Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
Frequently Asked Questions
07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
RE: Frequently Asked Questions
Roger that, thanks for the info. Never even looked at the Game Center thing...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2013, 07:52 PM
How does random 1v1 mp system works?

Who are suggested opponents in custom mp game?

Where can I find detailed information about planets apart from leaders relocating window?

aka HangGeek
09-28-2013, 12:04 AM
(09-27-2013 07:52 PM)soaring_high Wrote:  Who are suggested opponents in custom mp game?

In the current live version, suggested opponents are a random sampling of players that have been active in the last week.

In the next release, suggested opponents will be a random sampling of players that have been active in the last week, and match certain criteria you can set in your profile ( time zone, casual/active play).

(09-27-2013 07:52 PM)soaring_high Wrote:  How does random 1v1 mp system works?

It picks a random opponent from a valid "suggested opponents" list; so in theory you are always matched with someone that has been online in the last week.
10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I am having a little trouble finding up to date info on game mechanics. The help texts in game are extremely vague in many cases. Is there a manual of some sort anywhere?
I'll ask my questions here, to also give examples of what missing info I am talking about =)

1. I saw somewhere in this forum that freethinking is 10% morale. Is that still accurate, and where was I supposed to find that information in game?
2. There are some forum posts that list effects of Shared Intel, but they are a year old or more. What's the current math on that?
3. How much damage are shields negating this build? Level? Level*2? And how exactly does IEC and SMU interact with shields?
4. I have seen in patch notes that there have been a lot of changes lately, to combat turns, when retreat happens, and miss chances during evade and retreat. What did we end up with exactly? And how can I check that without going through every patch note since?
5. Likewise, there seems to be a lot of changes coming to Brilliant Res and Cerebrum. Will the help file and other in game descriptions be properly updated this time?
6. Jack Gentry is another great example of simply inadequate in game descriptions. He has Raider bays and Stellar Burst Cannon? Sounds awesome, but that tells me exactly nothing about what he will contribute with in a battle. What is a Raider? What does the Cannon do? Is it's performance tied to the ship class it is on?

There is more, obviously. I have managed to figure out a lot of it, but with things changing in new versions, both experience and forum posts get outdated. It would be great if the in game help actually provided information =)
10-22-2013, 03:51 AM
(10-19-2013 10:26 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  1. I saw somewhere in this forum that freethinking is 10% morale. Is that still accurate, and where was I supposed to find that information in game?

Hasn't changed. Dunno where to find it in-game.

(10-19-2013 10:26 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  2. There are some forum posts that list effects of Shared Intel, but they are a year old or more. What's the current math on that?

Found by going to the Whipping Post, searching for Shared:

- Tweak: The algorithm behind Shared Intel has been changed. Before the bonus was set based on certain tiers of population (the bonus was the same for 3-5 pop, then 6-11, then 12-17, 18-23, etc..). The bonus is now determined by the formula sin(population/25.0)*2.35-0.5 .

(10-19-2013 10:26 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  3. How much damage are shields negating this build? Level? Level*2? And how exactly does IEC and SMU interact with shields?

- Tweak: Shield damage reduction values used to scale based upon the amount of shields available; now shields always reduce the full amount of damage so long as there are any shield points available.
- Tweak: Lasers now have a 2x damage modifier against shields (was 1.5x)
- Tweak: Plasmas now have a 1.5x damage modifier against shields (was 2.0x)
- Tweak: Nuclear missiles now do bonus damage to ship structure equal to 5% of the current ship structure (bonus damage only applies to damage that makes it past shields)
- Tweak: All base shield points are now double what they were. Shield base damage blocking changed to 2/4/6/8 (was 1/2/3/4).

IEC? SMU?

(10-19-2013 10:26 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  4. I have seen in patch notes that there have been a lot of changes lately, to combat turns, when retreat happens, and miss chances during evade and retreat. What did we end up with exactly? And how can I check that without going through every patch note since?

- Trial: moved the number of combat turns per combat round to 25 (was 20 in prev change); retreating set to happen at turn 15 (was 18 in prev change).

I am pretty sure this was final.

- Tweak: In previous version we added a flat 20% chance to miss on any ship evading or retreating. This has now been changed to a scaling chance to miss based upon the current range of ship to target. Weapons will have a range of 10% - 40% chance to miss, based on current range (far away targets, more chance to miss). It also now affects all weapons.

(10-19-2013 10:26 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  5. Likewise, there seems to be a lot of changes coming to Brilliant Res and Cerebrum. Will the help file and other in game descriptions be properly updated this time?

- Leader Tweak: First Cerebrum
Planet: +3 research per scientist (was +6)
System: +5 research per planet
Ultimate: Brilliant researchers now acts the same as the racial.

- Balance: Brilliant researchers cost lowered to 6 (was 8 in previous beta)
Brilliant researchers has been changed back to a percentage chance of being rewarded a tech. However, there are two critical differences:
1) The chance for a new random tech is random, and only changed after a tech has been researched. This value is displayed on the research dialog (ie 60% chance for Brilliant Researchers), which opens up interesting opportunities for players to strategically pick their next tech to research.
2) If brilliant researchers fails to happen, then the percentage chance for the next brilliant researchers will be greater than the current chance was. For example, if you are researching nukes and have a 60% chance, and BR fails to produce tech, then the percentage chance for the next research time will be raised to something between 60% and 100%. This change reduces the chances for a player to have an "unlucky streak" for too long.

(10-19-2013 10:26 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  6. Jack Gentry is another great example of simply inadequate in game descriptions. He has Raider bays and Stellar Burst Cannon? Sounds awesome, but that tells me exactly nothing about what he will contribute with in a battle. What is a Raider? What does the Cannon do? Is it's performance tied to the ship class it is on?

On that, the raiders are gauss ships like dark matter produce. For the cannon, just put it on a ship and see for yourself. As far as I know, the damage of the cannon is the same regardless of ship size. In terms of gauss ships, my understanding is that the larger the ship, the more bays there are. Generally, I put Jack on the biggest, best defended ship I can afford (and even skip weapons on it if I don't have much money). So it is somewhat irrelevant. Early game, his weapon/ships will have a big effect, and making him live is important (so always take the biggest ship you can). Later game, his 15% bonus damage is what is important (so give him a big ship so he can live).

Most of this information can be found very quickly by going to the whipping post, and doing a search, starting with the most recent one. Reading the whipping post is always illuminating. I find myself going back to clarify questions such as what you are asking. It only took me a few minutes to look up all this info.

That said, if there is in-game information that is wrong, please point it out so it can be correct for future versions.
10-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Well, I see you actually went through the trouble I was hoping to avoid, so thanx for the help =) I guess I overestimated the difficulty of going through the patch notes. Still though, even if you find an entry in the Whipping post, there is no guarantee that hasn't changed in a later version, without going through ALL the text in there for each issue you want to search. And if it isn't in there, it doesn't matter how much you scan through, like for example Freethinking and most of the leader abilities.
I guess my point is, wouldn't it be great if the in game help file actually contained useful and updated information? The more versions are rolled out, the more daunting for a new player will it be to try to find out, for example, what Freethinking or Shared Intel actually does.

IEC and SMU are the shield upgrade techs. One doubles damage reduction, and one doubles recharge rate. I guess that's pretty straight forward once we know the BASE reduction and recharge =) Recharge rate is shield lvl*10 per combat round...?

On a related subject, whats the repair rate of Fantastic Engineers?
10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
(10-23-2013 04:14 AM)Emperor Matteus I Wrote:  Well, I see you actually went through the trouble I was hoping to avoid, so thanx for the help =) I guess I overestimated the difficulty of going through the patch notes. Still though, even if you find an entry in the Whipping post, there is no guarantee that hasn't changed in a later version, without going through ALL the text in there for each issue you want to search. And if it isn't in there, it doesn't matter how much you scan through, like for example Freethinking and most of the leader abilities.
I guess my point is, wouldn't it be great if the in game help file actually contained useful and updated information? The more versions are rolled out, the more daunting for a new player will it be to try to find out, for example, what Freethinking or Shared Intel actually does.

IEC and SMU are the shield upgrade techs. One doubles damage reduction, and one doubles recharge rate. I guess that's pretty straight forward once we know the BASE reduction and recharge =) Recharge rate is shield lvl*10 per combat round...?

On a related subject, whats the repair rate of Fantastic Engineers?

I just start at the most recent patch, and search for the key word. The most recent change is the final implementation.

However, I tried this on Fantastic Engineer. I couldn't find it anywhere, at least not in the last 1.5 years or so of Whipping Post. Then again, I can almost never fit FE into my build, because there are other better traits, IMHO. Combat Pilots, for example.

Same with the shield mods. I don't research how they work, because through empirical trial-and-error, there are just better things to take up those valuable slots on a ship. However, Shield Mod is good late game and you fear an artificial nebula (or want to use one yourself). But on a ship or a starbase, you'd almost always be better off with another ECM, engine, HA, or BH. Try building a titan with IEC and attacking the exact same titan with IEC replaced by HA2. Bet the HA2 wins.

A question on shield blocking that I don't know: is the block per individual weapon? Or for all weapons on a ship? When I've tried it, I quickly learned that there are better things to fill the slots, so stopped trying to learn about it.

I think the in-game text is a balance of trying to appeal to simplicity and providing detail. For 95 percent of people, knowing the SIN formula for Shared IQ is too much info. Having details on laser damage versus shield, now that is important.

If something is wrong in the in-game text, it should be pointed out and updated. If something is vague, but would be simple to fix, recommend that it be fixed if you happen to see it.

If you have a question on complex game mechanics, you've found the forum to ask. Roc's pasted code if the questions get too specific.
02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Was research spillover ever implemented? I can't find any mention of it in the release notes.
02-19-2014, 03:16 AM
(02-18-2014 06:03 PM)heihojin Wrote:  Was research spillover ever implemented? I can't find any mention of it in the release notes.

It was. It only applies to the same tree, so if you research EF1 and have extra research beyond what it takes to get it, any remaining will apply to the next civil tech. if you do star drives, any extra will go to the next astrophysics tech, etc.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
08-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Frequently Asked Questions
This may sound very noob ish but
how do i change my avatar i cant click on it or anything i already went into settings but still nothing
please help or pm me :/