Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Frequently Used Strategies
05-27-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: Frequently Used Strategies
(05-26-2012 05:36 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  To be fair, the OP never calls it a farming strategy, he calls it a farming BUILD, which is exactly what it is, a build designed to take advantage of farming. If you're using farming to get money, that doesn't change the fact that it's a farming build, as with a different build, farming to get cash wouldn't work nearly as well.

OK, you are right, there is definitely a farming build, and the OP called it in one place the farming build, but right above that was "Builds and their strategies:", so I assumed it was the build and the associated strategy (and I think the actual text bears this out).

Anyways, regardless of my belief that the only distinct farming strategy is a money one (and this is not likely to be competitive with a money-through-industry strategy unless you are very lucky in your planet distribution), I appreciate the effort falanor is making to get these strategies out there, and help players of all abilities.

If I we shouldn't discuss the merits of the published strategies here, then tell me and I'll shut up!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2012, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2012 02:57 PM by falanor4421.)
Hey, feel free to discuss the strategies and their implications, flaws, strengths, and whatever else you may want to. Also feel free to post your own strategies that you found effective, your own builds, or variations on the ones posted. This thread is intended and designed so that every conceivable strategy will be given a place to be heard.

But at the same time, everyone please remember no bashing/arguing just for bashing/arguing sake, ok? As someone said, your views and opinions on a strategy may and probably will be different than someone else's views, but that does not mean either is wrong. There is a time and place for every strategy, and what works for one may not work for another. The joy of this game is there are so many ways to play, and you can really customize it to fit exactly how you want Smile
I'll get some more strategies up tomorrow evening, I hope Smile

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
07-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Poor planets with farming ability can be breeding grounds for population expansion. Throw in a cloning center helps. Moving people from here to rich mineral planets can really speed up production on other planets with population room.
03-07-2013, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 09:42 AM by tactfulgamer.)
Falanor,
Beautiful thread. I have not read through it all, I will have to digest more later - but being mostly a Ascendancy player this helps me out a lot. Between you and VanderLegion. I will get up to speedin no time. I look forward to one day seeing you do YouTube builds when/if you get your hands on the proper tools to do so.

Wonderful thread indeed.
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
(07-21-2012 02:27 AM)NativeOutlander Wrote:  Poor planets with farming ability can be breeding grounds for population expansion. Throw in a cloning center helps. Moving people from here to rich mineral planets can really speed up production on other planets with population room.

They don't even need farming. Just poor planets in general. Get factories, robo facilities, PCM, sports and cloning on a poor planet with 1 population and you can get a pop per turn.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
09-17-2013, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 10:49 AM by draske.)
I think another build that should be mentioned is a population build. This could go along with a blitz strategy.

possible traits:

baby boomers 6: must get

shared intelligence 4: takes full advantage of the extra population, must get

repulsive -2: not a spy build, so it's basically it allows you to get points elsewhere

galactic navigators 1: try to find as many huge planets as possible

industrious individuals 3:boomers' biggest advantage is with civic funding, the industry bonus will help further

slow thinkers -3: shared intelligence and a high population can make up for this penalty

low gravity affinity -4: only if you grab planetary gravity generators as early as possible frees up points for elsewhere

huge homeworld 1: definitely takes advantage of high growth rate early on

rich homeworld 2: also helpful

blundering diplomats -2: diplomacy is not as important, AI will eventually declare war on you either way

there are some other nice traits

leaders:

terminifera: with all the extra population you could afford to expand more quickly, the reduced production cost to colony ships will help

xin: put on a huge toxic planet, same system as terminifera, put that planet on civic funding, distribute population to keep that planet half-full (or possibly ban her to keep anyone else from catching up if you mostly want to get terminifera)

play style:

try to expand relatively quickly, as you should have enough population to do so

definitely try to get cloning facilities and advanced city planning, build them on as many planets as possible, another nice technology is efficient tax collectors (it's bonus is on a per population basis)

keep non-industry planets about half full because population grows most quickly that way

take advantage of civic funding on some of the industry planets, civic funding makes growth rate tied to industry, keep those planets half-full and distribute extra population elsewhere

try to fill up your command points effectively (considering how much you'll be expanding, you should have a lot)

terraform planets if playing a long term strategy, the better the planet, the higher the maximum population
12-25-2013, 08:23 AM
I'd love to see an updated version of the original post in this thread. So many of the suggested attributes have either been changed or their costs have changed.
02-19-2015, 10:26 AM
(09-17-2013 10:38 AM)draske Wrote:  I think another build that should be mentioned is a population build. This could go along with a blitz strategy.

possible traits:

baby boomers 6: must get

shared intelligence 4: takes full advantage of the extra population, must get

repulsive -2: not a spy build, so it's basically it allows you to get points elsewhere

galactic navigators 1: try to find as many huge planets as possible

industrious individuals 3:boomers' biggest advantage is with civic funding, the industry bonus will help further

slow thinkers -3: shared intelligence and a high population can make up for this penalty

low gravity affinity -4: only if you grab planetary gravity generators as early as possible frees up points for elsewhere

huge homeworld 1: definitely takes advantage of high growth rate early on

rich homeworld 2: also helpful

blundering diplomats -2: diplomacy is not as important, AI will eventually declare war on you either way

there are some other nice traits

leaders:

terminifera: with all the extra population you could afford to expand more quickly, the reduced production cost to colony ships will help

xin: put on a huge toxic planet, same system as terminifera, put that planet on civic funding, distribute population to keep that planet half-full (or possibly ban her to keep anyone else from catching up if you mostly want to get terminifera)

play style:

try to expand relatively quickly, as you should have enough population to do so

definitely try to get cloning facilities and advanced city planning, build them on as many planets as possible, another nice technology is efficient tax collectors (it's bonus is on a per population basis)

keep non-industry planets about half full because population grows most quickly that way

take advantage of civic funding on some of the industry planets, civic funding makes growth rate tied to industry, keep those planets half-full and distribute extra population elsewhere

try to fill up your command points effectively (considering how much you'll be expanding, you should have a lot)

terraform planets if playing a long term strategy, the better the planet, the higher the maximum population

Yes, please update this so that its current. Sounds like a sound strategy.