Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Round Table: Miscellaneous combat changes
04-09-2013, 07:23 AM
RE: Round Table: Miscellaneous combat changes
(04-09-2013 06:59 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 06:51 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Interesting. For some reason, with no engines the VL special (last test) won about as much as they lost, if I am reading the info correctly. And the results aren't perfectly linear.

Yes, you are correct. The ones most in favor for plasma are the ones with 1 or 2 engines, with the only clear win for IPC being 3 engines.

My only speculation is that since we are only adding speed and not turn rate, there is a tipping point where the plasma cannot compensate. But that's just a wild guess.

The first four tests are without shields, the last four with shields.

Anyway, while I'm down here i am going to re-examine the movement points code. Its always been a little wonky in regards to combat pilots/engines/whatnot.

In the testing I did in previous versions, thrusters were pretty much useless. I was thinking they might have more relevance with the current movement rules, but haven't given it a try yet. With the need for 3 engines, 3 ECM (now more important than ever), and HA/RB, there isn't much room to spare. Less armor and proton can knock you out. Tangent -- That idea floating around to have people use systems/weapons slots interchangeably would certainly add to flexibility.

VL and I determined that pilots were a must-have.

Tweak away! It is great that you can run it through the combat simulator x 100 runs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Quick thought. With the change to Hold Together to just shut off the engines and keep their starting place, it would make sense to change the name of the order to Hold Position instead.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Ok, so combat movement points, combat engines, and combat pilots have now been reworked. The formulae before were complex and not easily understood. This new system is simple. The goal here was to remove ambiguity, and to let MarcusVictor say "I told you so".

Each ship class gets a base number of "movement points". They equate to how fast your ships go, and how often they can turn. Each movement point allows your ship to turn up to its turning value (see below) and to move forward one unit.

mammoth 1, titan 2, battleship 3, cruiser 4, destroyer 5, frigate 6.

Combat engines add another movement point to your ship. So, a mammoth with 5 combat engines is as fast as a frigate.

Combat pilots racial adds a movement point to your ship. So, it is now equivalent to a combat engine.

Tyrrhenius adds two movement points to your ship. So, he is equivalent to 2 combat engines.

Each class of ship has a base turning value. This turning value is a multiple of 1 / 48 of a circle ( 2*PI/48 ). Call it "t".

mammoth t*1, titan t*2, battleship t*3, cruiser t*4, destroyer t*5, frigate t*6.

Auxiliary thrusters racial adds another "t" to your turning value.

Combat pilots racial adds another "t" to your turning value. So it is now equivalent to one aux thruster.

Tyrrhenius adds two "t" to your ship. So, he is equivalent to 2 aux thrusters.
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
(04-09-2013 01:36 PM)rocco Wrote:  Ok, so combat movement points, combat engines, and combat pilots have now been reworked. The formulae before were complex and not easily understood. This new system is simple. The goal here was to remove ambiguity, and to let MarcusVictor say "I told you so".

Each ship class gets a base number of "movement points". They equate to how fast your ships go, and how often they can turn. Each movement point allows your ship to turn up to its turning value (see below) and to move forward one unit.

mammoth 1, titan 2, battleship 3, cruiser 4, destroyer 5, frigate 6.

Combat engines add another movement point to your ship. So, a mammoth with 5 combat engines is as fast as a frigate.

Combat pilots racial adds a movement point to your ship. So, it is now equivalent to a combat engine.

Tyrrhenius adds two movement points to your ship. So, he is equivalent to 2 combat engines.

Each class of ship has a base turning value. This turning value is a multiple of 1 / 48 of a circle ( 2*PI/48 ). Call it "t".

mammoth t*1, titan t*2, battleship t*3, cruiser t*4, destroyer t*5, frigate t*6.

Auxiliary thrusters racial adds another "t" to your turning value.

Combat pilots racial adds another "t" to your turning value. So it is now equivalent to one aux thruster.

Tyrrhenius adds two "t" to your ship. So, he is equivalent to 2 aux thrusters.

Sounds good, can't wait to test it out.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion