Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Interstellar Empires (Large scale Empire RP)
12-19-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2013 04:38 AM by Spifomie.)
Interstellar Empires (Large scale Empire RP)
Greetings! I'm a new player to the online scene of starbase orion (and the game in general). However I heard of a few large scale games taking place, and the idea of roleplaying as leaders of these interstellar empires and engaging in acts of politics and diplomacy sounds like grand fun to me.

I have considerable experience in the RP scene, and am quite fond of strategy games.

If anyone would be interested, please reply. I'm thinking of keeping his pretty nice and casual rules wise, as the focus is more on the diplomacy and RP aspect rather than warfare itself. I'll copy off of JesterEric's thread and see if people want to put the rules being used to a vote, though I do feel strongly that the Casual timer should be used.

The more dynamic leaders/empires players create with flaws and boons and all that jazz, the more fun this RP will be for all.

I'm quite new to the play-by-post scene however, so I'm unsure if it would be beneficial or not to lay down a structure of "diplomacy", even if its quite vague and basic, and really more a set of recommendations. I'd like some advice on the matter (and to put to a vote possibly?). All of the following are entirely "just ideas" and in no way, shape, or form do I intend to press them should they be disliked.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

-First post, describe leader and empire in detail

-Primary posts should be done through the leaders perspective, in whatever form that may take. Secondary side-stories can be done through the perspective of his vassals/agents, to grant a more personalized view of events. Please make clear what character your using in your post, either by stating directly or other method.

-you may only engage in talking/speaking with empires that you have had first contact with, unless a suitable exception arrives (such as two scout ships meeting at the same system).

-Diplomatic endeavors should be roleplayed as a meeting between leaders

-Secret communications can be done through private message.

-To make things more interesting, another player can attempt to "intercept" those messages. On every stolen piece of intel, x player has to give up a message/letter. (Merely a idea, unsure if solid)

-Leaders may post as often or as little as they like. However its good practice to respond to other leaders hails/requests/demands in a timely fashion in order to better spur RP, as well as engaging on the wide-scale political scene once we arrive at that stage. The more you post, the more you'll be engaged in the purpose of the game. To have fun RP'ing as leaders and adding a political side to the Starbase Orion Experience.

-Combat without reason is boring! Think like your Empire/leader does. If your empire/leader does have a reason to attack that may or may not be clear, write up a fluffy post for the rest to see and give a chance for intrigue/negotiations/understanding.

-Gifts and other things of substance (Technology, credits, letter of tribute, what have you) must be transported to the giftee through "Merchant vessels". These are unarmed vessels of at least cruiser size that must start on a world that the gifter owns, and end above a world of the giftee. To give a chance for pirates and other players to "intercept" the gift, they must make at LEAST one stop above another world along the path (unowned if possible), and additional stop for every (X) parcecs travelled beyond (X) parsecs (im thinking 5 at the moment. This would mean that essentially, after the minimum one stop under 5 parsecs, you would have to make another stop. So 6 parsecs would mean a 2 stop journey).
This is a rule that needs to be self-monitored of course. But since were all here to roleplay and not to win, it shouldn't be a problem should we choose to impliment it.

Goal is getting 5-8 players together who are willing to RP out the dynamic leader/s of their empire for what would probably be a long-lasting game. I will update this post with the players (and empire names) as they come and go.

CURRENT EMPIRES:
Format: (Empire)(Leader/Government)(Race)

Spifomie (The Imperium)(Emperor Gustav)(Human)
JonasMalic (Bio pending)(Bio Pending)(Bio Pending)
Troy (First Reich)(Constable Franco)(Human)
Eden (Bio Pending)(Bio pending)(Bio Pending)
Astari (A.G.E.D)(Sage Azoru)(Draske)
Commissar Jenkins (Bio pending)(Bio Pending)(Bio Pending)
Zachary (Bio pending)(Bio Pending)(Bio pending)
SLOT OPEN

UPDATE:
1 Spot left! Also remember: Please make a bio of both your faction AND your current leader/leaders!
If you have a council, parliment, or other multi-individual leadership, write up some of the important figures. A company run government might write up the names and a little info on the big megacorps. A parliment might write up the party leaders. So on and so forth.

UPDATED THOUGHTS ON RULES AND SETTINGS FOR THE GAME:
Casual time
Race normal
Normal costs
Tourney leaders (1 vote) (Personally I'm thinking leaders off, but thats just my thoughts)

Size Massive (Shouldn't be any complaints here)
Galaxy type: Cluster (Again, I'm not seeing any problems here)
Galaxy age: Young (1 vote) (Might be a little debate here. I'm personally feeling normal, but thats merely because thats what I've always done)

Early Empire (1 vote)(Might be a little debate here. I agree with troy's reasoning, but I do foresee early empire taking ages to get to actual RP)

Monsters: on
Wormholes: On
No AI (wont be any space for them!)

RP RULES:
1 vote everything but Intel interception
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2013, 09:36 AM
RE: Interstellar Empires (Large scale Empire RP)
I'm down
12-20-2013, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 10:19 AM by Troy TB34.)
Hi, sorry I didn't get a chance too respond in the chat-busy person.

First-I'd recommend 24 hour time (is that casual?) We had JesterEric disappear a few weeks in and never resurface (Still haven't seen him!!!)

Massive galaxy for sure Smile even then colonial pickings are competitive

I believe we've always gone young galaxy...adds more terrans too the playing field

Early empire, Normal Race, No AI, Wormholes On, Monsters On, Normal Costs, Leaders Tourney

And those are my votes Smile

I'd pass on the intel interception...cool idea, but it can't be enforced....whose too stop someone from making a message up

Otherwise Great rules (we never officially adopted the contact range limit for chat but I know I always followed it)

As for war without reason....lol well....lets just say we had our share of warmongering...we just always try not too eliminate another player

Bio/ Leader coming in a bit, also too remind people, in game chat can also be used too post Empire News, one empire has had two Coups in one week....@Spif- also look at Convention of Tarazed by Eden if you want another example, that was the latest one we started (An alliance including me and 3 others knocked out Eden's alliance of two when Jester disappeared throwing off the balance of power)

One empire in our current RP (Edens that is) has had two coups in one week*

"We're not retreating, we're simply advancing in another direction!" - Oliver P. Smith

Game Center: Troy tbUSA
12-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Also...in case you were wondering, once we get a foot theirs no real need for using the forum post, we carryed out our everyday actions in chat

Can't promise ill be real active, as I have a lot going on, but I'll try too keep up

...still thinking of a bio lol used my creativity on the last two Rp's

"We're not retreating, we're simply advancing in another direction!" - Oliver P. Smith

12-21-2013, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2013 07:13 AM by Spifomie.)
(12-20-2013 10:18 AM)Troy TB34 Wrote:  Hi, sorry I didn't get a chance too respond in the chat-busy person.

First-I'd recommend 24 hour time (is that casual?) We had JesterEric disappear a few weeks in and never resurface (Still haven't seen him!!!)

Massive galaxy for sure Smile even then colonial pickings are competitive

I believe we've always gone young galaxy...adds more terrans too the playing field

Early empire, Normal Race, No AI, Wormholes On, Monsters On, Normal Costs, Leaders Tourney

And those are my votes Smile

I'd pass on the intel interception...cool idea, but it can't be enforced....whose too stop someone from making a message up

Otherwise Great rules (we never officially adopted the contact range limit for chat but I know I always followed it)

As for war without reason....lol well....lets just say we had our share of warmongering...we just always try not too eliminate another player

Bio/ Leader coming in a bit, also too remind people, in game chat can also be used too post Empire News, one empire has had two Coups in one week....@Spif- also look at Convention of Tarazed by Eden if you want another example, that was the latest one we started (An alliance including me and 3 others knocked out Eden's alliance of two when Jester disappeared throwing off the balance of power)

One empire in our current RP (Edens that is) has had two coups in one week*

Hmmm. Why early empire? It seems like half the game would be spent doing the extremely slow early game instead of doing normal or advanced and getting to the good part of diplomacy earlier?

I see your point on the intel interception, and unless we get overwhelming votes for it, I'll drop it.

Heh, seems like a interesting game Smile

I'll look foward to your empire/leader post! Now needing 2 more players minimum.

(12-20-2013 12:34 PM)Troy TB34 Wrote:  Also...in case you were wondering, once we get a foot theirs no real need for using the forum post, we carryed out our everyday actions in chat

Can't promise ill be real active, as I have a lot going on, but I'll try too keep up

...still thinking of a bio lol used my creativity on the last two Rp's

Hmmm. I kind of see it for negotiations and the like. But I know for one that I'll want to do paragraph or 3 long story posts, or simply descriptions of a event/leader, and that would be a pain to type in the chatlog (and to disappear later).

So I'll be encouraging the dedicated RP'rs to be checking out the forum every once in awhile. I do agree that the chat log will be superior for more fast-paced conversation and the like, but for recordkeeping and funsies I'll be copying the chat log into forum posts whenever I'm able.

Heh. Well anything goes, so you got a lot of room to work with! I'll probably be trying to type up some sort of industrial human empire (because I'm a sucker for such things)
(12-20-2013 09:36 AM)JonasMalic Wrote:  I'm down

Excellent! When you can write up a leader/empire.

Still need 2 more people minimum!
12-21-2013, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2013 08:46 AM by Troy TB34.)
Ya...we really needs too use the forums for our court proceedings but bobody but the main meditator and the two disputing parties wanted too check the forums...so we managed with chat...lol I see the forums as for big announcements and stuf that shouldn't disappear like treaties...else news and trivial stuff shud stay in chat.

We went early empire as too further customize our races...tech is more important as a trade item. Plus it really affected circumstances making us compete for planets in order too maintain the economy. And as some would miss on vital early tech, we'd all have too use it as a type of currency or bartering item. We've actually gotten too high weapons tech quicker than in the average late empire game (lol bet the World War that's still raging had something too do with it...it's like a Cold War that gets hot every year) The early empire simulates us just reaching space fairing levels for the first time...or again (Like my empire in the last one was made up of the survivors of a betrayed Confederation fleet who had set up a revolutionary base on a system...takes awhile for civilization too be at the point too expand...in the first RP my system had just declared independence from the Confederation and this had no naval vessels yet)

Lol I know I'll be hybrid (mix of research/production) human...always am...I just need a backstory I like for this one...and a cool name...that's the best part lol
Lol still never changes my "title" on the forums...I Had expected that first RP too last longer than one war....but Matteus rose as the sole superpower and a fleet capable of taking on an empire 100x the size of all o us combined...it was quite impressive
I hope you don't mind I advertised for you a little bit in "Convention of Tarazed"(game chat not the forum thread), you should get more than enough people

12-21-2013, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2013 09:45 AM by Spifomie.)
(12-21-2013 08:30 AM)Troy TB34 Wrote:  Ya...we really needs too use the forums for our court proceedings but bobody but the main meditator and the two disputing parties wanted too check the forums...so we managed with chat...lol I see the forums as for big announcements and stuf that shouldn't disappear like treaties...else news and trivial stuff shud stay in chat.

We went early empire as too further customize our races...tech is more important as a trade item. Plus it really affected circumstances making us compete for planets in order too maintain the economy. And as some would miss on vital early tech, we'd all have too use it as a type of currency or bartering item. We've actually gotten too high weapons tech quicker than in the average late empire game (lol bet the World War that's still raging had something too do with it...it's like a Cold War that gets hot every year) The early empire simulates us just reaching space fairing levels for the first time...or again (Like my empire in the last one was made up of the survivors of a betrayed Confederation fleet who had set up a revolutionary base on a system...takes awhile for civilization too be at the point too expand...in the first RP my system had just declared independence from the Confederation and this had no naval vessels yet)

Lol I know I'll be hybrid (mix of research/production) human...always am...I just need a backstory I like for this one...and a cool name...that's the best part lol
Lol still never changes my "title" on the forums...I Had expected that first RP too last longer than one war....but Matteus rose as the sole superpower and a fleet capable of taking on an empire 100x the size of all o us combined...it was quite impressive
I hope you don't mind I advertised for you a little bit in "Convention of Tarazed"(game chat not the forum thread), you should get more than enough people

Not at all! Thanks very much!

I can see the logic behind the early empire now. Thank you.

I disagree a bit on the forums only being used for big announcements. I don't think I'll ask to enforce any rules on the matter, but being a forgetful person I like to take notes and re-read over things. Trivial matters simply disappear entirely for me. Being posted on the forum means that its solid history in everyones minds. Sometimes, its the small stories that are the important ones (a tried and true method of literature and movies). So I don't want to discourage it, but at the same time I realize its not everyones cup of tea, so I'll just merely encourage to check up on the forums every once in awhile.

However, so that people who JUST want the important stuff won't have to read through logs and "less important" stuff, I'll set up a separate thread for "minor" events". I believe that should be a effective compromise. Those who enjoy that sort of thing has a separate thread of their own.
This is the basic idea i'm working off of. Subject to change.

If anyone wants to claim the "unknown fleet" as their own factions (or related to them), feel free.

The Imperium

Formation:
50 years ago, the Imperium stretched its influence over a hundred worlds in the Inner Core. The capitol Gloria was the heart of the empire, to which every citizen looked to in pride. The people of the Imperium were intensely nationalistic, for it was every citizens duty to make the Imperium a home to be proud of. The Imperium had stood in its full glory for three centuries.

However, at their prime they had grown lax. The people were fed well, the Navy stopped spending funds on research and development, for they were the strongest in the sector. It was a golden age of stagnation, until the Slaughter.

On the outer reaches, a unknown fleet was spotted by the outposts of the Imperial Navy. Contact was lost with the outer colonies at a astonishing rate. unable to comprehend the true terror of the enemy, the Emperor, Silvanus the Third, sent a entire 20 battlegroups (1/3 of the entire navy) to deal with the problem. Hundreds of ships sent out to defeat the enemy and return with glory. Instead, they met their doom.

Massive lumbering ships tore through the Imperial ships with infernos of plasma and impossibly fast projectiles. The Imperial retalliation fell upon energy barriers that deflected their shots. Within a week, 19 battlegroups was lost. The slaughter of Yith prime was the worst defeat in the entirety of the Imperiums history. Reports say they only managed to take down 2 ships out of 50 in total.

With its army crippled, and clearly outmatched, the Emperor began to make hasty plans. However, with the horrifying reports reaching every corner of the Imperium, factions began to splinter off. Rebellions, riots, coups, mass genocide by incompetent generals tore down the Imperium within a year. These mass rebellions and mistakes will be forever mentioned in hatred and regret, as many believed if they stood with the Flag, the Imperium could have fought back against the Enemy.

The remainder of the battlegroups regrouped at Gloria and began to prepare to make a last stand.

In secret, Emperor Silvanus the Third made preperations for a colony fleet to be established. When the enemy behemoths reached Gloria, and the battle was clearly going to be lost, he sent his son Gustav into the massive Arc-class colony ship "Exiled Hope" and with the survivors of the 41st "Iron Shields" Battlegroup to the stars. Their destination was on the very outside of the Outer Reaches, where they believed to be a suitable world waiting for them.

45 years later was formed the colony ____ (will fill when I learn in-game). The survivors of the Imperium, a proportional mix between Nobility, Middle Class, and Commoners. Many of the battlegroup perished along the harsh journey in order to ensure the safety of the colony ship. Of the battleships that did survive, all were scrapped for materials to build habitats upon the new worlds. The 22 year old Gustav has proved himself to have a talent for inspiring the people. Though they stand few, each and every man, woman, and child, regardless of social stature has a burning desire to reclaim their homeland, their pride, and Gloria. With that, the entire society is bent on exploiting every device available to them. Gone is the advanced robotics technology of Gloria, replaced with the clamoring of factories and the cold grinding of steel and metal.

Under the leadership of Gustav the First, the people of the Imperium will stop at nothing to regain what is theirs by birthright.

Culture and Society:

The Imperium is a goal orientated society. The people care little for their own personal well being. Instead, they rejoice to accomplish common goals together for the good of the Imperium. To encourage this behavior, members of the nobility and the government are in charge of mass propaganda campaigns to inspire the laborers to even greater productivity.

A mans worth is weighed in output. The more you produce, the more you are paid, the more you are respected, the more you are able to climb the social ladder. A freeloader is the worst insult you can a person in the Imperium. When a citizen isn't working, its a common hobby to "Tinker". Think about how to improve the product line, how to speed up production, how to build a superior coffee cup. For those that are able to "sell" these inventions to their superiors, they often get a instant raise in lifestyle for a number of years proportional to the usefulness of the invention. Everyone past the age of 10 is socially required to work in some form. To not work is akin to social suicide, guaranteeing your place as a "freeloading scumbag", and likely lead to your eventual arrest upon trumped up charges.

Though there is clear differences in lifestyle between the upper and lower classes, one should not mistake it for social stagnation. Due to wages being determined by productivity and ones usefulness to society, even the Nobility are hard-working individuals. Often times they are in management positions over sectors of factories and land, so its a matter of pride to declare of their output in tons, price, what-have you.

This goal-orientated thinking leads to a affinity with technology. Its a common viewpoint in the Imperium that technology is capable, if not required, to push the bounds of human productivity. Thus, to advance technology is to advance the Grand Conquest a step forward, and to bring glory to the Imperium. The researchers and tinkerers of the Imperium are commonly thought to be highly progressive individuals when it comes to these matters, though whether it is actual intelligence or merely inhuman determination, none can say.

Of course, with such a focus on industrial endeavors, their food product is lacking to say the least. Many individuals have resorted to calling their packaged products "sustenance", as it is often tasteless and unenjoyable, though packed with nutrients. However, food is a necessary thing in order to keep the human machine turning.

Crime is dealt with harshly in the society, for there is no such thing as a prison. Why should they be able to freeload after a crime? Thus, punishment is dealt in years of hard labor or death by incineration. For even a mans body can be used to power the fires of Industry. Common crimes such as murder, theft, etc. are highly rare, usually only done by freeloaders that have no where else to turn and are too ashamed to admit their own status. Corruption is more common a crime, for every citizen wants their own name to be a respected name in the history books, in the pursuit of restoring the Imperium. Glory on the pursuit towards Gloria. However, such a practice is limited almost entirely to the Nobility, for the commoners and middle class have no time to spare from their industrial pursuits.

Due to the intense nationalistic views of the populace, the citizens of the Imperium are often disliked as a whole by other civilizations. They have little to talk about beyond the own glory of the Imperium and their work. Any insult to the Imperium, the emperor, or calling them a freeloader will be harshly taken and usually results in a duel, fight, or murder depending on the social class of the individual. However, from a trade perspective, they are known for being highly reliable (though very stingy).

Gustav is akin to a father figure to the Citizens. He watches over his colonies from his Flagship, and is never afraid to get his hands dirty in assisting matters of the Grand Conquest. Devoted to his work, a father to the people, and a symbol of unity, Emperor Gustav is the image of a successful monarch.

Government structure:
Monarchy,
Current Emperor: Gustav

The Imperium has always been run by Patrivach family since the dawn of its creation. For the most part, the Emperors have held together the Imperium quite successfully.

Known for:
A society focused on productivity, Nationalism, A strong and fast-reacting government, Inhuman and suicidal determination to their goal.
Will be updating with Leader information (gustav) later on.
12-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm in. Bio coming up.
12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
(12-21-2013 10:17 AM)Eden Wrote:  I'm in. Bio coming up.

Awesome.
12-22-2013, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2013 07:08 AM by Troy TB34.)
Oh shoot...my arch RP enemey...the Great Edenchen of Declaring War on Troy lol Tongue It's not an RP without an Eden.

I like the compromise... Big Grin

Here comes my Bio
For over 50 years the Imperium stretched its influence, 50 years too long. Over its conquest, the Imperium fleet conquered many a world. Some of these worlds were very well treated, others who constantly revolted against the Emperor's occupation earned the wrath of the Imperium. On the fringes of the Imperium empire, the world of ________ never had a strong enough garrison too contain these rebellions. Soon a military mastermind rose too power in the rebel forces. He successfully defeated the Imperioun Imperialists who had oppressed his planet. The ruler, known too his people as Der Constablé Franco , declared his empire the The First Reich of __________, and set about pairing the galaxy's way for humanity, the master of all races. The people created an Imperial Navy too defend their borders from an Imperium Counter-attack, surprisingly, a counter invasion never came.

The people of the First Reich live nationalist lives dedicated too their country and enjoy an excellent human rights record, key word being human. All other races are contained in labour camps or executed by firing squad. The government is totalitarian with a new leader being elected at the end of the former leaders life. Our economy is Capitalist. With a strong militaristic and imperialist passion, the First Reich plans too rule the galaxy, whether directly or through influence.

Franco is well liked by his people and praises throughout the galaxy for having turned around a poor colony, turning it into a marvel of stability and prosperity. The Citizens of the Firts Reich owe their allegiance too him and too him alone. Any challenge of his leadership results in swift disappearance. The people assume the person ran away rather then too be accused of slandering their leader. The Secret Service knows otherwise.

With a tendency to resort too force early, the First Reich has earned the hate of many other empires, especially non-human races, only fueling their drive too overthrow their "oppressors".

Known for: A imperialistic and militaristic society with goals of domination. A hybrid of research and productivity allows for swift growth in their drive too cement humanity as the "master race". While disliked by many, the grand Imperial Navy provides much influence over smaller empires.

Government Structure: Totalitarian Dictatorship
Current Constablé: Franco
Economy: Capitalist
Current Capitol:
Race: Human
Racial: Prodcution/Research Mix
People:

I think it would be cool if you had too send ships labeled "Merchant" without any weapons too transfer resources and tech, then we could have pirates and privateers.....though Just like intercepting messages, I don't know how it could be implemented.
Lol I think the the Second Battle of Rigel between me and my allies vs Eden's empire drowned out my advertisement of this game in our RP....haha at least Eden saw it.