Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Couple weird quirks and/or race conditions
01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Couple weird quirks and/or race conditions
Available slots: If you lose a Colony Infrastructure, you not only can't build stuff, you can't rebuild it until you scrap other buildings to get your total building pool down. This is pretty destructive, especially on smaller planets. Seems like maybe you should be able to build ICI even when you have zero or negative space. Especially noticeable in the case where an enemy sabotages one.

Colonist moving: I accidentally moved all the colonists away from a colony. First off, the message did not warn me very strongly -- it may be relevant that I was intentionally dropping them on an overfull colony (because their racial modifiers sucked). Secondly, there were a number of strange behaviors.

1. I could still rush-order a starbase.
2. Next turn, I got a message saying the colony had completed the starbase, and then "(Next: )".
3. The colony did in fact disappear.
4. So did all the buildings for it (!).
5. Even when I recolonized later.
6. I had some colonists en route there. Sadly, they got there the same turn as the colony ship intended to replace the colony, so they died before I could colonize.

Seems like it might be nice to have a little smoother handling here, but it's a low priority, I think.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: Couple weird quirks and/or race conditions
(01-19-2013 03:55 PM)seebs Wrote:  Available slots: If you lose a Colony Infrastructure, you not only can't build stuff, you can't rebuild it until you scrap other buildings to get your total building pool down. This is pretty destructive, especially on smaller planets. Seems like maybe you should be able to build ICI even when you have zero or negative space. Especially noticeable in the case where an enemy sabotages one.

Colonist moving: I accidentally moved all the colonists away from a colony. First off, the message did not warn me very strongly -- it may be relevant that I was intentionally dropping them on an overfull colony (because their racial modifiers sucked). Secondly, there were a number of strange behaviors.

1. I could still rush-order a starbase.
2. Next turn, I got a message saying the colony had completed the starbase, and then "(Next: )".
3. The colony did in fact disappear.
4. So did all the buildings for it (!).
5. Even when I recolonized later.
6. I had some colonists en route there. Sadly, they got there the same turn as the colony ship intended to replace the colony, so they died before I could colonize.

Seems like it might be nice to have a little smoother handling here, but it's a low priority, I think.

With the exception of the rush-order starbase perhaps, that's all working as intended, so I dunno what would be changed to make it smoother...

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
01-21-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: Couple weird quirks and/or race conditions
1. It might make sense to have an explicit warning "this will destroy your colony", since there's no undo if you don't realize that you were dragging all the people instead of all but one. I do a LOT of colony maintenance sometimes; mistakes happen.
2. It might make sense for some or all of the buildings to be left there, abandoned, on the planet surface.
3. Not sure you should still be able to rush-order things.
4. I am also really curious as to what happens if you do this on a world with a TON of production facilities, and it's set to civic funding. In fact, so curious that I'm trying it!

Answer: The colony is lost, even though it had population growth of +1,219k population. I am pretty sure that, if nothing else, the message for that should not be "lost due to starvation".