Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.1.8 Orion FC Feedback
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 12:11 PM by VanderLegion.)
v1.1.8 Orion FC Feedback
Figure it'd be easier to have a single feedbakc thread for FC like there is for the normal beta instead of having new threads for everything that comes up. Keep it consolidated Smile
Also: Yay for sticky powers so I don't have to ask anymore Smile

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2013, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 04:46 AM by bmike.)
RE: v1.1.8 Orion FC Feedback
I haven't made it to the end of the scenario (game crashed on me), but it would be cool to add a few great tips from the threads here to clue someone in to the boards and clue them in to some of the non-obvious starting optimizations:

1) Consider scrapping all or some of your barracks since they cost X credits to maintain and you might gamble you don't need them until later and can both reinvest or bank the $$ and avoid maintanance costs over 20+ turns.
2) Consider upgrading any initial ships bigger than the scout to expedite initial exploration. You can always send those scouts back for an upgrade once you've mapped out your reachable area.
3) Save money for leaders that can either make up for your race's biggest limitation or best exploit your opponents weakness.

Something to really thank someone for going through the tutorial and also get them ready for online opponents. Maybe this should be in the purchased app tutorial since (and mention that the full tutorial has much better tips since the full game has so many more options - you want the tutorial in the FC to prep a player for wanting the full version and the full version tutorial for a good leg up on first games online.)
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Interesting ideas. I don't know if doing two versions of the tutorial would be feasible, but that is Rocco's decision, not mine. The idea has merit though.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
01-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Overall, looks great. Here's some initial suggestions on the Tutorial information.

Suggest you leave out description of "Custom Build Focus" in the tutorial - not really necessary.

Sometimes the tutorial assumes knowledge a true beginner may not have of the controls.
"Return to the galaxy map" should be "Return to the galaxy map by tapping the Back button in the upper left".
"Close the fleet window" should be "Close the fleet window by tapping the two down arrows to the left of the ships"
"select one [technology]" should be "select one [technology] and tap Done"

In particular, I remember as an absolute beginner the selecting/deselecting fleets interface, and controlling where they go, was confusing. Perhaps a bit more on that- show how you can create fleets of two ships to send out, or how to change them back to "stay in orbit" if you change your mind.

Suggest you begin the tutorial with a cool 30 second animation, showing scouts exploring planets, ships in battles, finishing with Gorzhon's face, heavily breathing...
01-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Aesthetic comment, I like the FC icon.
Where it says "help us continue to create great strategy games by purchasing the original", I would suggest you change it to "the full version." to me it seems as if you are purchasing an older version of the game when you say that, but that might be just me.
I will have more comments but I need to formulate them.
I like it though.

These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call. The way the camera follows us in slow mo, the way we look to us all. The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky. These are the days of miracle and wonder, and don't cry, baby, don't cry.
01-11-2013, 04:11 AM
@all I need to send the tutorial text to the voice actor tomorrow. If there are any more comments on the tutorial, please let me know!

It is worth noting that falanor wrote a wonderfully elaborate and more complete tutorial than what finally made it into the game; hopefully it can be improved upon in the future but for now it should at least touch on more of the basics.
01-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Just finished the tutorial... Overall great. There are parts that you are left pretty much alone but it is probably Ok.

My AI ally just sat there the entire time with a wonderful fleet of Laser3 ships to my Laser1 frigates.

The only problem I had was at the end, after I took over the one computer player, the "hounds of war" were released. Game should be allied victory, I would think. My AI ally turned into an enemy, and the game continued. As it is, it would be an interesting challenge to build up and take out that monster fleet. But confusing for a newbie.
01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:My AI ally just sat there the entire time with a wonderful fleet of Laser3 ships to my Laser1 frigates.

Yes, the tutorial has a "tutorial ai" which doesn't do much by design.

Quote:The only problem I had was at the end, after I took over the one computer player, the "hounds of war" were released. Game should be allied victory, I would think. My AI ally turned into an enemy, and the game continued. As it is, it would be an interesting challenge to build up and take out that monster fleet. But confusing for a newbie.

haha, nice catch. Will fix!
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Morph showed up for bid with no explanation from the tutorial - I could imagine that would be a bit confusing to a newbie.
01-12-2013, 01:33 AM
(01-11-2013 05:24 PM)MarcusVictor Wrote:  Morph showed up for bid with no explanation from the tutorial - I could imagine that would be a bit confusing to a newbie.

What beta version were you running? The leader info was added in b4. If it was b4, then pls submit bug report from app.