Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Ideas for SO2
10-11-2012, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 03:45 PM by steveadams14.)
Ideas for SO2
So I figured with the talk of Starbase Orion II here and there, I'd start a thread with feature requests and ideas for it. Rocco has said that SO2 is a possibility so we might as well let the idea machine that is these forums begin the process of figuring this thing out. Here are some ideas I have had/collected across the forums. Feel free to discuss/debunk/add new ideas for SO2.

Campaign mode: A story line that you can play.

Deeper race customization- The ability to change more than traits about your custom races. EG Custom racial techs/abilities.

New battle system

- Real time battles with control over your individual ships
OR
- Finer control over each ship in the fleet with things like special abilities.

Skirmish Mode- Start with a space station and build ships from it to destroy the enemy space station, basically a mini game.

Multiple galaxies
- Maps can be created with multiple galaxies

Expanded Diplomacy
- Treaties between empires banning certain research/ weapons or other conditions.

Pirates/Bounty Hunters
- A new force has emerged from the scum of the universe. The pirates/ bounty hunters will do tasks for you, provided the price is right.

Government Types- see VenomStorm's post on page 2 for ideas on what they would be.

New ship classes
- Fighters, bombers, carriers, dreadnaughts, and corvettes are newly added ship classes.

New and expanded techs
- Many new technologies have been added such as graviton fields (preventing enemy retreat) and planet destroyers (modules placed on ships which literally destroy an entire planet and everything on it).
- Levelling techs now go through infinite/many more levels. (example: Laser I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII and so on)

New weapons and systems
- New weapons and systems such as energy leechers, transporters, and fighter bays are now available.

New leaders
- Starbase Orion II features x new leaders.

Experience and Veterancy
- Larger ships now upgrade with victories and kills, and gain abilities.

Orbital facilities
- Build defense turrets, long range scanners, and more in orbit of your planets.

New system claiming options
- Ability to build outposts and mining stations on gas giants and asteroid belts.

Revamped weapons systems
- Weapons now scale to size of ship, and are better against certain ship classes than others.

Unique racial abilities
- Along with new racial traits comes the ability of each race to have one special ability that truly sets them apart from the rest.

User Modifiable AI (LUA based)

Alignment- Good, neutral, evil: affecting bonuses and stuff, maybe even having leaders have alignments.

Non-asynchronous networked gameplay

Miscellaneous improvements

- Improved controls over game setup and galaxy composition
- Science now rolls over
- You can now board and take over enemy ships
- Antaran attacks allow exra-galactic invaders to attack a very advantaged player.
- You can now continue playing even after you have won the game
- You can now save ship blueprints for later use
- A new battle simulator
- Game saves the current state of the game, not the beginning of the turn.
- You can now change the default save name
- Ability to rename and create new build ques.
- Custom renaming of systems and planets

-Some way to have a good balance between epic battles, and small enough fleets so that it does not get overwhelming.
- (See falanor4421's post on page 5) A mode where you have a limit to the amount of ships per fleet, to encourage smaller fleets. (is this a good description?)

These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call. The way the camera follows us in slow mo, the way we look to us all. The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky. These are the days of miracle and wonder, and don't cry, baby, don't cry.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 02:21 PM
RE: Ideas for SO2
Looks like a good start, though a note on the battle system - I can't think of any way a real-time battle system could possibly work with a turn-based game. You could have two different battle systems - one for turn based play and one for the non-asynch network play - but I can't see it ever happening for asynch games. That being said, I'm sure there are ways it could be made to be more tactical and give you more control in some way.

A start could be maybe when a battle kicks off the rest of the game pauses and you get a new battle screen where you get more tactical control and turn the battles themselves into almost a mini-game. Maybe even something along the lines of Star Fleet battles, where you get finer control over each ship and what it's actions are for the round. Instead of everything happening once in the battles like they are now, give different ships an initiative value, or speed or something along those lines, let you control ships in order based on that. I could easily envision some fun tactical battles.

Or if that's too much for an asynch game, could do a spinoff SO Battles Tongue

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
(10-11-2012 02:21 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Looks like a good start, though a note on the battle system - I can't think of any way a real-time battle system could possibly work with a turn-based game. You could have two different battle systems - one for turn based play and one for the non-asynch network play - but I can't see it ever happening for asynch games. That being said, I'm sure there are ways it could be made to be more tactical and give you more control in some way.

A start could be maybe when a battle kicks off the rest of the game pauses and you get a new battle screen where you get more tactical control and turn the battles themselves into almost a mini-game. Maybe even something along the lines of Star Fleet battles, where you get finer control over each ship and what it's actions are for the round. Instead of everything happening once in the battles like they are now, give different ships an initiative value, or speed or something along those lines, let you control ships in order based on that. I could easily envision some fun tactical battles.

Or if that's too much for an asynch game, could do a spinoff SO Battles Tongue

Ok, added, I feel like the real time combat could be more for the skirmish mode which is basically a real time mini game where each player gets a space station and upgrades it and builds ships and take strategic resources on a map to destroy the enemy ships and space station. If you've played Star Wars empire at war then that's what I mean.

These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call. The way the camera follows us in slow mo, the way we look to us all. The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky. These are the days of miracle and wonder, and don't cry, baby, don't cry.
10-12-2012, 01:41 AM
I think that the ability to have user-modifiable AI (and not just for computer programmers) would be fabulous. I don't play single-player anymore, as the AI is just too predictable. But multiplayer can take too long. Currently, in beta I have a six-person game going, a 4-person game, and a 2-person game. All people are relatively motivated to play their turns in a timely manner, and no one person seems to be "slacking". After a week of play, the six person game is averaging 3.57 turns per player per day, the four person 7.33 turns, and the two person 30 turns. Each turn is usually two turns (i.e., you can play two turns in a row), so cut those values in half.

Adding user-developed AIs would make multiplayer with a couple of humans so much better, and since their turns are "automatic" you could still complete a game in a week. If the six person game continues on this trajectory, and we get to turn 200, it will take almost 2 months to complete! Better, smarter AI would allow for bigger multiplayer (or better single player) without these time lags. And developing the AI to be the best possible would be fun – can my AI beat your AI? This would be a major addition – something worthy of a new version.

Regarding ship combat, and given that this is a turn-based game, I would say improvements to initial setup and commands could be made but still keep it a turn-based game. So allow for complex commands that can be saved and easily assigned to a ship (e.g., multiple nested if-than possible – so target the ship with Gorz first, then Capt Jack, then take out the small ships named "death", and stay in the top part of the screen unless there are no enemies there, in which case just keep long range and attack weakest), and for complex ship setup (drag and drop your ships in a formation of your choosing before seeing what the enemy has done). You could also have pre-set options for people less interested in micromanagement. Again, this would be a major addition, and worthy of a new version.
10-12-2012, 02:17 AM
(10-12-2012 01:41 AM)Diebo Wrote:  I think that the ability to have user-modifiable AI (and not just for computer programmers) would be fabulous. I don't play single-player anymore, as the AI is just too predictable. But multiplayer can take too long. Currently, in beta I have a six-person game going, a 4-person game, and a 2-person game. All people are relatively motivated to play their turns in a timely manner, and no one person seems to be "slacking". After a week of play, the six person game is averaging 3.57 turns per player per day, the four person 7.33 turns, and the two person 30 turns. Each turn is usually two turns (i.e., you can play two turns in a row), so cut those values in half.

Adding user-developed AIs would make multiplayer with a couple of humans so much better, and since their turns are "automatic" you could still complete a game in a week. If the six person game continues on this trajectory, and we get to turn 200, it will take almost 2 months to complete! Better, smarter AI would allow for bigger multiplayer (or better single player) without these time lags. And developing the AI to be the best possible would be fun – can my AI beat your AI? This would be a major addition – something worthy of a new version.

Regarding ship combat, and given that this is a turn-based game, I would say improvements to initial setup and commands could be made but still keep it a turn-based game. So allow for complex commands that can be saved and easily assigned to a ship (e.g., multiple nested if-than possible – so target the ship with Gorz first, then Capt Jack, then take out the small ships named "death", and stay in the top part of the screen unless there are no enemies there, in which case just keep long range and attack weakest), and for complex ship setup (drag and drop your ships in a formation of your choosing before seeing what the enemy has done). You could also have pre-set options for people less interested in micromanagement. Again, this would be a major addition, and worthy of a new version.

Sounds interesting, what exactly did you have in mind for this user modifiable AI?

10-12-2012, 02:21 AM
(10-12-2012 02:17 AM)steveadams14 Wrote:  Sounds interesting, what exactly did you have in mind for this user modifiable AI?

Rocco's talked about having user modifiable AI using Lua scripting.

10-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I am not a programmer, but would love to design AI - either as a good partner for multiplayer, or as the bane of my opponents existence. But I would also be happy if there were some really good, variable AI options, and I think the community would be the best source for developing that.

Think of a good two-player vs 6 AI survival game, where you two had to survive the best that the community could develop? Wouldn't that be great? It would be like a Roman gladiator match, chained to your opponent, as the different gates opened.
10-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Somewhat along the lines of a campaign mode mentioned elsewhere, it would be interesting if there was some real variation between the actual races as opposed to just the racial traits. Something along the lines of different races having some different classes of ships, or different unique racial technologies etc.

Not sure how exactly that would work with custom races, maybe there's a separate list of the unique techs or whatever and you get to pick what you want when you create a race, or maybe it's based on what portrait you choose, etc.

10-12-2012, 06:29 AM
It could be something similar to Endless Space's custom races (Just started playing it. Some cool ideas.) Essentially we already do it: your custom race has the skin of one of the stock races. The skin includes the species skins and the ship skins. But you could go deeper and say, I want this stock race's affinity along with this stock race's skin.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
10-12-2012, 06:53 AM
I would add new/ more starship designs. Right now the humans pretty much follow the StarFleet style ships. It would be fun to be able to pick one or maybe 2 different styles and mix and match.

The other option would be to be able to choose one of the other races existing ship templates. It would be fun to play as human and use the Draske ships. Moo2 achieved this by tying ship hulls to player color, not race. So you could pick which starships you wanted when you picked your color at the beginning of the game.