Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Split view (from 1.1.9 thread)
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Split view (from 1.1.9 thread)
Split View

My recommendation for "split view" implementation is to be able to lock one planet row to the top of the empire list and allow scrolling as normal for the rest of the panel.

On the iPhone that leaves one locked planet and three (and a smidge) floating ones.

The locked planet can either be a breeder that you are moving pop off of or a new colony you are hunting for pop to stick on.

Button space is at a premium so I would add the "lock" functionality under the "sort by" pop down. So you would have:

Sort Planets By: xxx
Show if Can Build: xxx
Lock Top Row : <checkbox>

Whatever planet was currently the top row gets locked.

I'd change the background color to a very light gray over the dark gray and invert the text foreground color to dark. Since you gotta duplicate this planet from the scrollview into a new view anyway...

Since the user story is typically pop movement I have a UI enhancement request:

You can actually select two blocks of population for movement by using two fingers on different pop groups. It works but I have no idea why anyone would ever deliberately choose to do this.

I would prefer you detect the second touch as an indicator that I would like to change the number of selected population rather than an indication of a second simultaneous pop transfer.

You can do this in your touchesBegan:withEvent handler by comparing the number of touches in [event allTouches] against the touches in the current TouchesBegan event.

You may need to save the [touch hash] of the first event or maybe just set a bool as to whether or not you're already in move mode...that might be simplest overall. No need to even compare counts although if that flag ever gets out of sync...

For the 2nd touch you can change the number of selected pop from the current pop group based on up down movement of that second finger. Move up and increase the number of pop grabbed. Move down and decrease the number of pop grabbed.

PS: Minor display bug in 1.1.7 that may still exist in 1.1.9: When you do the multiple pop group moves using multiple fingers the popup count (Farmer 1, Worker 5, etc) for one of the events doesn't go away.

Given that nobody would do something like this I doubt anyone has seen it.

Note: Not an iOS dev even though I've played with it. Built a couple android apps and a really simple iOS app a year or two ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2013, 12:50 AM
RE: Split view (from 1.1.9 thread)
(02-22-2013 02:19 PM)nigel_ht Wrote:  Split View

My recommendation for "split view" implementation is to be able to lock one planet row to the top of the empire list and allow scrolling as normal for the rest of the panel.

On the iPhone that leaves one locked planet and three (and a smidge) floating ones.

The locked planet can either be a breeder that you are moving pop off of or a new colony you are hunting for pop to stick on.

Button space is at a premium so I would add the "lock" functionality under the "sort by" pop down. So you would have:

Sort Planets By: xxx
Show if Can Build: xxx
Lock Top Row : <checkbox>

Whatever planet was currently the top row gets locked.

This wouldn't really solve the breeder moving problem very efficiently. For example, in a large game I might have 60 planets, with 20 of them "breeding". I need to move 1 pop a turn, preferably to the highest industry potential planets. So I sort by industry, and the top producers are at the top, and the breeders are at the bottom. I have to slowly drag 30-40+ planets up to reach the top planets. Each one might need only 1-4 pop until they are full. My recommendation is a split screen. You can separately scroll to the top producing planets, and the breeders. Just drag a pop from the breeder to the appropriate producer. This would go really fast, as you just scroll down the breeder list, and fill up the producer list.

Locking a planet has lag time (to get to that menu). And once you fill up its 1-4 pop, you need to select another planet and do it all again. It would take significantly longer to move pop this way than just splitting the screen and allowing two separate scroll areas.
02-23-2013, 06:23 AM
(02-23-2013 12:50 AM)Diebo Wrote:  This wouldn't really solve the breeder moving problem very efficiently. For example, in a large game I might have 60 planets, with 20 of them "breeding". I need to move 1 pop a turn, preferably to the highest industry potential planets. So I sort by industry, and the top producers are at the top, and the breeders are at the bottom. I have to slowly drag 30-40+ planets up to reach the top planets. Each one might need only 1-4 pop until they are full. My recommendation is a split screen. You can separately scroll to the top producing planets, and the breeders. Just drag a pop from the breeder to the appropriate producer. This would go really fast, as you just scroll down the breeder list, and fill up the producer list.

Locking a planet has lag time (to get to that menu). And once you fill up its 1-4 pop, you need to select another planet and do it all again. It would take significantly longer to move pop this way than just splitting the screen and allowing two separate scroll areas.

This is why I hate big games...the micromanagement required if you want to play at the most efficient. For 6 planets this is cool. For 60 it's a huge annoyance to me.

Anyway, if you mean a horizontal split then on the iPhone you have 2 rows for each screen. This could work but is pretty limited.

A vertical split is possible but you don't have access to all the columns.

Given your use case I don't recommend either approach. I'd probably prefer a system where you can designate planets as population providers and sinks. Then each turn any provider grows one pop can send it to the closest sink that has room.

As emperor you don't need to manually drag pop around, you simply set emigration policy.

To do what you want you already need to do this to put planets into two to three lists. Breeders, Producers and the planets you leave alone.
02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
(02-23-2013 06:23 AM)nigel_ht Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 12:50 AM)Diebo Wrote:  This wouldn't really solve the breeder moving problem very efficiently. For example, in a large game I might have 60 planets, with 20 of them "breeding". I need to move 1 pop a turn, preferably to the highest industry potential planets. So I sort by industry, and the top producers are at the top, and the breeders are at the bottom. I have to slowly drag 30-40+ planets up to reach the top planets. Each one might need only 1-4 pop until they are full. My recommendation is a split screen. You can separately scroll to the top producing planets, and the breeders. Just drag a pop from the breeder to the appropriate producer. This would go really fast, as you just scroll down the breeder list, and fill up the producer list.

This is why I hate big games...the micromanagement required if you want to play at the most efficient. For 6 planets this is cool. For 60 it's a huge annoyance to me.

Anyway, if you mean a horizontal split then on the iPhone you have 2 rows for each screen. This could work but is pretty limited.

Given your use case I don't recommend either approach. I'd probably prefer a system where you can designate planets as population providers and sinks. Then each turn any provider grows one pop can send it to the closest sink that has room.

As emperor you don't need to manually drag pop around, you simply set emigration policy.

To do what you want you already need to do this to put planets into two to three lists. Breeders, Producers and the planets you leave alone.

I actually would prefer a horizontal split. Normally by the time I am switching population, I have warp gates to "closest" isn't critical.

And I usually use Shared IQ, so I usually try to fill planets up to cut-off points for the next advantage (i.e. 13, 19, 25 pop) or am adding 2 or 4 to a developing planet that just got a level of ACP to help it along its path to Gaiahood. The split horizontal split screen facilitates that better.

But it would be nice to have a "ship to closest planet needing pop that isn't a breeder planet" or "ship to most productive that needs pop" command. From a programming perspective, it would probably be a nightmare to not overpopulate a planet. But I would probably use that feature.
02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
(02-23-2013 08:00 AM)Diebo Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 06:23 AM)nigel_ht Wrote:  

I actually would prefer a horizontal split. Normally by the time I am switching population, I have warp gates to "closest" isn't critical.

And I usually use Shared IQ, so I usually try to fill planets up to cut-off points for the next advantage (i.e. 13, 19, 25 pop) or am adding 2 or 4 to a developing planet that just got a level of ACP to help it along its path to Gaiahood. The split horizontal split screen facilitates that better.

But it would be nice to have a "ship to closest planet needing pop that isn't a breeder planet" or "ship to most productive that needs pop" command. From a programming perspective, it would probably be a nightmare to not overpopulate a planet. But I would probably use that feature.

I'm with diebo on both points. The horizontal split would be hugely helpful for transfering pop, but I would definitely use a system with breeders and sinks as well if it were there.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
02-26-2013, 01:33 AM
(02-23-2013 08:02 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I'm with diebo on both points. The horizontal split would be hugely helpful for transfering pop, but I would definitely use a system with breeders and sinks as well if it were there.

I did breeders a little different where I use only a couple planets with only a couple pop to max the rate.

That does mean I waste growth on the other planets but saves me mental cycles. I probably wouldn't do that in a multi-player game but you can be very sloppy against the AI.