Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1.1.9 Feedback
02-15-2013, 12:52 AM
RE: 1.1.9 Feedback
(02-14-2013 06:16 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Not sure what happens if they both arrive at the same time.

Stationary fleets will never run, moving fleets will always check. In the case of two fleets arriving at the same system at the same time, both are moving so they have the possibility of retreating.

Fleets incoming to a system are successfully combined before making the check. For example, you have two fleets arriving at a system whom individually are not big enough to stay, but together are.

The other edge cases I know of are:

1) Reinforcements will currently always reinforce a combat. So in theory someone can send a "big enough" fleet to put you in combat then lock you down by sending in single frigates. I will probably leave this as is until 1.2.

2) If two fleets arrive at the same system same time, but one fleet has a stationary fleet at that system, the is merged fleet treated as a station or moving? I need to test this case out still, but the merged fleet should be treated as stationary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2013, 01:24 AM
First, I love the new fleet lockdown solution. Thank you!

I just tested a single frigate against a late-game system playfield.

In 1.1.8 and earlier, if there is no starbase, and you have not explored the system, you do not know if there will be a starbase there or not.

In the current beta build, if there is a starbase, you get the message "too big fleet". If you don't get that message, you know that the system does not have a starbase = information for free, no risk, invitation to send frigate there to harass the planet.

Solution: I think the DSJ message should apply to occupied systems without fleets, regardless of whether or not there is a starbase on it. "when you get there, you might face an overwhelming fleet and have to retreat". For situations where fleets and starbases combine, the 3000 production for starbases should be added to a fleet value to determine total production cost.

That said, I'd rather the current implementation go out to Apple then not include it.

Has anyone tried to send a frigate against a crystal yet? Monsters should have a production value of 0 (at the risk of affecting Gorz-spawn).
02-15-2013, 01:49 AM
(02-15-2013 01:24 AM)Diebo Wrote:  In 1.1.8 and earlier, if there is no starbase, and you have not explored the system, you do not know if there will be a starbase there or not.

In the current beta build, if there is a starbase, you get the message "too big fleet". If you don't get that message, you know that the system does not have a starbase = information for free, no risk, invitation to send frigate there to harass the planet.

Thanks! I'll put something in place for this.
02-15-2013, 02:08 AM
(02-15-2013 01:49 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-15-2013 01:24 AM)Diebo Wrote:  In 1.1.8 and earlier, if there is no starbase, and you have not explored the system, you do not know if there will be a starbase there or not.

And I guess it should have a fleet credit check, if >300 credits for the fleet going to a occupied system, don't give the message? Assuming a starbase is 3000 credits.

No message should go to unoccupied systems (monsters, unexplored planets).
02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
(02-12-2013 12:48 AM)Diebo Wrote:  2. Scrap all: I have 50+ planets. I am done researching, but cannot find the last few research stations/orbital labs easily. It would be SO nice if you could sort not only by what you CAN build, but also by what HAS BEEN built. This would be useful for other things too, like sort by planets with Space Elevator 2 to queue build orders, or sort by planets with agent training to build spies.

If you have all your people moved off of research, and then sort by research, you will have all of the planets with research buildings at the top. You can also show only planets that can build Covert Operative, which will be the ones that have Agent Training Facility. I can't think of an easy way to find which planets have Space Elevator, and this is a problem because I often have multiple planets that need to have Space Elevator scrapped, especially as I am conquering enemy planets. Which reminds me, it would be nice to have a sort by which turn a planet was colonized (or conquered), with the newer ones at the top. That could be made unnecessary by having a Scrap Queue and a Buy Queue, but I'd still like to have it.

(02-12-2013 12:48 AM)Diebo Wrote:  4. RE: 50+ planets and scrolling. It would be great if we could split the screen (like in Word or Excel) in empire view. For example, if I sort by production (which I often do late game), I could split the screen so the population breeder planets located 35 planets down the list can drop off a population at the top of the list easily. A split screen would be perfect for this. As it is now, dragging is quite tedious. Late game, you have to do this 10-15 times every turn (if you are cranking out 1M pop per turn on those breeder planets and you have 50+ planets).

There could be a button that you could hit on each planet in the empire view, that would then display that planet at the top of the empire view, and every other planet in a scrollable list right below it, so that as you scroll, your selected planet remains at the top. I think this is what you mean, and I like the idea.
02-16-2013, 12:45 AM
(02-15-2013 09:14 PM)JLP802 Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 12:48 AM)Diebo Wrote:  2. Scrap all: I have 50+ planets. I am done researching, but cannot find the last few research stations/orbital labs easily. It would be SO nice if you could sort not only by what you CAN build, but also by what HAS BEEN built. This would be useful for other things too, like sort by planets with Space Elevator 2 to queue build orders, or sort by planets with agent training to build spies.

If you have all your people moved off of research, and then sort by research, you will have all of the planets with research buildings at the top. You can also show only planets that can build Covert Operative, which will be the ones that have Agent Training Facility. I can't think of an easy way to find which planets have Space Elevator, and this is a problem because I often have multiple planets that need to have Space Elevator scrapped, especially as I am conquering enemy planets. Which reminds me, it would be nice to have a sort by which turn a planet was colonized (or conquered), with the newer ones at the top. That could be made unnecessary by having a Scrap Queue and a Buy Queue, but I'd still like to have it.

Excellent point on research, I never thought of that. Of course, by that time I am loaded with money and it really isn't a big deal. But I think everyone would agree that a sort by what you have (versus can build) would be a nice addition.

(02-15-2013 09:14 PM)JLP802 Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 12:48 AM)Diebo Wrote:  4. RE: 50+ planets and scrolling. It would be great if we could split the screen (like in Word or Excel) in empire view. For example, if I sort by production (which I often do late game), I could split the screen so the population breeder planets located 35 planets down the list can drop off a population at the top of the list easily. A split screen would be perfect for this. As it is now, dragging is quite tedious. Late game, you have to do this 10-15 times every turn (if you are cranking out 1M pop per turn on those breeder planets and you have 50+ planets).

There could be a button that you could hit on each planet in the empire view, that would then display that planet at the top of the empire view, and every other planet in a scrollable list right below it, so that as you scroll, your selected planet remains at the top. I think this is what you mean, and I like the idea.

Well, I would actually prefer two scrollable areas. When shifting population, a late-game must, the most efficient way is to sort by industry, and take the population from the bottom-of-the-list breeder planets up to the highest producing top-of-the-list planets. You want all those top planets at full capacity, and the bottom ones to just have one population. So you maybe add four to a planet that just got Gaia near the top, taking them from 4 planets at the bottom. The next top planet maybe only needs 1 pop... If you could split the screen horizontally, so you could swipe independently up or down for each screen, but drag items across the split screen bar, that would greatly help.

Speaking of moving population - it would be awesome if, as you were dragging the population to a planet, a number popped up showing how many turns it would take to get to that planet (before you let up your finger). Right now, you drag, drop, and it asks if you want to commit to something 12 turns away. Gah! No! So either go out to the map, try to find what is closest, and see if it has any pop to spare, or try again with another random planet and hope it is closer. Warp gate 2 removes this bother, so this is more of a mid-game problem. Sorting by planet proximity would also help in this regard.
02-16-2013, 02:15 AM
So there should be one scrollable area sorted by population growth and one sorted by industry. I have to admit, I never thought of that because I never used breeder planets, but now it makes perfect sense and I wish I had thought of it before. Maybe we should just be able to have up to two scrolable areas with arbitrary SQL quaries of our planets. That way, the Galaxy view could be replaced with that by just adding the explored planets.
02-16-2013, 02:27 AM
(02-16-2013 02:15 AM)JLP802 Wrote:  So there should be one scrollable area sorted by population growth and one sorted by industry. I have to admit, I never thought of that because I never used breeder planets, but now it makes perfect sense and I wish I had thought of it before. Maybe we should just be able to have up to two scrolable areas with arbitrary SQL quaries of our planets. That way, the Galaxy view could be replaced with that by just adding the explored planets.

With an iPhone, there wouldn't be much room to have two separate searches (although that would be fantastic) but even just sorting by industry puts your top producers on top, and your 1 pop planets (for the most part) at the bottom. I would be perfectly happy with just a split screen with one search.
02-16-2013, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2013 09:24 AM by macaronnie.)
(02-15-2013 01:49 AM)rocco Wrote:  

I thought it was already the case that starbases in range would be displayed? I think it would be most intuitive to show the starbase indicator on any system on which you would be able to detect ships in orbit, regardless of its being previously explored...

(02-16-2013 02:27 AM)Diebo Wrote:  
(02-16-2013 02:15 AM)JLP802 Wrote:  So there should be one scrollable area sorted by population growth and one sorted by industry. I have to admit, I never thought of that because I never used breeder planets, but now it makes perfect sense and I wish I had thought of it before. Maybe we should just be able to have up to two scrolable areas with arbitrary SQL quaries of our planets. That way, the Galaxy view could be replaced with that by just adding the explored planets.

With an iPhone, there wouldn't be much room to have two separate searches (although that would be fantastic) but even just sorting by industry puts your top producers on top, and your 1 pop planets (for the most part) at the bottom. I would be perfectly happy with just a split screen with one search.

This is also one of the major reasons why I had the sort by distance request (which would also be useful for a few other things): you could pick a planet with 2 POP, sort all planets by distance to it, and then drag to the nearest appropriate one, to save on travel time.
02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
(02-16-2013 09:23 AM)macaronnie Wrote:  
(02-16-2013 02:27 AM)Diebo Wrote:  

This is also one of the major reasons why I had the sort by distance request (which would also be useful for a few other things): you could pick a planet with 2 POP, sort all planets by distance to it, and then drag to the nearest appropriate one, to save on travel time.

I'd rather just have the split view, since the majority of the time when I'm moving a lot of population around from breeder planets I have WG2, so distance is irrelevant.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion