Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Magistrate X suggestion
09-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Magistrate X suggestion
Currently X's "cloaking the system" special makes the system show up as not being colonized, in that the system text is white rather than the color of the player who occupies the system. This is a very cool feature and it totally burned me in a MP game I am playing. However, there are two workarounds that should probably be fixed:

1. The system still factors in to the calculation of the colored squares. A dead giveaway if you put X near enemy territory

2. If you actually click on the system you can still see that the planet is occupied.

Would it be possible to fix those issues? Otherwise it will be too easy to figure out where X is sitting for players who know these tricks.

If it is not possible to fix these issues, I wonder if it is better to go the other way -- X hides the ships but the system would still show as occupied. Then an opposing player could still get fooled by sending a small fleet to get wiped out by your hidden large fleet. But I still think fixing the two issues above would be better, if possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2013, 01:59 AM
RE: Magistrate X suggestion
I'd also say - it's possible to watch the map carefully when X is being bid to see where they go. Not sure there's a convenient fix for that, but I'd prefer the system hid the system X is transiting to randomly sometime between 1 and 5 turns after assignment to keep everyone guessing. Now if you want to screenshot things you need to do it 5 times. Also, X might warn you if you assign them to a planet in observable range of an enemy as the spy master would know that your choice was exposing the hidden colony.
09-27-2013, 03:38 AM
(09-27-2013 01:59 AM)bmike Wrote:  I'd also say - it's possible to watch the map carefully when X is being bid to see where they go. Not sure there's a convenient fix for that, but I'd prefer the system hid the system X is transiting to randomly sometime between 1 and 5 turns after assignment to keep everyone guessing. Now if you want to screenshot things you need to do it 5 times. Also, X might warn you if you assign them to a planet in observable range of an enemy as the spy master would know that your choice was exposing the hidden colony.

You odn't have to screenshot, you can just use the History tab...

Don't know how you would fix that, unless you could retroactively modify the history to hide his planet on all past turns as well...

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
09-27-2013, 04:43 AM
I've never seen this as a problem. I don't remember the last time I actually put X on a planet, because the benefit of knowing the enemy fleet composition usually far exceeds the benefit of hiding a system or fleet from view but risking losing X to assault.

I've placed X on a system far removed from threat to hide a fleet refit though.

And I've seen X used on a no-name system to hide an advancing army. That was pretty cool.

With experienced players though, I get Skins' point, but X is so powerful as it is, I don't mind the current implementation. I don't see a big reason to change it.
09-27-2013, 06:04 AM
(09-27-2013 04:43 AM)Diebo Wrote:  I've never seen this as a problem. I don't remember the last time I actually put X on a planet, because the benefit of knowing the enemy fleet composition usually far exceeds the benefit of hiding a system or fleet from view but risking losing X to assault.

I've placed X on a system far removed from threat to hide a fleet refit though.

And I've seen X used on a no-name system to hide an advancing army. That was pretty cool.

With experienced players though, I get Skins' point, but X is so powerful as it is, I don't mind the current implementation. I don't see a big reason to change it.

Yah, I've never actually used him to try to hide a system from my opponent. He usually ends up on my home system just to have him assigned somewhere. And added benefit of hiding my fleet if I'm massing it there.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion