Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1.1.9 Feedback
02-13-2013, 05:48 AM
RE: 1.1.9 Feedback
(02-13-2013 05:42 AM)macaronnie Wrote:  Ah ok I see what you mean, makes sense. I agree that you should have to send an actual ship, instead of getting the information instantly.

Hmm in fact looks like it is going to also give an ability to instantly investigate fleets too, including those that include Deep Space Jammers, and are more than 1 turn away -- e.g. 10 Laser equipped Frigates are going to cost more than 10 Plasma equipped Frigates, etc. It's much less of a problem with fleets of course. Is that warning really necessary though? Especially since the fleet can move anyway?

Excellent point on DSJ. Rocco, maybe for DSJ send the message regardless, forcing the opponent to send a ship to test it out. I'll often have 4-5 DSJ, most empty, one with the real fleet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 05:52 AM
BTW is there any description of what is the exact sequence of events? For example, if you declare war, and send your fleet from A to B; if there are enemy ships at both -- will the battle happen at A, at B, or at both?

Also if I order a Starbase constructed on turn 1, and there is an enemy incoming ship that arrives at turn 2, the Starbase will be shooting at it at turn 2 -- but what if there is already a battle going on at turns 1 and 2 -- will it enter as reinforcement at 2 and fight only at turn 3? What happens if you order a Starbase upgrade? What if you order an upgrade on the turn when the Starbase is destroyed -- is the money wasted?

It also seems that if you discover a technology on the same turn as you research the same technology, the outcome is indeterminate -- I had both a case where I would get RP back, and a case where RP would be lost (FWIW, the former was a derelict, and the latter was from ancient ruins -- not sure how spying would enter the picture...)
Also food/starvation seems to be indeterminate too -- I quite often see a starvation message when the previous turn there was no food shortage predicted.
02-13-2013, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 06:21 AM by rocco.)
(02-13-2013 05:48 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Excellent point on DSJ. Rocco, maybe for DSJ send the message regardless, forcing the opponent to send a ship to test it out. I'll often have 4-5 DSJ, most empty, one with the real fleet.

Good idea.

[edit] Although it probably needs it own message "Unable to detect fleet size - you ships may run" blah [/edit]
02-14-2013, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 07:39 AM by macaronnie.)
I really like the zoom-out feature! It works quite well.
A couple potential (optional) further improvements:
- Now once the picture is zoomed-out, the planet names become semi-transparent, which makes them a little harder to read -- could they just stay the same (i.e. non-transparent) as when at normal scale or zoomed-in?
- Would be even neater if the map could e.g. snap width to screen size (if zoomed to near that point), and (if so zoomed) would be scrolled vertically by dragging (because there would be no point to scroll it horizontally any more once the whole width fits). Maybe something for 1.1.1x Smile

Also: have there been any fixes to the Morph bug? I presume not because I didn't see it in the log. Since they are so common, I think that if I create a single-player game I might be able to get to a point where they would appear and would be somewhat replicable; what would be a good way to submit a bug report then?
I mean, I probably won't be able to come up with the exact replication sequence of events that would lead to the bug in an arbitrary save file, but I may be able to come up with such a sequence of actions that would illustrate it in a specific save file -- but I'm not sure how to attach it to the report (or if it gets attached automatically).
I think I've submitted a few bug reports from MP games with this before -- I stopped only because I think you probably have enough, but I have so far seen the bug in every single game in which I got Morph, sometimes even when a single ship was redirected, without any fleets forming on the fly at all.
BTW: it kinda looks to me like the bug with other empire info being displayed when it's not been spied for usually happens when that other empire is spying for information itself, and getting successful events -- not all such events seem to result in both empires getting the info, but maybe about 1 in 4...
02-14-2013, 08:00 AM
(02-14-2013 07:29 AM)macaronnie Wrote:  I mean, I probably won't be able to come up with the exact replication sequence of events that would lead to the bug in an arbitrary save file, but I may be able to come up with such a sequence of actions that would illustrate it in a specific save file -- but I'm not sure how to attach it to the report (or if it gets attached automatically).

That is exactly what would help. It would be best if it were in a single player game; while I have received several from MP games they never reproduce or they are a turn late. Since the SP games always autosave the turn before it is possible to replay the turn and make it happen.

That being said, the Morph bug continues to be a somewhat lower priority. Right now we go to get v1.1.9 out to fix bigger issues.
02-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Definitely, this is not something I would expect for 1.1.9 -- we can call it a "feature" for now, perhaps sometimes he gets drunk and mixes up his fleet messages Smile

How do I attach a single player save game to the report though?
02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Just tap on the version string at the bottom of the credits page. The all of your game are attached automatically. You can save the game a specific name (ie "This is the morph bug") and I'll see it here.
02-14-2013, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 08:43 AM by macaronnie.)
Ah OK. I have *MANY* save games though Smile I probably should delete a few first.
There is another request for extension (also for some future version of course): it would be really nice if I could select multiple saved games and then delete them all at once, rather than going one by one!
02-14-2013, 05:02 PM
A few questions regarding the "auto-retreat in the presence of superior enemy" implementation: is there any distinction between attacker and defender?

EG, suppose you have a planet defended by a frigate or a small force, and large (10x larger) enemy attacks. Is the defending fleet forced to retreat, enabling attacker to conquer and move on in one turn? What if you sent your small defending fleet to arrive same time as attacker?

What happens if defending force is a solitary Starbase, hit by a much larger force?
02-14-2013, 06:16 PM
(02-14-2013 05:02 PM)MarcusVictor Wrote:  A few questions regarding the "auto-retreat in the presence of superior enemy" implementation: is there any distinction between attacker and defender?

EG, suppose you have a planet defended by a frigate or a small force, and large (10x larger) enemy attacks. Is the defending fleet forced to retreat, enabling attacker to conquer and move on in one turn? What if you sent your small defending fleet to arrive same time as attacker?

What happens if defending force is a solitary Starbase, hit by a much larger force?

the auto-retreat only affects attackers. If there's a lone frigate in a system and you send your fleet to said system, combat will ensue as normal. Not sure what happens if they both arrive at the same time.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion