Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.2.0 General Feedback
02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
RE: v1.2.0 General Feedback
Diebo and I found a minor bug with the anti-lockdown mechanic. He had his colony ship on it's way to a system to colonize, I sent my scout there to arrive the turn before it arrived. His colony ship arrived and auto-retreated from my overwhelming force. I'm assuming that colony/troop ships have 0 or very little value since you can't upgrade them or sell for much cash, so it just counted it as too small a force and auto-retreated. There should be a check in there for non-com ships so they're still destroyed (unless its desired to work the way it is now). Also, when you scout an overwhelming force and auto-retreat, you're supposed to be able to see how the force is configured for the turn aren't you? I haven't been able to the last coupla times I've done it...

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
(02-27-2013 10:56 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Also, when you scout an overwhelming force and auto-retreat, you're supposed to be able to see how the force is configured for the turn aren't you? I haven't been able to the last coupla times I've done it...

Yup. Submit bug report next time you notice it pls.
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
(02-27-2013 12:48 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 10:56 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Also, when you scout an overwhelming force and auto-retreat, you're supposed to be able to see how the force is configured for the turn aren't you? I haven't been able to the last coupla times I've done it...

Will do. It was diebo's colony ship and he noticed it, so I blame him for not submitting one!!!!! Tongue.

We can probably just make it happen again since I still have scouts and he has colony ships...

02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
(02-27-2013 05:11 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 12:48 PM)rocco Wrote:  

Will do. It was diebo's colony ship and he noticed it, so I blame him for not submitting one!!!!! Tongue.

We can probably just make it happen again since I still have scouts and he has colony ships...

Sure, blame Diebo, everyone else does! But I believe Rocco is referring to your second part of the post, where you weren't able (sometimes) to see the configuration of an overwhelming fleet after scouting. I can assure you, my single colony ship was not overwhelming, nor was it equipped with any Weapons of Mass Destruction Smile.

Rocco, we'll try the colony vs frigate again. If you'd like an example of that, we'll be happy to send it in. We just figured that the value of a colony ship was set to zero or something so it was turned back, when it (and troop ships) should instead be treated as a different class of ship. Colony and Troop ships are a little tricky; if you raise the value such that they won't get the message, people could start to use an empty frigate and a single troop ship to lock down a much larger fleet, for example. But they should also be destroyed when hitting any force (that ideally has at least a single weapon).
02-28-2013, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2013 01:11 AM by Mezmorki.)
I've been playing v 1.2 vs. the AI and I've noticed the exact same thing with colony ships and with troop ships. I'll try to intercept their troop ships (no enemy combat ships in the fleet) with a frigate or 2 and the troop ships will turn around and runaway. Grrr....

On another note - I'm not sure that I like how the "overwhelming force" thing is being applied. For instance, the AI is scouting me heavily with scouts, but I can't use a big fleet (e.g. overwhelming force) to trap + kill their scouts because the scout will auto-retreat. This forces me to attack the scouts with deliberately smaller fleets where I might end up taking damage. It's really backwards.

An alternative I've dreamed up I'll simply call "Pinning." Basically, it works like this. A fleet of value X is only "pinned" and forced to engage in conflict if the opposing fleet is 1/10th it's size or larger. An unpinned fleet is free to have move orders issued as normal.

To get it to work cleanly in multi-player, from the standpoint of the opposing (weaker player), they ALWAYS face the normal battle screen and prepare combat orders as normal. If the bigger fleet decides to move away and not fight, it's akin to them all auto/instant retreating.

This retains the ability to SCOUT because both sides can see and access the battle screen to inspect opposing ships. Just the bigger fleet's owner is "unpinned" and can move off the system as normal and skip the actual combat phase when the turn ticks.

Make sense? I think this would be MUCH better.

EDIT: As an aside - this does mean that if I moved my "unpinned" fleet completely off the system, the opposing weak fleet/scout/etc. would still be at my system and could blockade. One should be able to choose, as with issuing normal movement orders whether to leave some ships behind to fight the scout while the main bulk of the fleet moves on.
02-28-2013, 01:29 AM
(02-27-2013 11:38 PM)Diebo Wrote:  Sure, blame Diebo, everyone else does! But I believe Rocco is referring to your second part of the post, where you weren't able (sometimes) to see the configuration of an overwhelming fleet after scouting. I can assure you, my single colony ship was not overwhelming, nor was it equipped with any Weapons of Mass Destruction Smile.

Correct, I was referring to the case of not being able to see the fleet contents on the turn you scouted. Since that seems to work, it must be an edge case causing it not to work.

I can reproduce the colony vs frigate thing in a test game, thanks.
02-28-2013, 03:39 AM
(02-28-2013 01:29 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 11:38 PM)Diebo Wrote:  Sure, blame Diebo, everyone else does! But I believe Rocco is referring to your second part of the post, where you weren't able (sometimes) to see the configuration of an overwhelming fleet after scouting. I can assure you, my single colony ship was not overwhelming, nor was it equipped with any Weapons of Mass Destruction Smile.

Correct, I was referring to the case of not being able to see the fleet contents on the turn you scouted. Since that seems to work, it must be an edge case causing it not to work.

I can reproduce the colony vs frigate thing in a test game, thanks.

I suppose that does make more sense Tongue. I'll keep an eye out for it.

02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Submitted a bug report earlier regarding scrap all - mainly that it isnt working right. Used scrap al. On lab3, looked at next planet and istill had the labs. After scrapping all on lab3 on several different planets, it appears to have finally scrapped all of the lab3s in my empire. Just found a further related bug - after it finally scrapped all, I started going through the rest of my planets until I found lab1 and lab2 so I could scrap all on those as well. When I hit them to scrap, there was no scrap option, it was treating it as if I'd already scrapped a building at those planets, regardless of thr fact that I had only scrapped lab3s so far, which these planets obviosly didnt have since they have 1 ir 2

02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
(02-27-2013 01:43 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 12:59 AM)kmcoulson Wrote:  Just out of interest, how do you decide what goes into the next release? Do you take things off these forums? I've put forward some ideas on a couple of threads but have no idea if they will be popular or not!

There are a lot of factors that affect what makes it in the very next release and what doesn't. Feature requests from the forums usually fall into one of three camps.

1) The new feature is a non-disruptive addition to the game, can be done relatively quickly (ie does not require new artwork, sounds effects, etc), and has a number of people who +1 it.

2) The new feature is has game balance consideration, requires new artwork, and generated little interest on the forums.

3) I read the idea and immediately fell in love with it, which is usually a guaranteed path to inclusion.

Lots of your ideas here are cool. Many have been suggested before.

To pick one out, let's take random events as an example. It is a completely new code system that would need to be written (less of a quick addition there). It would have drastic game balance considerations (can't just implement this with a rand() and pray to the PRNG gods for equality). Those don't put it on the cutting room floor; random events is something I've wanted in from the beginning, but they need to be implemented correctly and other stuff continually pops up which I consider is higher priority.

Sometimes a really good idea comes along that solves a game balance problem, fits naturally into the game as is, and to me seems a no-brainer addition. In your list I would call the "planetary shields" and "flak cannons" ideas that fall into that category; the concept of more defenses against troop invasion, which raises the importance of a currently under-used technology.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I see your point on random events, it would be a lot of dev work but in my opinion it would be time and effort well spent, if you had the time to dedicate to it obviously!

I definitely think that planetary defences is worth looking at too though, bombardment isn't used much by all accounts and this would force it to be used and also make subjugating a planet that bit harder.

GC ID: *-=KC Black Hawke=-* GMT+0
03-06-2013, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 05:43 AM by VanderLegion.)
Just had another case of scouting an overwhelming force, ship autoretreating, and not being able to see my opponent's ship configurations. Sent in a bug report this time.
Could it be related to starbases perhaps? Scout shows up, game sees the starbase as an overwhelming force and causes the scout to flee without checking for a fleet on top of the starbase?