Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Siramnes Tournament
11-28-2013, 02:39 PM
RE: Siramnes Tournament
FYI: [/align]I wasn't sure what leader setting to choose so I chose Tourney (the one with leader ban) on the game I started with boring_pilot.

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.
- Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2013, 06:47 PM
(11-28-2013 05:01 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  ROUND 1
Group A
ArlyBRulz vs. boring_Pilot
Group B
Jaydevil2012 vs. Kwito
Group C
Marroweter vs. NewRussian
Group D
Siramnes vs. TheBrownBear
I do appreciate all players. Just the question, how have you sorted pairs?
During last couple of weeks I have record (wins/loss) 25-1. I guess that Marroweter has about the same statistic.
(Others I never met, sure that most of them are great players.)
We both are not interested to lose at the first round, having chances to win the tournament.

Another point is.. if one player is off for months, all other should waight for him? Tournament will never end.

My idea is to have a round robin tournament, not playoff system. Each of us may keep 7 games simultaniously.
We may establish timelimit, for instance 1 month. If any game is not finished within 1 month it is draw.
11-29-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm not in the tournament or the person running it, but a couple of thoughts...

(11-28-2013 06:47 PM)NewRussian Wrote:  I do appreciate all players. Just the question, how have you sorted pairs?
During last couple of weeks I have record (wins/loss) 25-1. I guess that Marroweter has about the same statistic.
We both are not interested to lose at the first round, having chances to win the tournament.

I can't speak to how the pairs were sorted, but as for not wanting to lose in the first round of the tournament and having a chance to win, well, if you're the 2 best players you'll have to play each other regardless at some point. Only one of you can win. Sure, it sucks to lose in the first round, but if you lose to someone at that point, well you probably would have lost to them later anyway.

Quote:Another point is.. if one player is off for months, all other should waight for him? Tournament will never end.

Again, I'm not in charge, but if I was running the tournament, that's what the tourney timer is for. If someone runs out of time and misses X number of turns in a row, the other player would be allowed to claim the victory would probably be my ruling.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
11-29-2013, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 02:26 PM by Siramnes.)
(11-28-2013 06:47 PM)NewRussian Wrote:  
(11-28-2013 05:01 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  ROUND 1
Group A
ArlyBRulz vs. boring_Pilot
Group B
Jaydevil2012 vs. Kwito
Group C
Marroweter vs. NewRussian
Group D
Siramnes vs. TheBrownBear
I do appreciate all players. Just the question, how have you sorted pairs?

The pairings were based on alphabetical order of screen names; there was no way for me to know who the better or more experienced players were. If we do a second tournament we can rank players based on the results of this one.

Another point is.. if one player is off for months, all other should waight for him? Tournament will never end.

You're right; we discussed the pros and cons of tourney vs. casual timer, and it seemed to me people preferred casual, partly because of the holidays, and partly because tourney timer would allow someone to save up weeks worth of turns, then not move for a long time. This is something we could reconsider for a future tournament (see my next post).

My idea is to have a round robin tournament, not playoff system. Each of us may keep 7 games simultaniously.
We may establish timelimit, for instance 1 month. If any game is not finished within 1 month it is draw.

I like the idea of of a round robin tournament for a future tournament, but this one was set up as a single-elimination. I also like the idea of a one-month time limit. I think we can use that idea for this tournament, if nobody objects.

(11-29-2013 06:51 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I'm not in the tournament or the person running it, but a couple of thoughts...

(11-28-2013 06:47 PM)NewRussian Wrote:  I do appreciate all players. Just the question, how have you sorted pairs?

I can't speak to how the pairs were sorted, but as for not wanting to lose in the first round of the tournament and having a chance to win, well, if you're the 2 best players you'll have to play each other regardless at some point. Only one of you can win. Sure, it sucks to lose in the first round, but if you lose to someone at that point, well you probably would have lost to them later anyway.

Quote:Another point is.. if one player is off for months, all other should waight for him? Tournament will never end.

Again, I'm not in charge, but if I was running the tournament, that's what the tourney timer is for. If someone runs out of time and misses X number of turns in a row, the other player would be allowed to claim the victory would probably be my ruling.

Thanks for these, thoughts, Vander. All of them are good ideas for a future tournament.
For those of you who prefer the round robin format, I would like to throw out the following idea:

Many of us have desired a good ranking system for SO for some time now, but setting one up is impractical for several reasons (too easy to game the system, not enough players in the community for randomized matching etc.).

To establish a sort of unofficial, provisional ranking, I thought it could be interesting to have a 10-player "league" set up like a European football league, where all participants play each other once (maybe with a three week match-length limit to make sure things move along quickly). The player with the most victories wins, ties being decided by a 1-on-1 match. The results from the first tournament would give us a ranking to work with.

If we get more than 10 players wanting to participate, we could set up a "B" league. After each season, the rankings would be adjusted, and the bottom two teams from the "A" league would be relegated to the "B" league for the next season. The top two teams from the "B" league would be promoted to the "A" league.

What does everyone think of this?

Founder, the Orion League
11-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Please count me in for any tourney...
12-03-2013, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 05:40 AM by Siramnes.)
RE: Siramnes Tournament (First results are in)
Thebrownbear and Siramnes have finished their first-round match, and Siramnes has won. This is what the winners bracket looks like at the moment:

Round 1
Group A
ArlyB rulz vs. boring_Pilot (in progress)
Group B
Jaydevil2012 vs. Kwito (in progress)
Group C
Marroweter vs. NewRussian (in progress)
Group D
Siramnes vs. TheBrownBear (Siramnes won)

Round 2 (winners)
Match E
Winner of Group A vs. winner of Group B
Match F
Winner of Group C vs. Siramnes

We can do a losers bracket too if people want to. Let me know.
So far I've got the following participants for a second tournament:

Blutrane
Emp
Donkadoo

Reply to the thread if you want to be added to this list. I'm looking for 8.

12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
I up for the next tourney.
12-06-2013, 04:24 AM
I'm down for a tourney
12-09-2013, 05:45 AM
NewRussian occasionally won
12-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Latest tournament update:

Round 1
Group A
ArlyB rulz vs. boring_Pilot (in progress)
Group B
Jaydevil2012 vs. Kwito (in progress)
Group C
Marroweter vs. NewRussian (in progress)
Group D
Siramnes vs. TheBrownBear (Siramnes won)

Round 2 (winners)
Match E
Winner of Group A vs. winner of Group B
Match F
NewRussian vs. Siramnes