Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.1.8 General Feedback
01-15-2013, 05:45 AM
RE: v1.1.8 General Feedback
(01-15-2013 05:32 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Just won leader bid on Mag X against Vander. I paid 1158 credits. A bargain at that, but Slug is on the horizon, and the game is early.

Leader view shows 10 GC/turn for cost.

Empire Income Summary shows Leader Upkeep at -5 (I have a charismatic race).

Both should show =10+(1%*1158) = 21.58 * 50% cost (charismatic) = 10.79. If trunc, then 10, rounded 11. So Leader view might be correct.

But Empire Income isn't. It appears that I am only paying 5 credits for him.

Rocco - do you want me to submit the game?

Yeah, go ahead and submit. I got a game here that's a little off as well 9the leader view saying 7 gc, the empire saying 6 gc).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2013, 05:59 AM
(01-15-2013 05:45 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(01-15-2013 05:32 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Just won leader bid on Mag X against Vander. I paid 1158 credits. A bargain at that, but Slug is on the horizon, and the game is early.

Leader view shows 10 GC/turn for cost.

Empire Income Summary shows Leader Upkeep at -5 (I have a charismatic race).

Both should show =10+(1%*1158) = 21.58 * 50% cost (charismatic) = 10.79. If trunc, then 10, rounded 11. So Leader view might be correct.

But Empire Income isn't. It appears that I am only paying 5 credits for him.

Rocco - do you want me to submit the game?

Yeah, go ahead and submit. I got a game here that's a little off as well 9the leader view saying 7 gc, the empire saying 6 gc).

Sent - I had already submitted my turn, but that shouldn't change anything even if Vander does a move.
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 10:32 AM by seebs.)
Handful of notes, not all new:
1. Got one crash, haven't checked for a crash log. No idea what was happening. Might have just been memory.
2. Take a planet which is currently full, but not all structures are upgraded. Manually queue two upgrades (say, "research center II", "efficient factories II"). When the first is complete, the second is removed from the queue because the planet is full. May also apply if the first one fills the planet, but I'm not as sure of that.
3. Reassign leader to pool. Five days later, you get a message that leader "arrived at (null)".
4. Early empire: Scouts start with additional fuel, and new scouts you build have it until you enter the ship designer for any reason, at which point they lose it unless you've researched it.
5. Take a planet with stored industry. Set it to civic funding. Watch the stored industry gradually decline.
6. Terraforming has transformed a planet into "a Arid class world" should be "an Arid class world".
7. Although Brilliant Researchers is no-longer save-scummable, leader auctions are in that you can reload at 403.1 a few times and get a different leader showing up at 403.2.
8. Text for CP cost of mammoths in the command point window is wrong; I can show "-12 3 Mammoths (3 CP each)" or something to that effect.
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
(01-16-2013 10:31 AM)seebs Wrote:  7. Although Brilliant Researchers is no-longer save-scummable, leader auctions are in that you can reload at 403.1 a few times and get a different leader showing up at 403.2.

This is awesome - I didn't want to be suspicious of people doing this, but occasionally the same techs seemed to always get pulled early game after game after game....

If these queues could be stacked / shuffled over two turns and done well in advance of the turn when a choice is revealed, that helps to make honest reloads less cause for suspicion. (game crashes, whatever)
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I've played a few games and Diebo has cleaned my clock handily each time unless I get a big handicap. I wanted to propose naming a ship class after him -

Frigate with 3x Proton 3 and FML, Stockpile, RB2, HA2. They are deadly, deadly, deadly for the cost.

I'll work on a strategy to kill him before he gets these tech, but his build is quite good on the new balance. Is anyone else seeing larger ships not be worth much with the changed cost of armaments. It's late for me, but I recall some discussion on limiting projectiles on frigates in the past that might be worth considering if these are way OP for the costs now.
01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
(01-16-2013 12:30 PM)bmike Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 10:31 AM)seebs Wrote:  7. Although Brilliant Researchers is no-longer save-scummable, leader auctions are in that you can reload at 403.1 a few times and get a different leader showing up at 403.2.

This is awesome - I didn't want to be suspicious of people doing this, but occasionally the same techs seemed to always get pulled early game after game after game....

If these queues could be stacked / shuffled over two turns and done well in advance of the turn when a choice is revealed, that helps to make honest reloads less cause for suspicion. (game crashes, whatever)

The save-scumming fix was added for single player. It's been in place for multiplayer for a long time (reloading game when you first get your turn wont' change anything, and if you submit turn and get a second one before it goes to opponent, if you quit and reload the game, it comes back on that same turn in teh same state as when you first rolled over to it, it doesn't recheck spying/brilliant researchers etc).

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
01-17-2013, 12:48 AM
The voiceover artist and script are AWESOME. I've listened to maybe the first third of it closely and will let you know if I can detect any typos or problems.

If you re-work the script or make any changes - I did think of two tweaks if you want / think they're good:

1. Duck the background music a little stronger or wait for a good two or three seconds after the narration stops before you fade it in.
2. On the tutorial - you walk a player through targeting a ship - sending a scout out - but then you take them to empire. I wanted to move to see the results of the ship moving at that point. Could things be shuffled so you moved the empire screen walk through before the targeting (or perhaps let the turn happen and then introduce the empire controls while the scout is moving to whatever planet is selected? - the closest planet is 2 turns away and half are 4 turns away).

Also - the fading out pretty quickly of one line of text when you press next is slick.
01-17-2013, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 05:18 AM by seebs.)
Battle message can be highly misleading.

Enter a battle with:

* 8 battleships (with energy weapons)
* 6 destroyers (with nukes)

Set destroyers to retreat, battleships to charge.

Message: "Six of your ships survived, and will rendesvous at..."
Reality: All 14 ships survived, only one was even damaged.

More trivia:

Go to Empire screen with enough colonies to scroll. Scroll display. While the inertia has it still scrolling, tap one of the things at the top of the screen, like the food list. The list fades as though something were in front of it, but nothing shows up. Tapping clears it normally. It works as long as the list isn't in motion when you select one of those.

The turns-to-completion display says "1 turns" rather than "1 turn" sometimes.

If you have enough stored research to instantly-complete a research project, it says "*" instead of "0 turns".

I would really like a "scrap every X in my empire on a planet that has not already scrapped something this turn" feature. (Orbital labs become pretty uninteresting when you are done with research.)

It might be nice to be able to force advanced city planning to build even if it's not needed in a build queue, because the benefit of civic funding on a planet is related to its total capacity; if you can afford it, building ACP 3 is very productive in terms of population over N turns.
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 02:50 PM by seebs.)
And one more:

If you have never seen the system Magistrate X is in, it shows up with a white name even though you've never seen the planets. This is a dead giveaway. And if you take one planet in the system, but not the one she's on, part of the name is shown and the other part is invisible.

Note also that if you just make it always show the name in transparent, and you HAVE been to the system, having its name disappear even though you know the planet types is also a giveaway...

Okay, another one: Leader bidding says "5 turn" when I think it means "5/turn", meaning the maintenance cost of the leader.
01-18-2013, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 03:37 AM by macaronnie.)
(01-16-2013 03:17 PM)bmike Wrote:  I've played a few games and Diebo has cleaned my clock handily each time unless I get a big handicap. I wanted to propose naming a ship class after him -

Frigate with 3x Proton 3 and FML, Stockpile, RB2, HA2. They are deadly, deadly, deadly for the cost.

I played around with the beta a little, and was thinking of the same thing. Was it really necessary to adjust weapons costs? The original discussion that lead to this was all about system costs, and it makes perfect sense to have, say, armor on a battleship cost more than on a frigate; but it's less obvious why a weapon that does the same damage costs less.

Also it seems that even more of the game revolves around CP limits now Sad
BTW: if I build a Mammoth in the "test game", the CP cost pop-up window says "-4: 1 Mammoth (3 pts each)".