Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Early game tutorial for absolute newcomers.
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
RE: Early game tutorial for absolute newcomers.
(04-13-2012 10:41 AM)FredR3rd Wrote:  Is hull size the only determinant on the speed of your ship? Or does how much stuff you put on it also have an effect?

Weapons/systems have no effect on the speed of the ship except for auxillary thrusters and combat engines, which increase turning and speed respectively. You can equip all the armor etc you want without affecting speed.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi All,

I hesitated to buy Starbase Orion but im glad i did it and want to thanks bailknight for this great tutorial.

There are still things i dont understand about this game. Hopefully some one of you can answer these questions:

1: Any advice for a newbie like me for the early, mid and late game?
- What to build , where to build and why should i build it?
- What should i research on the early, mid and late game? and why?

2: Can i apply a new weapon to an existing ship?

3: Do you guys use spies? Do you think they are usefull? how do you guys use those?

4: Do you guys keep all your ships together or do you separate them in different groups? and why?

5: When you enter a battle you will see a graph and your enemies. How do you read that graph? how do i know which ship of my can defeat an certain enemy? How do i know the damage output? If you guys entering a battle what do you do?

kind regards

Noisy Ninja
06-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Great tutorial. Thank you. I'm glad it was made a sticky.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
07-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Photo RE: Early game tutorial for absolute newcomers.
I was profoundly and insanely bored at work, so I converted this guide to an EPUB file.

Now I can flip between reading the guide in iBooks and playing the game.

PM me for corrections or changes.

http://hexibex.us/misc/SONoob.epub (8 MB)

-Jeff
07-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Thanks for building the intro. This game looks good and I'm always looking for a new version of MOO.
08-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Ooooh plz, continue this awesome tutorial!
07-04-2013, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 07:17 AM by draske.)
(06-05-2012 08:17 AM)NoisyNinja Wrote:  Hi All,

I hesitated to buy Starbase Orion but im glad i did it and want to thanks bailknight for this great tutorial.

There are still things i dont understand about this game. Hopefully some one of you can answer these questions:

1: Any advice for a newbie like me for the early, mid and late game?
- What to build , where to build and why should i build it?
- What should i research on the early, mid and late game? and why?

2: Can i apply a new weapon to an existing ship?

3: Do you guys use spies? Do you think they are usefull? how do you guys use those?

4: Do you guys keep all your ships together or do you separate them in different groups? and why?

5: When you enter a battle you will see a graph and your enemies. How do you read that graph? how do i know which ship of my can defeat an certain enemy? How do i know the damage output? If you guys entering a battle what do you do?

kind regards

Noisy Ninja

1) For buildings, it depends on what I need at the moment. Whenever I colonize a new planet, the first things I build involve production. That is because everything else can be built faster on an industrialized planet. After that, I build what I need. For example if my colony is almost fully populated, I will build advanced city planning. If I have to build up my military, I will focus on building starbases and ships. It depends on what you need, but some people might have a different strategy then this.

I almost always begin by researching efficient factories 1. I will be able to build other things faster with it. I will try to get research facilities so that I can research other things faster. After that, it depends. If a lot of colonies start to fill up, I will research advanced city planning and improved colony infrastructure. Also, for longer games, you don't have to worry about not getting around to researching everything. You could get it later.

2) You can only do that with starbases. For ships, you could tap on the button that says 'military'. From there, you could change the design of new ships. If you want to add a new weapon, you need to tap on the ship and pick 'upgrade' and tap a planet. This will destroy the ship, but will give you production in return. This will allow you to build the ship you actually want faster.

3) Spies are very useful, almost over-powered. They only can be used if you made contact with an enemy empire. You move the spies to the place on the enemy empire. The more you have, the more likely you are to cause trouble for the enemy. Changing the focus will tell you how the spies are likely to mess with your opponents. The thing is, if you are able to mess with your enemy, the enemy can also spy on you. That is what the bottom try is for. These are defensive agents. The more you have, the less likely it is your enemy will be able to cause you trouble.

4) Everyone is different and has a different strategy. For me, it depends on several things. I do tend to keep troop ships with each other, but separate from any fighting ships for organization purposes. I leave colony ships where they are until I find a good planet to colonize. For ships that can fight, it depends. If I am facing a computer opponent, I will tend to keep ships together so I don't spread myself too thin, unless I have a large enough fleet compared to the computer to do so. If I am facing a human opponent, I will sometimes keep ships with the same weapon configuration together. This is because I could make it seem like I am building a fleet that specializes in certain weapons when I am really not. This way my opponent will try to use weapons that tend to counter those, while I mainly focus on countering the enemy. This tactic is useless if the enemy has the twins as one of their leaders. I tend to not do this with computers because they are not smart enough for this to work. (Although now that I told everyone what I do, I probably won't do this as often.)

5) This thread might be useful. There would be a lot to explain.

http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forum...p?tid=1230

Basically, it depends on what your opponent is doing.
11-03-2015, 07:02 AM
quote='VanderLegion' pid='1381' dateline='1321911872']
(11-22-2011 07:39 AM)Kiel Wrote:  I have a question on you moving your colonists to other worlds. When do you know it's a good idea to do so? What happens to the world that the colonists left, will you regain the colonists in that world when your population grows? I notice the homeworld is full in population, if I transfer a worker to a new colony and let it grow back to 16, is that a good idea? Thanks.

When you look at the empire screen, it shows something like 3/4 Population (+40k) (something like that, not in game atm). The +40k there is the rate your population grows at. Each population (the 3/4 or whatever numbers for a given planet) is 1 million colonists. So at +40k growth, it'll take 25 turns for you population to go up to 4/4. If you have a world with full population (like your homeworld) ad send a colonist away, then yes, it'll continue to grow again until the planet is once again full.

I regularly send colonists to new worlds when I colonize new planets. I'll typically take one from the highest pop planet I have (or two or more depending ont he planet) and send them to the new planet to get it ramped up earlier. I also like to pull them off full planets and send them to others to get my population maxed faster. (half full planets and half growing planets will be a lot slower than all 3/4 full planets for example since you'll have more planets growing at a time)
[/quote]

How do you go about transferring people to other planets? Thanks
11-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Todk:

Go to empire screen, pick some colonists from a planet (by touching and dragging) and drop them on another planet. Unless the planet is in the same system (in which case the transfer is instantaneous), you'll be notified of the number of turns it takes to move those colonists to your planet of choice and asked to confirm.

GC ID: anthee999
11-03-2015, 09:12 PM
(11-03-2015 04:10 PM)anthee Wrote:  Todk:

Go to empire screen, pick some colonists from a planet (by touching and dragging) and drop them on another planet. Unless the planet is in the same system (in which case the transfer is instantaneous), you'll be notified of the number of turns it takes to move those colonists to your planet of choice and asked to confirm.

Thanks much.