Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Feedback on FC Orion
01-08-2013, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 05:47 AM by bmike.)
Feedback on FC Orion
I'm loving the FC Orion. It is a very nice solution to avoid having in-app purchase for a free version. That way people can try before they buy and the full app is both giftable and avoids the subset of people that don't IAP for whatever reasons.

The interactive tutorial is awesome!

The + More button seems too widely spread for my tastes. If you don't mind coding - explaining what more gets you in each place might be nice.

So, the race picker - More would be three races and thousands of custom races are available on the full version.

In the Empire screen - More would be automated build strategies / customizable focus.

Second feedback - the help section of FC mentions Isather with a screen shot - you might change that to be human since it matches the first impression people will have, not confuse them about a race they can't play yet.

Third feedback - in the tutorial, you don't mention to tap the back button to return from the planet surface view. I know it seems obvious, but you are doing a great job of pointing out exactly what to do and I could see some not seeing the back button in what is a quite packed UI.

Fourth Feedback - you don't call out explicitly - tapping the name or the planet select the system for closer view or to send a ship to that system - tapping the fleet selects the ships. You do explain how to do each, so you might skip this too. This was frustrating to me initially especially on a small screen having to try to tap a fleet in progress past a system and a fleet at a system and a system. Knowing to tape the name really helps when the UI gets crowded.

Fifth feedback - change "Tap on the ships until just one scout" to exclude all but one ship from this command by tapping on each ship to remove the ring...

6 - You don't explain how to close the fleet view (it's the two down arrows)
7 - In the research view - increase the opacity of the overlay - the text from behind the tutorial is too visible and distracting
8 - You might explain that in an Allied game - you not only can reach planets within range of your planets, but you can jump over inaccessible areas by landing on or near an allied planet.
9 - Does the tutorial detect if someone hasn't shifted people away from farming and towards research. You could point out that money is good, but since each technology does expire after time passes, you need a balance of research, building and production to succeed in the game.
10 - "It is here that you can see what weapons a ship..." Not really true - the outfitting of a ship is shown elsewhere. Perhaps change this to "This is the blueprint for all future construction. The changes you make here will affect new ship construction.
11 - You can scrap an old ship or send it to a starbase where it can be recycled into production for new ships and even new buildings. Since all Starbases include ship repair depots, they self-upgrade themselves one turn after you make any design changes (if a Starbase is in combat, upgrades will happen only after you win that battle!).
12 - "But once your research progresses..." You can research much larger advanced ship designs like titans and the fearsome mammoth ship.
13 - "tap on an equipment.." Tap on any empty slot to see all the current options you have researched to fill that slot. Once a slot is filled, you can drag that icon and drop it on any other slot to easily equip multiple slots with the same weapon or system equipment.

Oops - the FC just crashed, so I'll stop for now and see about sending that your way...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: Feedback on FC Orion
Good suggestions Bmike. For the tutorial we were limited with how much dialogue we could use.

Rocco wants to add audio overlay of the dialogue, which I think is great. The downside is that a lot of the dialogue needs to be cut to make that possible.

So what you have now is the first version, I believe. (I'm having trouble with test flight at the moment, so I havn't played yet.) I recently finished a "bare bones" version of the tutorial. This eliminates quite a bit of some of the more obvious interface features, or at the least just points them out.

In the end, I think our goal with the tutorial is to give 1) a overview of the most common, need-to-know-to-play features of the game, to ease a new player into it and 2) to test out some of the interactive storytelling possibilities for a possible future campaign.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
01-09-2013, 12:50 AM
It's great as is - I just had the opportunity to watch a highly adept pre-teen try the tutorial and watched when they needed help with the tutorial.

My experience with UX is that whether you are 12 or 21 or 41 - when a younger person (used to game UI) gets confused, the older person will likely be (and not communicate it as such for fear of being judged or thought low tech or whatever) whereas testing for older people doesn't transfer so well to younger people. Some of the things that get them are exclusive to their expectations, partial is to their generation and some is still kind of universal - not intuitive.

Nothing is horrible in my post except for the crash (although the game did autosave and work - I just don't know if I finished the script since the tutorial never came back from the save game.) I'll play some more today to see if I want to retract or add anything to the feedback.

Kudos to everyone that had a hand with the tutorial!
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Were the points you added what the pre-teen had problems with? If no, could you post a list of those issues? Because that is something that would be worth looking into.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game