Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tournament Timing
07-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Tournament Timing
I wanted to hear how people are liking the new changes to the timers.

Casual - one turn per day
Tournament - time allocation and bonus each time you make a turn

I have some thoughts that Tournament is contrary to how I'd like to see it and since it's taken from a chess game - it doesn't scale well for 8 way matches. In fact, it's quite trivial for one or two people to put a serious delay on other players as the tourney time exists today.

In a nutshell - I would like to propose that each player waiting for your move drains your remaining clock in parallel.

In that 8 way game - let's say you have 24 hours on your clock and everyone now can move. Since no one has played - everyone's clock starts ticking and if no one moves, you will have your entire 24 hours to move.

Let's say that everyone has moved and you are holding everyone up. Take that 24 hours (1440 minutes) and divide by 8 - you can now only hold everyone up for 180 minutes.

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts.

I could see this moving too fast - so perhaps we might need to complicate things a little (like giving a grace period before the stacking commences) or maybe otherwise capping the delays to reward people that move and keep one or two players from dragging the entire party down to a crawl.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2013, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 02:21 AM by MiiiikeT.)
RE: Tournament Timing
I do agree that the current tourney timer doesn't seem to be speeding up the game too much. Wouldn't mind something a bit speedier. Maybe a 4th option for a timer specifically made for large games.

GC- MiiikeT
Always up for a game

Sandbox(beta)- MonkSRb
Regular: MessiTheMessiah10(just changed my GC id from MonkSR)
07-30-2013, 02:26 AM
180 minutes in your example wouldn't give people time to sleep, if they are in different time zones... But I think you recognize this.

I like tourney timer. Sure, people who aren't committed can stall things, but only for a set time, then it starts moving again. And you don't invite those people back. Unlike casual timer, you can actually build up enough time to take a vacation/weekend off. On games that can last months, this is important.

But I think what you are hoping for is a timer that allows a big, 8-person game to be finished fairly quickly. None of them are designed for this.

Perhaps another timer option would be nice. The "lightning paced" timer. Maybe based on the concept of the tourney timer, with some modification.

For example, what if the max you could bank was 12 hours? And maybe only add 3 hours instead of 4 per turn? This would greatly increase the pace of turns, but allow for sleep/playing across time zones.

For now, I see in the in-game chat that people are asking to play "fast FFA", trying to self-select fast playing people. I don't know how that worked out for them.

What we have is SUCH an improvement over before.
07-30-2013, 02:40 AM
(07-30-2013 02:26 AM)Diebo Wrote:  180 minutes in your example wouldn't give people time to sleep, if they are in different time zones... But I think you recognize this.

I like tourney timer. Sure, people who aren't committed can stall things, but only for a set time, then it starts moving again. And you don't invite those people back. Unlike casual timer, you can actually build up enough time to take a vacation/weekend off. On games that can last months, this is important.

But I think what you are hoping for is a timer that allows a big, 8-person game to be finished fairly quickly. None of them are designed for this.

Perhaps another timer option would be nice. The "lightning paced" timer. Maybe based on the concept of the tourney timer, with some modification.

For example, what if the max you could bank was 12 hours? And maybe only add 3 hours instead of 4 per turn? This would greatly increase the pace of turns, but allow for sleep/playing across time zones.

For now, I see in the in-game chat that people are asking to play "fast FFA", trying to self-select fast playing people. I don't know how that worked out for them.

What we have is SUCH an improvement over before.

It for sure is an improvement no doubt about that. I think a 4th option would be the best bet.

GC- MiiikeT
Always up for a game

Sandbox(beta)- MonkSRb
Regular: MessiTheMessiah10(just changed my GC id from MonkSR)
08-05-2013, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 05:55 AM by bmike.)
I don't think the 180 minutes is too harsh since you only have that short timeout at the start of the game. If you join a game and don't show up to play a few turns - what's the harm of dropping that player (or getting them to skip a few turns) when the rest of the 8 are ready to play? If everyone doesn't bank serious time - when they decide to show up - they'll get time added to the bank enough to keep up.

As it stands - here are the timeouts I have on "tourney" games and their turn count:

Turn - Banked time for me - Turn Advance time (longest banked time that hasn't played yet this turn)
408.9 - next week - next week
408.0 - 6 days - next week
407.3 - 6 days - 5 days
405.4 - 5 days - 5 days
403.4 - 4 days - 5 days
402.7 - 2 days - 3 days

Now - I sleep a lot (usually offline 10 hours a day minimum - and lately have not played during the day except for an hour over lunch) and I've banked serious wait times as have every other "responsive" player in these games. It just feels like the build up piles on too much time to keep a tournament moving.

Perhaps Roc can hit the forum with some data on the first 3 weeks of games on how the various timeouts affect gameplay rates.