Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
question on the 1.1.6 spying change
07-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Post: #1
question on the 1.1.6 spying change
Kabukiman and I were going through patch notes for the next patch and we're wondering, with the changes to offensive spying, how will defensive spying work?

"How is defense distributed then? Is it a small offensive team against an entire defensive legion? That doesn't sound right."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Post: #2
RE: question on the 1.1.6 spying change
Not sure I'm reading your question right, so correct me if I'm wrong.

The main mechanic of spying stays the same.

In v1.1.5, you could assign spies to another empire in either the espionage or the sabotage tray. These two numbers were combined, and then compared to the total defending spies (agents) of the other empire. So, if you had 5 in espionage and 10 in sabotage, and the other empire had 10 agents, then you'd have a 5% chance of a successful spy event happening that turn. Spying has always favored the defender in FFA matches; your one set of agents defend you against all empires at the same value.

In v1.1.6, the two trays become one tray. To carry the example, you still have 15 spies against the other empires 10 agents. Still equates to a 5% chance. What's new is that you can specify 1 or 2 of 8 possible spy focuses; if you get a successful spy event, there is 80% chance that the event is from one of your focuses, and a 20% chance that it pulls from all focuses (meaning, your spies stumbled across a random opportunity outside of their specified mission and decided to take advantage of it).

The only other differences is the soft cap to spies (which will be tweaked given tester feedback), increased chances of your spies getting caught/killed the more spies you pile in (this affects both defending agents and offensive spies the same), the increase to CI (which helps counter the increase in death rate), and finally the change to Smugglers trait (flat bonus to contact rating)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2012, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 04:57 AM by Xlom.)
Post: #3
RE: question on the 1.1.6 spying change
basically, we were wondering how defense would work. would it still be flat rate, or if when you notice someone is stealing from a particular area, could you also focus defense there.

However it sounds like the new formula on stacking spies, helps make an over all defense vs a narrow but more power offense balance out a bit.

I think what kabu was worried about was forcing to pick two focal points on offence would make defense easier since it would get a flat defense bonus across the board.

Personally I like the new option. help prevent spy blitzing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Post: #4
RE: question on the 1.1.6 spying change
Quote:I think what kabu was worried about was forcing to pick two focal points on offence would make defense easier since it would get a flat defense bonus across the board.

As it is set up the two are somewhat unrelated; your spy focuses have no affect on your chance of making a spy event happen, they just affects what kind of spy event occurs when a success happens.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out in practice pretty soon Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Post: #5
RE: question on the 1.1.6 spying change
Hi,

The changes of sorting in 1.6 looks good.

Just one suggestion. I think it would make sense if attacking spies had a higher risk of getting caught (killed) than defending spies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Starbase Orion | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication