Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My thoughts on Leaders
06-06-2012, 06:30 AM
RE: My thoughts on Leaders
(05-28-2012 02:17 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  First Cerebrum
Another of my favorites, a lot of extra research (I always put him in my home system, so that's a +30 instant research), especially if you put him on your actually homeworld. If I haven't gotten any of the production boosting leaders, that's exactly what I'll do to get the most research I can. The brilliant researchers bonus is amazing as well (is it a higher percentage that just having the racial would be otherwise?)

Did we ever get an answer to the Brilliant Researchers question? Also, does the percentage stack with Brilliant Researchers racial trait... and how is that percentage calculated to begin with? I feel like it's affected by the amount of RP you generate.

---
GC: CliffTheScript
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 06:42 AM
(06-06-2012 06:30 AM)CliffTheScript Wrote:  Did we ever get an answer to the Brilliant Researchers question? Also, does the percentage stack with Brilliant Researchers racial trait... and how is that percentage calculated to begin with? I feel like it's affected by the amount of RP you generate.

Thanks for bringing this up, as I looked into it and found a bug Smile

In v1.1.4, the chance for if you have brilliant researchers is 25% to unlock an additional technology. If you have cerebrum, he provides a 50% chance to unlock an additional technology (whether you are brilliant or not). This was not intended.

In v1.1.5, the chance for brilliant researchers is still 25%. if you have cereb and do not have brilliant, then it will still be 25%. if you have cereb and brilliant, it will be 50%.
06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
(06-06-2012 06:42 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(06-06-2012 06:30 AM)CliffTheScript Wrote:  Did we ever get an answer to the Brilliant Researchers question? Also, does the percentage stack with Brilliant Researchers racial trait... and how is that percentage calculated to begin with? I feel like it's affected by the amount of RP you generate.

Thanks for bringing this up, as I looked into it and found a bug Smile

In v1.1.4, the chance for if you have brilliant researchers is 25% to unlock an additional technology. If you have cerebrum, he provides a 50% chance to unlock an additional technology (whether you are brilliant or not). This was not intended.

In v1.1.5, the chance for brilliant researchers is still 25%. if you have cereb and do not have brilliant, then it will still be 25%. if you have cereb and brilliant, it will be 50%.

I thought it seemed like the cerebrum was giving a really high chance of success when you didn't already have brilliatn.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
06-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Makes sense. Cerebrum sure seemed to be triggering Brilliant Researchers for me more than I remembered from the skill. I was starting to wonder if he was just better by design, or if I was just really unlucky in the past.

GCID: Bruin; Sandbox: Bru-test-in
07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have thoughts on the 1.1.5 bunny? He definitely needed to be toned down before but after playing with him for a little bit it seems like he could stand to get a little muscle back.

GCID: Bruin; Sandbox: Bru-test-in
07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
(07-04-2012 10:22 AM)Bruin Wrote:  Does anyone have thoughts on the 1.1.5 bunny? He definitely needed to be toned down before but after playing with him for a little bit it seems like he could stand to get a little muscle back.

Out of curiosity, what level starbase was he upgrading when you've played with him? A SB 1 is going to be a fair bit weaker than previously, but a starbase 3 will still be quite good.

07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
His issue is that most combat occur during sb1. So he is too weak to put up a fight against better leaders with better abilities + fleet. Before you could just go around him and take the rest of the planets out. Now with even weaker abilitys, it forces you to MUST tech up to sb3 to force your opponent to go around attacking the other planets instead. In both cases you are still losing planets and thus the game. He's giving you no real ability to bounce back. Maybe if players were not able to detect him on any planets, that would at least give them pause to send a scout first. But as it stands, if I know where the bunny is hiding, all other planets are ez pickings. And without enough planets to tech up to sb3... That bunny is only a matter of time.

GC ID: 37ddV
"Invite me quickly there are preparations to be done!"
07-04-2012, 02:33 PM
(07-04-2012 01:41 PM)37ddV Wrote:  His issue is that most combat occur during sb1. So he is too weak to put up a fight against better leaders with better abilities + fleet. Before you could just go around him and take the rest of the planets out. Now with even weaker abilitys, it forces you to MUST tech up to sb3 to force your opponent to go around attacking the other planets instead. In both cases you are still losing planets and thus the game. He's giving you no real ability to bounce back. Maybe if players were not able to detect him on any planets, that would at least give them pause to send a scout first. But as it stands, if I know where the bunny is hiding, all other planets are ez pickings. And without enough planets to tech up to sb3... That bunny is only a matter of time.
Well, the bunny SHOULDN'T allow you to just throw him on a starbase and ignore building ships. he should supplement your defense and basically guaruntee you a win if you have a decent fleet of your own defending, but if you have nothing but the burrow and the opponent shows up with a fleet of 10 or 15 ships, you deserve to lose...and as for combat occurring during starbase 1s, that all depends on the game and the research paths. I can easily have starbase 2 or even 3 before any real combat happens if I want to. Haven't lately since I've been researching other stuff most of the time instead, but...

And you can't detect where the bunny is hiding till you've at least scouted. After that, yah, it'd probably be good if you couldn't see what planets had leaders unless you actually had a ship in the system. Maybe viewing enemy planets you've previously explored should show what leaders where there when you last saw it, but not show any changes? So you might look at a planet and see the Bunny, but he could have actually moved to a new system since you last scouted, or a system that had no leader could suddenly have a burrow when you show up to attack if you don't scout first.

07-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Agreed with VL's last post. But I don't think GC should be changed to a planet base. Honestly, I like how he is right now, but I could definitely agree with some of the changes suggested before, like military leaders only coming out mid - to - late game. I also like the rogue Hatchery idea... but maybe thats because I've suggested it along with others.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
07-04-2012, 03:54 PM
(07-04-2012 02:33 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 01:41 PM)37ddV Wrote:  His issue is that most combat occur during sb1. So he is too weak to put up a fight against better leaders with better abilities + fleet. Before you could just go around him and take the rest of the planets out. Now with even weaker abilitys, it forces you to MUST tech up to sb3 to force your opponent to go around attacking the other planets instead. In both cases you are still losing planets and thus the game. He's giving you no real ability to bounce back. Maybe if players were not able to detect him on any planets, that would at least give them pause to send a scout first. But as it stands, if I know where the bunny is hiding, all other planets are ez pickings. And without enough planets to tech up to sb3... That bunny is only a matter of time.
Well, the bunny SHOULDN'T allow you to just throw him on a starbase and ignore building ships. he should supplement your defense and basically guaruntee you a win if you have a decent fleet of your own defending, but if you have nothing but the burrow and the opponent shows up with a fleet of 10 or 15 ships, you deserve to lose...and as for combat occurring during starbase 1s, that all depends on the game and the research paths. I can easily have starbase 2 or even 3 before any real combat happens if I want to. Haven't lately since I've been researching other stuff most of the time instead, but...

And you can't detect where the bunny is hiding till you've at least scouted. After that, yah, it'd probably be good if you couldn't see what planets had leaders unless you actually had a ship in the system. Maybe viewing enemy planets you've previously explored should show what leaders where there when you last saw it, but not show any changes? So you might look at a planet and see the Bunny, but he could have actually moved to a new system since you last scouted, or a system that had no leader could suddenly have a burrow when you show up to attack if you don't scout first.

Here's where the dilemma comes. Throw the bunny on a Starbase... Now you have to build ships? Or upgrade Starbase? Research lv2&3 Starbase? The problem is that the bunny is not a real military leader. You have to sacrifice too much to make him useful. He doesn't have any real cool abilities like some of the other colony leaders. Doesn't help excell your production of ships or GC or tech. Use up a leader slot where you could have more useful leader benefit you. Most good leaders that comes out is strong and useful right away. I just don't see the bunny as giving me the same benefits. Beside IMO the best defense is a stronger offense.
And sb2&3? I hardly ever get.. Too many better tech that I always end up losing sb2 tech unless I found it. For me, star drive, fuel cell, exopolitics, and sb2 is gone. Just feel that sb2 will just slow my advances down.

GC ID: 37ddV
"Invite me quickly there are preparations to be done!"