Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Ideas for SO2
10-26-2012, 12:31 PM
RE: Ideas for SO2
+1 for the mixed-size fleets. Classic sci-fi lore is full of stories of lone capital ships surrounded by support fleets of lesser vessels. I think it adds a lot more to the game then two fleets of only mammoths.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2012, 01:27 AM
(10-26-2012 12:31 PM)MOO_Refugee Wrote:  +1 for the mixed-size fleets. Classic sci-fi lore is full of stories of lone capital ships surrounded by support fleets of lesser vessels. I think it adds a lot more to the game then two fleets of only mammoths.

YupBig Grin. I always end up doing something similar when I play the AIs. I love building a few fleets of battleships with supporting cruisers. Then each fleet has maybe 2 titans. By the end of the game I might build one mammoth as my own super star destroyer. I do not like massive fleets of the biggest class of ship you can build. There have been several interesting ideas on how to implement a system that requires capital shps and support craft.

I just find mixed fleets more dynamic and interesting. Plus it makes your limited large ships more valuable.
10-27-2012, 04:06 AM
(10-27-2012 01:27 AM)VenomStorm Wrote:  
(10-26-2012 12:31 PM)MOO_Refugee Wrote:  +1 for the mixed-size fleets. Classic sci-fi lore is full of stories of lone capital ships surrounded by support fleets of lesser vessels. I think it adds a lot more to the game then two fleets of only mammoths.

YupBig Grin. I always end up doing something similar when I play the AIs. I love building a few fleets of battleships with supporting cruisers. Then each fleet has maybe 2 titans. By the end of the game I might build one mammoth as my own super star destroyer. I do not like massive fleets of the biggest class of ship you can build. There have been several interesting ideas on how to implement a system that requires capital shps and support craft.

I just find mixed fleets more dynamic and interesting. Plus it makes your limited large ships more valuable.

Yeah, I agree with you guys. I find a lot of the time that when I have giant masses of ships/units in strategy games that it can get a little impersonal, and too much about bombarding the enemy with waves and waves.

These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call. The way the camera follows us in slow mo, the way we look to us all. The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky. These are the days of miracle and wonder, and don't cry, baby, don't cry.
10-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:Also, I was thinking about adding in government types. These would be racial picks that are required picks. (you would have to choose a govt type, although there would be a base govt that costs 0 points) They would add several benefits tied in with some interesting negatives.

* I have assumed that there would be a certain number of turns to assimilate conquered worlds, which is different to how the game plays now. I think it's a nice feature and would make sense that different types of government would take different amounts of time to assimilate new people's to their way of life.

** I also just included a few base ideas for bonuses and negatives. I am by no means completely satisfied with them all. My intention for any of the research, farming, or production bonuses ( or negatives) is for them to be more than simple +'s or -'s. we have those as racial traits already. These would be more interesting and unique. If anyone has any ideas for improvement, that would be cool. Some of these definently need to change so there is more difference between them. I had fun writing the bios tho
yeahh i like all these government ideas. Reminds me of Civilization where you pick the governments and you get bonuses. Also certain empires/races are more compatible with different government types.
10-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I like both types of battles. And I still feel that there is room for small ships/mixed fleets in a large fleet engagement. It adds a new, very interesting dynamic.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
10-29-2012, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 03:20 AM by MOO_Refugee.)
The all-one-type honestly bores me. I used to play a game called "Spaceward Ho" long ago, and got sick of fleets of uniform hulls with identical armaments showing up from every player. SO is much better on that score, but most fun of all with mixed ship types.
(10-27-2012 01:27 AM)VenomStorm Wrote:  There have been several interesting ideas on how to implement a system that requires capital shps and support craft.

Out of curiosity, like what?
10-29-2012, 08:39 AM
(10-29-2012 03:19 AM)MOO_Refugee Wrote:  
(10-27-2012 01:27 AM)VenomStorm Wrote:  There have been several interesting ideas on how to implement a system that requires capital shps and support craft.

One I saw was base command points on ships. You had a base level of command points that could support one ship of any class. Lets say you start off with 5 CP. So you build 5 of the best ships you can to fill those slots. Again lets say those are battleships. Those battleships would now give you CP to support smaller classes of ships. Like every mammoth could support 2 titans, a Titan could support 3 battleships, a battleship allows for 4 cruisers and so on.

You would end up being limited to only a handful of capital ships. To have a legitimate force you would have to build those smaller craft.
10-29-2012, 08:41 AM
(10-29-2012 08:39 AM)VenomStorm Wrote:  

One I saw was base command points on ships. You had a base level of command points that could support one ship of any class. Lets say you start off with 5 CP. So you build 5 of the best ships you can to fill those slots. Again lets say those are battleships. Those battleships would now give you CP to support smaller classes of ships. Like every mammoth could support 2 titans, a Titan could support 3 battleships, a battleship allows for 4 cruisers and so on.

You would end up being limited to only a handful of capital ships. To have a legitimate force you would have to build those smaller craft.

Yah, that seemed to be the most popular idea. Just a matter of figuring out the right numbers to make it work out. Can't remember which thread had all of the discussion in it...

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
10-29-2012, 08:47 AM
(10-29-2012 08:41 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(10-29-2012 08:39 AM)VenomStorm Wrote:  

Yah, that seemed to be the most popular idea. Just a matter of figuring out the right numbers to make it work out. Can't remember which thread had all of the discussion in it...

Me neither. And yea there's a lot of wiggle room with those numbers to find what works best.
10-29-2012, 12:37 PM
That sounds epic. In other words, if I understand, Imperial command points will translate to a certain set amount of Command Ships. Each Command Ship will support a set number of support vessels. I really like that idea....