Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Information Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
Having played and followed the progress of SO from long before release, it is so nice to see patches turn to polish and smaller bug fixes, with most (if not early all) important system and mechanics already in place. Massive kudos! Now let's Kickstart SO and see it spread like an interstellar alien swarm to other platforms!

One of the last features still on my rapidly shrinking wishlist for SO is contiguous async. Any chance we might see highly convenient mechanic in an upcoming patch?

By the slightly contradictory “contiguous async”, I am referring to a system where we, instead of being forced out to the main menu after completing our active turn, remain in game while we wait for our next turn. This is a standard of many async titles for iOS (most, actually), as it allows players to experience matches in realtime (as real-time as turn-based titles ever get, at least), without detracting from the convenience of async (players are free to drop out at any time, whereupon normal async mechanics kick in).

Ideally, during the turns of other players, we would have the same freedom as in Civ IV, where we can still make changes to production queues, military orders and population allocation, and where those changes take effect as soon as we submit our next turn.

An ideal companion to contiguous async would be a button/menu alternative that alerts us and allows us to jump directly to active turns in other SO games.

(For examples of async titles that use contiguous async to a great effect, look to Carcassonne and Playdek's Nightfall, Ascension and Summoner Wars.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
RE: Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
There just might be some news around this in the not so distant future...
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
RE: Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
+1 for this idea.

I haven't played SO multiplayer yet - but this would be huge. I make a lot of (favorable) comparrisons to the browser 4X game UltraCorps and this is exactly what happens in that game, it works really well.

UltraCorps actually gives you a few turn options as well. For example, you can set the game to "auto-tick" at a regular time (e.g. midnight each day) to keep the game moving, or set it to auto-tick once everyone complete's their orders. As referenced above, it also allows you to continue to tweak and change orders up until the "tick" happens.