Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.2.0 General Feedback
02-25-2013, 02:48 AM
RE: v1.2.0 General Feedback
(02-24-2013 10:26 AM)kmcoulson Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 10:40 AM)rocco Wrote:  I sent in the request for the review to be expedited. Finger crossed.

v1.1.9 can go down in history as the worst SO release ever. Guess it had to happen eventually :/

I've been playing a 1.2 SP game on and off all day and haven't had any problems.

Kev

I've gotten my battle screen to act wierd. Giving orders gives me a "you can't set orders for enemy ships" and it shows a null ship before switches to one of my ships. It happens when I first hit orders and also when i hit the arrow keys to switch between my ships.

Also, during the battle playback I sometimes see the end my ships turn into my ship icons as they are hit and destroyed. They sometimes turn back into their own icons.

Looks like a pointer or index bug somewhere.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 03:10 AM
I ran through a full game. The biggest problem was during order-setting for a battle, a "cannot set orders for enemy fleet" message, with "null" for the ship properties, would pop into the current ship display as you moved between ships, and then be replaced by the next ship. Kind of ugly.
The "sending your fleet against an overwhelming force" message trigger needs some work. It pops up when a huge force is already fighting, plus it can give a free hint that there is a not-yet-visible Starbase waiting.
The last item I am not sure about, but it seems that I got Trade Port 2 without any announcement about brilliant researcher's bonus or anything. It just showed up as something to build.

Spying seems much better balanced now.
02-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks! I actually squeezed in a fix for the null battle ship thing before I submitted to Apple, but didn't rev the beta version. I'll send out another beta later with it so you can confirm.

Cheers,
Rocco
02-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Expedited review has been approved by Apple. We'll see how long it takes Smile
02-26-2013, 01:30 AM
(02-26-2013 01:11 AM)rocco Wrote:  Expedited review has been approved by Apple. We'll see how long it takes Smile

One and a half playthoughs in SP and no AI game crashes. I did easy though so I could just do turn without much thought to get through as many turns as possible since I was short on time this weekend. Smile

I did see that "Sell All" bug but I think I got the right amount of money back so it's just an info error.
02-26-2013, 01:33 AM
(02-26-2013 01:11 AM)rocco Wrote:  Expedited review has been approved by Apple. We'll see how long it takes Smile

Awesome. I am up to turn 238 with 7 impossible AI survival mode, and no problems so far.

This is the first time I have played single player against the AI in about 7 months. The reason I started playing MP was because I could beat the 7 impossible AI and needed a different challenge. To do it back then, without leaders and diplomacy was quite challenging. But this time, on a spiral galaxy, the AI left me alone for 150 turns. I didn't try to make any friends - if one of them asked for a trade or research pact, I granted it. With 150 turns, I was able to develop those 14 systems in my "arm" of the spiral into Gaias with PCM, Robotics 2, EF2, Space Elevator 2, Warp Gate 2 and had systems with Artificial Nebula, Starbase 3, ships with all the important tech, and 500M population.

I had built up a fleet up to my CP and hoarded enough credits to rebuilt my fleet 2x if needed, so I figured it was time to start attacking. I forgot to upgrade my Plasma 1 to Plasma 3 on my mammoths (that was the last tech I picked up, and just forgot to do it) so I actually lost my first mammoth fleet in a big battle. But I just rebuilt cruisers with 7 proton, 2 ammo, 2 HA2, and 2 ECM. These ships rip through the AI and are cheap. I slowly started taking out one neighbor, gaining CP along the way, and had enough cash generated (about 2000/turn) to immediately buy starbases, nebula, warp gates, etc for any new planet, or at one point go 60 over my CP cap when I needed two fleets.

The AI keeps attacking, but by now I have destroyed most of the fleets and it is just a matter of time (a lot of it, probably more than I have time for) to take over all the other planets.

Question: why wasn't the AI more aggressive? It used to be. It used to attack very quickly. The reason I didn't expand beyond my "arm" was that fear and respect for the impossible AI from before.

Also, it would be great if the AI had one of 4-6 perhaps battle strategies. Right now they are all generalists. It would be much more challenging and fun if they had random specializations (so one would go all missile, one might go all laser, one focus on getting plasma and staying at far range, one on gauss/Ion and charging close), and maybe 1-2 generalists. That way, if I build a proton fleet, I might do well against some but fail against a plasma fleet that has a lot of ECM.

RE: ECM. I recommend 1 ECM per CP of a ship.

All in all, great fun but it is back to MP for me.
02-26-2013, 01:35 AM
(02-26-2013 01:33 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Also, it would be great if the AI had one of 4-6 perhaps battle strategies. Right now they are all generalists. It would be much more challenging and fun if they had random specializations (so one would go all missile, one might go all laser, one focus on getting plasma and staying at far range, one on gauss/Ion and charging close), and maybe 1-2 generalists. That way, if I build a proton fleet, I might do well against some but fail against a plasma fleet that has a lot of ECM.

RE: ECM. I recommend 1 ECM per CP of a ship.

All in all, great fun but it is back to MP for me.

If we get LUA scripting I bet the AI would get a little tougher. Smile
02-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks for all the help!

Quote:Question: why wasn't the AI more aggressive? It used to be. It used to attack very quickly. The reason I didn't expand beyond my "arm" was that fear and respect for the impossible AI from before.

Once diplomacy was implemented how aggressive the AI is depends on the AI's disposition. Trustworthy and Peaceful AI are not aggressive unless provoked.
02-26-2013, 02:24 AM
(02-26-2013 02:15 AM)rocco Wrote:  Thanks for all the help!

Quote:Question: why wasn't the AI more aggressive? It used to be. It used to attack very quickly. The reason I didn't expand beyond my "arm" was that fear and respect for the impossible AI from before.

Once diplomacy was implemented how aggressive the AI is depends on the AI's disposition. Trustworthy and Peaceful AI are not aggressive unless provoked.

And that explains it. I just looked and each arm next to me is peaceful, so I just got lucky. I had 3 peaceful, 2 unpredictable, and 2 fanatical races and kept my profile low.

Perhaps a cool toggle for AI would be to select random, peaceful, moderate, or aggressive. I bet some players would really like to be up against peaceful races, while others would prefer the challenge of only playing aggressive races.
02-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Who needs expedited review? I just submitted an update to my app last night and its already gone into review after ~24 hours Tongue

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion