Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about brilliant researchers in latest beta 1.2.2.b5
09-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Question about brilliant researchers in latest beta 1.2.2.b5
Is the tech you get from the BR bonus still weighted towards less expensive techs? Or is it now back to the old random way as long as <3x cost of tech you are researching?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2013, 01:15 AM
RE: Question about brilliant researchers in latest beta 1.2.2.b5
It is currently still weighted, but it is weighted less strongly.
09-05-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm sort of torn on this. Purely random, it was clearly WAY too powerful. I just did a game where I had some advantages, some disadvantages, genius/narrow field scientists, and got Cerebrum.

I managed to FINISH the tech tree off a huge homeworld without ever actually building research anywhere else. (Huge galaxy, admittedly.) Just because of the insane research production (>1k/turn) of that one planet.

Thoughts: Automatic doubling is clearly way too good. Alternatives:
1. Every N techs you research, you get another bonus tech. Not random, but consistently every-N. Maybe every 5, and with Cerebrum + the racial trait, it becomes every 4.
2. You could repurpose it a bit towards gap-filling. What if it always picked the lowest-cost research available, and could pick "passed over" technologies? You didn't get Efficient Factories I, somehow? As soon as you've researched everything else (in all three trees) worth under 500 points, it becomes possible for a BR proc to get you EF I.
3. BR could have its own "pool" of points. Basically, whenever you generate research, BR gets a hunk of "bonus" research points at some scaling factor. Say, 60% for racial trait, 20% for Cerebrum, 80% for both. When you research a tech, BR picks a random available tech. If it has enough points, it buys that tech instantly; otherwise, nothing happens, but it keeps accumulating points.

Actually, #3 is really appealing to me. The problem with "random" is that RNG-based things can be unfun and create a serious imbalance. But with that mechanic, you're never "losing out" on your BR procs; you're always accumulating BR research points, and if you don't get a tech this time, that's that many more BR research points that will be available the next time you research a tech. So you might fail a few times because it picks big things, but then you can actually get the next big thing it picks.
09-06-2013, 02:07 AM
(09-05-2013 08:09 AM)seebs Wrote:  I'm sort of torn on this. Purely random, it was clearly WAY too powerful. I just did a game where I had some advantages, some disadvantages, genius/narrow field scientists, and got Cerebrum.

I managed to FINISH the tech tree off a huge homeworld without ever actually building research anywhere else. (Huge galaxy, admittedly.) Just because of the insane research production (>1k/turn) of that one planet.

Changes to both Cerebrum (no longer 100 percent iirc) and labs (now 10/20 percent) should really help here.

(09-05-2013 08:09 AM)seebs Wrote:  Thoughts: Automatic doubling is clearly way too good. Alternatives:
1. Every N techs you research, you get another bonus tech. Not random, but consistently every-N. Maybe every 5, and with Cerebrum + the racial trait, it becomes every 4.
2. You could repurpose it a bit towards gap-filling. What if it always picked the lowest-cost research available, and could pick "passed over" technologies? You didn't get Efficient Factories I, somehow? As soon as you've researched everything else (in all three trees) worth under 500 points, it becomes possible for a BR proc to get you EF I.
3. BR could have its own "pool" of points. Basically, whenever you generate research, BR gets a hunk of "bonus" research points at some scaling factor. Say, 60% for racial trait, 20% for Cerebrum, 80% for both. When you research a tech, BR picks a random available tech. If it has enough points, it buys that tech instantly; otherwise, nothing happens, but it keeps accumulating points.

I don't like 1. so much. It is already geared to 2. (but not past techs - I like this idea though).

The new implementation has a random percent, but you know it upfront for planning purposes. A bit unrealistic, true. In a game I'm playing, I had a 97% chance to get a tech, so I knew that I would get 2. But I have had 2 in a row without a bonus tech. It certainly doesn't feel OP right now.

RE: your idea to accumulate points. I do sorta like that. At that point, you are spending 6 points on a trait that gives you a somewhat random tech. For six points, you could get genius and guarantee your tech. The balance would need to take this into consideration.

But I'll play around with Roc's current implementation before passing judgement. I do kinda like it. When brilliant gave 30%, I didn't find it worth it (but research was free back then, too). Now it is 2x as expensive of a trait, and gives about 50% on average (I think). It kinda works - there are usually necessary techs, and nice techs, and usually more necessary techs than you can easily get in one pass. This helps pick up a few more of those, at the cost of moving up the ladder slower than the genius route.