongue

05-22-2012, 04:21 PM
When you get a free tech from exploration, is it always the tech you are currently researching?

How does morale work? E.g., does it stack with racial bonuses, building bonuses, etc? What are the the % values for morale increasing buildings and racial boosts (for the ones that aren't explicit in the text)?

What aspects of random planet events are mirrored? I.e., if you get pirate treasure on one island, is it an equivalent special on the mirror planet(s) or can it be something else?
05-22-2012, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2012 04:28 PM by VanderLegion.)
(05-22-2012 04:21 PM)Sanchez Wrote:  When you get a free tech from exploration, is it always the tech you are currently researching?

No, it's not always your current research. As far as I know, it can be any tech that is currently available for you to research in any of the 3 trees.

Quote:How does morale work? E.g., does it stack with racial bonuses, building bonuses, etc? What are the the % values for morale increasing buildings and racial boosts (for the ones that aren't explicit in the text)?
I'm guessing it does not stack (as in if you have +7 production from a very rich planet worker, +2 from amazing industrialists, and +10% morale, it would only apply to the 7, not the 9 total, so you'd end up with 9.7 production for the worker, with however that falls out with rounding etc), but am unsure. Freethinking is 10%, not sure what else there is with that isn't explicit.

Quote:What aspects of random planet events are mirrored? I.e., if you get pirate treasure on one island, is it an equivalent special on the mirror planet(s) or can it be something else?
My understanding is that if you find a pirate treasure, your opponents planet will also have a treasure. If you find a monster, your opponent's planet will also have a monster. If you find a free tech, your opponent's planet will also have a free tech, but it won't necessarily be the same free tech, the actual tech received is random.

If rocco can chime in on those to make sure I'm actually correct (or give the correct answers), I can add stuff to the original post.

05-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks VL. I guess I got super lucky getting the tech I was researching 3 times in a row, so I thought something had changed. Maybe I wasn't lucky in fact since I guess there is no science carry over, so I guess I lost any accumulated tubes!
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
(05-22-2012 04:30 PM)Sanchez Wrote:  Thanks VL. I guess I got super lucky getting the tech I was researching 3 times in a row, so I thought something had changed. Maybe I wasn't lucky in fact since I guess there is no science carry over, so I guess I lost any accumulated tubes!

If you switch techs (or discover the tech you're researching and have to subsequently change to something else), you keep all the research you've accumulated. You just don't carry over research spillover when you finish researching a tech. So if you have 50 RP left to get your new tech and you gain 300 RP for the turn, you'll spend the 50 to finish said tech, and lose the other 250.

Research spillover is most likely coming in 1.1.5, but it'll change how it works at the same time. The current idea is that RP will all be tree exclusive - if you're researching a civil project and decide to switch to a military one, you start over from 0 RP on said military tech. But then when you go back to research a civil tech again, all the RP you spent before will be there still so you'll be closer to finishing than if you started from scratch. At the same time, RP spillover will go in so that in the example above, you'd spend 50 RP to finish your tech, then have 250 RP ready for your next project in the same tree.

05-22-2012, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2012 05:42 PM by Sanchez.)
Thanks for the clarification on tech.

Sounds great about the new spillover rules. I'm really in favor of maximum spillover etc, anything which reduces non-strategic micro-management.

The last annoying micro I can think of is rounding issues with various fractional bonuses. E.g., how 1 pop on food might get you 2 food, but 2 pop gets you 5, kind of encouraging people to hit the magic numbers across their empire to maximize this stuff.

It can be reduced by tracking fractional food (it can be mostly hidden, with the occasional "bonus food" popping up when your fractions pass 1), but that's a fair bit of work, likely.
Another one:

How does the grid map to parsecs? A quick test shows that it's not just counting, and it's not euclidean with the squares having size 1 either.