Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How hard would it be to add RNG seed as an option?
09-10-2013, 07:49 AM
How hard would it be to add RNG seed as an option?
My thought: If we could specify an RNG seed, such that for a given set of game options, a given version of the game, and a given seed, you would always get the same galaxy, we could have PvE tournaments of some sort. It would also make reproducing bugs easier, perhaps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2013, 01:59 AM
RE: How hard would it be to add RNG seed as an option?
I forgot to answer this question; such a thing would not be hard to do. The question for me is there enough demand for this feature?
09-16-2013, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 12:00 PM by draske.)
+1

I think this would be helpful immediately after updates or to test out new strategies. There would, however, need to be enough seeds that the game will probably be different every time if you don't want to play on the same map over and over.
09-25-2013, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 12:17 PM by edbrannin.)
(09-16-2013 11:58 AM)draske Wrote:  I think this would be helpful immediately after updates or to test out new strategies. There would, however, need to be enough seeds that the game will probably be different every time if you don't want to play on the same map over and over.

Programmer here: "Enough seeds" wouldn't really ever be an issue. I mean, have you noticed any issues with same-map repeats yet? Rocco's probably seeding the RNG based on the number of seconds since 1970 began, and that number just keeps going up.

I like how Minecraft does its custom seed input: enter any arbitrary string, then it gets hashed and used to seed the RNG. I always thought it had to be a number until I started seeing people share map seeds like "Gallifrey" and "Your Mom".