Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Settings request: Prevent Sleep (or *not*)
09-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Settings request: Prevent Sleep (or *not*)
Sometimes I'll be playing a round of Starbase Orion, put my phone down or in a pocket without hitting the Sleep button, then suddenly:
  • it's 3 hours later
  • My phone is still awake
  • It's warm to the touch
  • ...and my battery is getting pretty low.

Could we maybe have a setting to not ignore the phone's sleep-on-idle configuration?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2013, 02:05 AM
RE: Settings request: Prevent Sleep (or *not*)
I'd love to hear if there is a good reason why the app needs to override this?

Unless gameplay suffers, I'd much rather the game respect the settings I have chosen for the device timeouts.
09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
When you are actually in a game, the app keeps the device from going to sleep. For a strategy game where you might not touch the display for minutes at a time, it helps it be less annoying as the screen dims quite often.

When you are not actually in a game (say, you're on the multiplayer menu screen), the device should sleep as it normally does.
04-16-2014, 10:06 PM
(09-27-2013 11:27 AM)rocco Wrote:  When you are actually in a game, the app keeps the device from going to sleep. For a strategy game where you might not touch the display for minutes at a time, it helps it be less annoying as the screen dims quite often.

I don't know about you, but the only times I ever actively play this game without touching the screen for minutes at a time are (A) watching a battle slowly (B) waiting for auto-turn-advance in a single-player game, and © actively involved in The Space Bar chat (rarely).

On the other hand, here's something that happened yesterday: I played a couple turns in Multiplayer, then put my phone in my pocket mid-turn to do something else.

Several hours later, I remembered to have a look at my phone again. The battery was dead.

If you don't want to make an app-wide change here, I'd *really* appreciate a "Conserve Battery" setting. Other players have commented to me that this game drains battery faster than expected, too.

(09-27-2013 11:27 AM)rocco Wrote:  When you are not actually in a game (say, you're on the multiplayer menu screen), the device should sleep as it normally does.

I haven't tested this today, but I'm not sure this is actually the case. I'll try it again now.
04-17-2014, 10:48 AM
(09-27-2013 11:27 AM)rocco Wrote:  When you are not actually in a game (say, you're on the multiplayer menu screen), the device should sleep as it normally does.

I haven't tested this today, but I'm not sure this is actually the case. I'll try it again now.
[/quote]

Confirmed: Sleep definitely doesn't work on the Multiplayer screen. I drove to work this morning with it in my pocket, and it was still awake when I arrived.
04-17-2014, 11:55 AM
I'll add this to the WP. Thanks.
06-13-2014, 02:03 AM
On the beta - I see "device sleep timer" with on/off. What does this do?
06-13-2014, 02:08 AM
If it is off, then SO acts as it currently does. If it is on (which is the new default), then your device would sleep as it normally does.
06-13-2014, 04:14 AM
Aah - thanks so much for putting it in. It's always tricky to have on/off or even labels on switches. I was going to ask you to change the wording, but I can't think of something that makes it totally clear .

Perhaps change "device sleep timer" to "sleep override"

Then if sleep override is off, the device will sleep. If sleep override is on, the game will prevent device sleep.
06-13-2014, 11:59 PM
(06-13-2014 04:14 AM)bmike Wrote:  Perhaps change "device sleep timer" to "sleep override"

Then if sleep override is off, the device will sleep. If sleep override is on, the game will prevent device sleep.

Perhaps an even better name: "Prevent Sleep"?