Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Increase Starting Trait Points?
09-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Increase Starting Trait Points?
We've just started a couple of beta games where people were able to choose more points, and I have to say, it was fun having that option.

Many have lamented the lack of good negative traits to take.

Looking at an unlimited build, there are 65 total points you can take (if I looked at it correctly). You only get 10.

And some are too good to pass up. So really, you don't get 10. Sure, with negative traits, you can get more, but everyone already does that.

What if you started with 20 instead as the base? Might be worth trying.

I am guessing you'd get zero complaints about having more traits to choose from. I think it would speed the game up a bit; the changes to research have been fabulous, I think, but they have slowed the pace a bit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2013, 04:13 AM
RE: Increase Starting Trait Points?
(09-21-2013 12:09 AM)Diebo Wrote:  We've just started a couple of beta games where people were able to choose more points, and I have to say, it was fun having that option.

Many have lamented the lack of good negative traits to take.

Looking at an unlimited build, there are 65 total points you can take (if I looked at it correctly). You only get 10.

And some are too good to pass up. So really, you don't get 10. Sure, with negative traits, you can get more, but everyone already does that.

What if you started with 20 instead as the base? Might be worth trying.

I am guessing you'd get zero complaints about having more traits to choose from. I think it would speed the game up a bit; the changes to research have been fabulous, I think, but they have slowed the pace a bit.

I would say if the number of starting points were to be increased, try 15 first before jumping straight to 20. In said beta games, I ended up with 17 points used total, and had most everything I wanted. Sure, there's other stuff that would be nice to hvae, but if you boost the points too high you'll start running into much easier ability to get builds of all positive traits and not having to take a bunch of negative traits if you want more bonuses.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
09-21-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm unlikely to just boost the default starting points. We've spent 2+ years getting everything balanced around 10 pts, this would be like chucking the whole thing in the trash. Like the rest of the game, racial picks should be about tough choices.

If the whole game has become unacceptably slow ( not convinced of this ), there are other things we can do.
09-21-2013, 05:04 AM
(09-21-2013 04:18 AM)rocco Wrote:  I'm unlikely to just boost the default starting points. We've spent 2+ years getting everything balanced around 10 pts, this would be like chucking the whole thing in the trash. Like the rest of the game, racial picks should be about tough choices.

If the whole game has become unacceptably slow ( not convinced of this ), there are other things we can do.

Naw, it isn't about speed. I don't see that as a major problem, especially with the nifty new server.

It was about there being 65 trait points out there, but only 20-30 of them get used.

We've talked about this from other angles (weakening some, changing price, making some stronger).

It's ok, the option for unlimited is always there.