Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Lightbulb Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
Greetings, Rocco and starbasians
I hope I'll be forgiven for this small act of suggestion necromancy and indirect bumping Wink , but I took up Starbase Orion again just two days ago, and was reminded of one of the very few things I still miss in one of my favourite iOS titles.

That something would be contiguous async, allowing players to remain in-game after submitting a turn, essentially allowing us to experience Starbase Orion as an ongoing, real-time turn-based multiplayer experience, instead of being locked into the async format. At the same time, this mechanic does not detract from the convenience of async, as players are free to drop out at any time, whereupon normal async mechanics kick in.

Ideally, while we wait for other players to finish their turns, we would have the same freedom as in Civ IV, where we can still make changes to production queues, military orders and population allocation, and where those changes take effect as soon as we submit our next turn.

An ideal companion to contiguous async would be a button/menu alternative that alerts us and allows us to jump directly to active turns in other SO games.

I also imagine that this mechanic would be a very nice companion to the continuous async already implemented in Starbase Orion.

(This mechanic has become a standard in async titles for iOS, and I must say that it makes quite a difference on those occasions when you truly want to focus on one match, and remain in-game waiting eagerly for your opponent to finish his turn. For examples of async titles that use contiguous async to a great effect, look to Carcassonne and Playdek's Nightfall, Ascension, Summoner Wars and Lords of Waterdeep.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: Contiguous asynchronous multiplayer
And after this, can I have it as a retinal implant so it can be SO all the time? Smile

GC: Elph -=- GC Sandbox: Elph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply