Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Combat Primer
08-23-2012, 04:10 PM
RE: Combat Primer
(08-18-2012 05:10 PM)seebs Wrote:  
(08-18-2012 05:03 PM)37ddV Wrote:  I'm not sure but I think the Starbase is closer to one side than the other. So it can potentially fire at your ship when you are at that side. If you fast forward the battle you won't see the weapons fire. Try watching it in normal speed.

At normal speed, my ship was somewhere off the bottom if the display -- it wasn't possible to scroll to it, or to keep it on screen by following it -- and there were no visible weapon things.
It could be a bug, or since SO calculates damage before/regardless of the animation of weapons (as long as the ships are in range of each other for it) it is may be possible that just before your ship retreat a few pursuing ships got in range and fired, delivering the calculated fatal blow, and killed your ship, but the report ended before the full animation was shown.

GC- TerranEmperor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 10:45 AM by anthee.)
Something that needs to be mentioned (although it should be obvious to the more experienced players here) is that if you have Fantastic Engineers or Cla-TK and fleet strength is in your opponent's favor, but not overwhelmingly so, you should set your combat orders so that the combat will last for as long as possible but so that you're still doing damage. That way you're getting maximum advantage out of your ability to repair your ships in combat but not prolonging the battle for so long that your opponent can get reinforcements. (Of course, if you have reinforcements coming, then just evasion all the way if outcome is uncertain)

If both sides have lasers, that means keeping long range. If both sides have plasma, charge close range. And so on... this trick is especially useful against Starbases since your opponent can't do anything to control the range. You can win even if your opponent's Starbase clearly outpowers your fleet, particularly if you have Reinforced Bulkheads and it's a laser fight.

If you set two scouts against each other 1v1 and one side has Fantastic Engineers, that side will win with 49% health left if the underdog is evading and the engineers are charging. That means that you're blocking around half of your opponent's damage in a prolonged battle of even firepower with Fantastic Engineers. In the end, that trait's effectiveness depends on how well you're able to control the rate at which damage is dealt in combat.
07-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Lot of good info on here, but I'd like to see a somewhat simplified re-write of this with more of a focus on the weapons technology.

I find the distinction between the various weapons to be pretty confusing and haven't gotten a handle on what is a good counter to what.

Could someone write a post that lists the various weapons, describes how they act, and what they are good against?

GameCenter: Nelluk
GameCenter for Betas: CullenKzoo
08-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Wow.. Very very helpful imformation here!! Thanks vander. I usually always set my orders to weakest but really good point with the plasma.

GC- MiiikeT
Always up for a game

Sandbox(beta)- MonkSRb
Regular: MessiTheMessiah10(just changed my GC id from MonkSR)
08-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks for tips!