Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.2.0 General Feedback
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: v1.2.0 General Feedback
Rocco, has the UI changed at all in this release? Previously I have found that one of the AI races (in SP) always dominates until I can get strong enough to challenge them, by which time most of the other races are dead or dying. When I played on the 1.2 beta there were two strong races fighting it out before I was ready to join in which was much better.

GC ID: *-=KC Black Hawke=-* GMT+0
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I go away for one week holiday, and it seems like three new Starbase versions (1.1.19, 1.1.20, 1.1.21) are coming out...

rocco, do you know if the "hide your ship names from opponent, except in combat*" feature is scheduled to be implemented? It was discussed in this thread. That would make ship production management, and battle orders easier. No need to name all your Frigates "Scout" to hide info from opponent.

*Purpose of revealing ship names in combat for psych ops purposes, e.g., my 7 year old names his ships "Daddy Stinks" etc.
02-27-2013, 12:53 AM
(02-26-2013 04:59 PM)kmcoulson Wrote:  Rocco, has the UI changed at all in this release? Previously I have found that one of the AI races (in SP) always dominates until I can get strong enough to challenge them, by which time most of the other races are dead or dying. When I played on the 1.2 beta there were two strong races fighting it out before I was ready to join in which was much better.

Only bug and crash fixes. Sometimes a bug fix can introduce an unforeseen problem. What you describe sounds kind of normal, depending on what AI personalities you get.
02-27-2013, 12:57 AM
(02-26-2013 07:04 PM)MarcusVictor Wrote:  rocco, do you know if the "hide your ship names from opponent, except in combat*" feature is scheduled to be implemented? It was discussed in this thread. That would make ship production management, and battle orders easier. No need to name all your Frigates "Scout" to hide info from opponent.

*Purpose of revealing ship names in combat for psych ops purposes, e.g., my 7 year old names his ships "Daddy Stinks" etc.

I have not yet added it to the whipping post.
02-27-2013, 12:59 AM
(02-27-2013 12:53 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 04:59 PM)kmcoulson Wrote:  Rocco, has the UI changed at all in this release? Previously I have found that one of the AI races (in SP) always dominates until I can get strong enough to challenge them, by which time most of the other races are dead or dying. When I played on the 1.2 beta there were two strong races fighting it out before I was ready to join in which was much better.

Only bug and crash fixes. Sometimes a bug fix can introduce an unforeseen problem. What you describe sounds kind of normal, depending on what AI personalities you get.

Yeah, obviously I meant AI not UI! Haha In my experience there has only been one AI who dominates over the others by amassing a huge fleet very quickly presumably using bonuses. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that there seems to more competition between the AI in this game, I was just wondering if anything had changed to make it happen.

Just out of interest, how do you decide what goes into the next release? Do you take things off these forums? I've put forward some ideas on a couple of threads but have no idea if they will be popular or not!

Kev

GC ID: *-=KC Black Hawke=-* GMT+0
02-27-2013, 01:43 AM
(02-27-2013 12:59 AM)kmcoulson Wrote:  Just out of interest, how do you decide what goes into the next release? Do you take things off these forums? I've put forward some ideas on a couple of threads but have no idea if they will be popular or not!

There are a lot of factors that affect what makes it in the very next release and what doesn't. Feature requests from the forums usually fall into one of three camps.

1) The new feature is a non-disruptive addition to the game, can be done relatively quickly (ie does not require new artwork, sounds effects, etc), and has a number of people who +1 it.

2) The new feature is has game balance consideration, requires new artwork, and generated little interest on the forums.

3) I read the idea and immediately fell in love with it, which is usually a guaranteed path to inclusion.

Lots of your ideas here are cool. Many have been suggested before.

To pick one out, let's take random events as an example. It is a completely new code system that would need to be written (less of a quick addition there). It would have drastic game balance considerations (can't just implement this with a rand() and pray to the PRNG gods for equality). Those don't put it on the cutting room floor; random events is something I've wanted in from the beginning, but they need to be implemented correctly and other stuff continually pops up which I consider is higher priority.

Sometimes a really good idea comes along that solves a game balance problem, fits naturally into the game as is, and to me seems a no-brainer addition. In your list I would call the "planetary shields" and "flak cannons" ideas that fall into that category; the concept of more defenses against troop invasion, which raises the importance of a currently under-used technology.
02-27-2013, 02:17 AM
(02-26-2013 04:37 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Who needs expedited review? I just submitted an update to my app last night and its already gone into review after ~24 hours Tongue

How many virgins did you have to sacrifice?
02-27-2013, 03:46 AM
(02-27-2013 02:17 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 04:37 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Who needs expedited review? I just submitted an update to my app last night and its already gone into review after ~24 hours Tongue

How many virgins did you have to sacrifice?

Haha. None so far. Waiting for it to actually finish being reviewed, but that part usually seems to go pretty quick, so we'll see.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
02-27-2013, 05:34 AM
(02-27-2013 03:46 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Haha. None so far. Waiting for it to actually finish being reviewed, but that part usually seems to go pretty quick, so we'll see.

For comparison, I submitted SO and SO:FC at the same time. I only asked for an expedited review for SO. SO:FC still waiting in the queue.
02-27-2013, 06:59 AM
nice data points. Saving expedites for real pushes is also wise.

I'd hate to push too many "fast tracks" and get asked to refrain from using it regularly.