Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Larger galaxy size with 200 planets?
09-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Larger galaxy size with 200 planets?
I'm in an 8 player massive ring game and it's quickly starting to feel cramped. There are 15-16 planets per player, or 17-18 if it was a cluster game. That's about the same planets per player as a 2 player small galaxy, which I bet doesn't get much use because it is so small. What about adding an astronomical galaxy size with 200 planets, or 25 per player in an 8 player game? That is in between medium and large in terms if planets/player in a 2 player game. I definitely see the other side of this argument, as a 200 planet galaxy game would take a long time to play, but I don't know if it would make the game THAT much longer since the distance to get to other players won't change that much.

What do others think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2013, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 01:22 AM by Diebo.)
RE: Larger galaxy size with 200 planets?
(09-22-2013 02:10 AM)Skins0815 Wrote:  I'm in an 8 player massive ring game and it's quickly starting to feel cramped. There are 15-16 planets per player, or 17-18 if it was a cluster game. That's about the same planets per player as a 2 player small galaxy, which I bet doesn't get much use because it is so small. What about adding an astronomical galaxy size with 200 planets, or 25 per player in an 8 player game? That is in between medium and large in terms if planets/player in a 2 player game. I definitely see the other side of this argument, as a 200 planet galaxy game would take a long time to play, but I don't know if it would make the game THAT much longer since the distance to get to other players won't change that much.

What do others think?

Yeah, massive just starts with those 200 or whatever stars, and takes a cookie-cutter cut from the "ring" or "spiral" template, leaving you with many fewer stars in the system.

Ideally, there would be a 200-planet ring, a 200-planet spiral, and a 200-planet cluster game possible. But I can imagine that would be a bit of extra programming. I'm all for it, though! Perhaps a Ginormous galaxy, that could also be used for spiral/ring? Maybe with 400 planets before the cookie-cutter cut?

On a side note, I'd love a two-player "bow-tie" cut, which would funnel the attack along a narrow corridor in the middle (defend the gap!), but be full of stars on the edges. It wouldn't probably work for more than 2 or 3 people, though.
09-25-2013, 01:09 AM
RE: Larger galaxy size with 200 planets?
Re-bowtie: With the proper use of wormholes I can see this working for a 2, 4, 6 and even 8 player map. Just have the map be really spread out. The last system in your "quadrant" is farther away than a fleet can travel at maximum distance, but is connected to a central section of stars by a wormhole. Could be lots of fun!

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game