Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v0.9 General Feedback
02-13-2014, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 05:03 AM by bmike.)
RE: v0.9 General Feedback
I love the idea of the set number of games getting filled.

It might be good to throttle it or limit - who wants to start a new game with someone who is asleep or away for the weekend. Perhaps some indication that the opponent hasn't seen the invite yet (or played any turns since the invite was sent) would help people to cancel that game and open another slot?

The name changes and watches and such are just to appeal to hard core naval enthusiasts. They will likely find the existing names out of character / non naval.

The wardroom refers more to the people than the room. "Gather the wardroom" means get the officers together - whether you're on shore, on deck, in the captain's cabin, etc.... In modern naval parlance, the only room that is a cabin is the captain's cabin - a small room near to the bridge/CIC as appropriate. The rest of the officer rooms are staterooms - no matter how small or cramped.

Same with scuttlebutt - sailors ask, what's the scuttlebutt (to mean what's happening - what are people talking about). Again, this would make it somewhat geared to modern sailors and might not be 100% accurate for the period.

I'm not saying the names are so bad they need to change - just wanted to put out some alternatives since they struck me as "cruise ship" nautical as opposed to man of war nautical.
Also - the damage inflicted table at the end of the game doesn't show damage made on the side that made it for captured ships (our 4 ship battle ROC today is a good example)

How hard would it be to split a captured ship to show what it did for each side? I presume you could just track before and after one split if that simplified the code...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2014, 05:22 AM
In viewing the replays (haven't yet actually played), it is unclear which side played a given card. Maybe outlining with the team color...
Also, on the zoom-out chart map view, the colors of the ship markers by team are TOO muted.
02-13-2014, 05:23 AM
As far as changing the names of the "rooms", I think they're ok for now. There needs to be a balance between whats acceptable for an "old salt" and what recognizable for an aspiring "land-lubber". The Captain's "Cabin" is replete throughout naval and piratical literature, so I think its a good enough name for your "profile". The "Galley" is debatable, as in the once sense you the Captain (who goes to his "cabin") so you won't go to the "Galley" to fraternize. But I have the feeling all of the land-lubbers who pick up the game won't know a "wardroom" from a closet. The name for the chat room (arguably one of the more important places we want players to go), needs to be easily recognizable as such.

I do kinda like the idea about calling off the watching in the chat room. I'm going to keep in on the back burner for now.
02-13-2014, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 03:19 PM by VanderLegion.)
Posted this in the Galley, but adding here for posterity: the auto-matching should check if you already have a 1v1 game going with a given player and not match you with more when you do. If people want to have more than one game going against the same person, they can do custom games for additional. Otherwise, you run into the situation that just happened where I turned it on and got matched in 3 games against rocco because no one else has activated it yet...
Another thing I've thought about: it would be nice if you could see how many points will make up your fleet BEFORE picking your cards, instead of after. Generally if there's a lot of points for a big fleet I'll take more fleet cards, while with a smaller fleet I may do more ship cards.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
02-13-2014, 03:44 PM
(02-13-2014 03:17 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Posted this in the Galley, but adding here for posterity: the auto-matching should check if you already have a 1v1 game going with a given player and not match you with more when you do. If people want to have more than one game going against the same person, they can do custom games for additional. Otherwise, you run into the situation that just happened where I turned it on and got matched in 3 games against rocco because no one else has activated it yet...

I think this will be a self-correcting problem, once we have more people. But if it becomes a problem, will look into it.

(02-13-2014 03:17 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Another thing I've thought about: it would be nice if you could see how many points will make up your fleet BEFORE picking your cards, instead of after. Generally if there's a lot of points for a big fleet I'll take more fleet cards, while with a smaller fleet I may do more ship cards.

It's in there now on the mission screen, sirius asked for it a couple patches ago Smile
02-13-2014, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 03:55 PM by VanderLegion.)
(02-13-2014 03:44 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 03:17 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Posted this in the Galley, but adding here for posterity: the auto-matching should check if you already have a 1v1 game going with a given player and not match you with more when you do. If people want to have more than one game going against the same person, they can do custom games for additional. Otherwise, you run into the situation that just happened where I turned it on and got matched in 3 games against rocco because no one else has activated it yet...

I think this will be a self-correcting problem, once we have more people. But if it becomes a problem, will look into it.

That may be. I could see it being an issue when it's first released. First 2 people to sign up get a buncha matches together, then the next 2, etc...

Does it only match 1v1 games right now or can it randomly grab 3 people and do devil's triangle, or 4 or 6 and do a battle royale?

Quote:
(02-13-2014 03:17 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Another thing I've thought about: it would be nice if you could see how many points will make up your fleet BEFORE picking your cards, instead of after. Generally if there's a lot of points for a big fleet I'll take more fleet cards, while with a smaller fleet I may do more ship cards.

It's in there now on the mission screen, sirius asked for it a couple patches ago Smile

Huh, didn't know that. I see it now. Just small text...(no smaller than the rest of course, just didn't jump out at me that it was there...)
I suppose another possibility for the matchmaking (that would help at first release if nothing else) would be for it to not match you for all possible games immediately if you have multiple to join. Maybe it waits a half hour or something after matching you to a game before matching you for another one. That gives more time for other people to get into the queue and match up with various opponents.

I know I've had issues with this in my own game, the last like 5 games I've gotten from auto-matching have been against the same guy cause he'll just start up a bunch of auto-match games at once waiting for opponents, so I'll be trying to get some more opponents and just keep getting more games matched against him. Ship game should have a lot larger pool of players though, so that should help...

02-13-2014, 04:28 PM
I know I've had issues with this in my own game, the last like 5 games I've gotten from auto-matching have been against the same guy cause he'll just start up a bunch of auto-match games at once waiting for opponents

Unlike GameCenter, I pull a random person from the waiting list when I match. So long as there are more people waiting, it is likely that you won't be matched with him all 5 times.

Does it only match 1v1 games right now or can it randomly grab 3 people and do devil's triangle, or 4 or 6 and do a battle royale?

It does not, but it would be simple enough to add. Do we think it should?

I suppose another possibility for the matchmaking (that would help at first release if nothing else) would be for it to not match you for all possible games immediately if you have multiple to join.

Tweaking the timing on when it looks for matches is definitely on the TODO. Right now it checks every minute, I will likely bump that up next patch.
02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
(02-13-2014 04:28 PM)rocco Wrote:  Does it only match 1v1 games right now or can it randomly grab 3 people and do devil's triangle, or 4 or 6 and do a battle royale?

It does not, but it would be simple enough to add. Do we think it should?

I think it'd be fun. other people might disagree. This one would probably need to be an option if you wanted to allow it or not...

02-13-2014, 04:48 PM
(02-13-2014 04:36 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I think it'd be fun. other people might disagree. This one would probably need to be an option if you wanted to allow it or not...

Meh, on second thought I think it'd be fine to open it up. We have the whole Captain's Arena for dedicated 1v1 matches.
02-14-2014, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 01:01 AM by Diebo.)
(02-13-2014 04:48 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 04:36 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I think it'd be fun. other people might disagree. This one would probably need to be an option if you wanted to allow it or not...

Meh, on second thought I think it'd be fine to open it up. We have the whole Captain's Arena for dedicated 1v1 matches.

I would actually discourages more than 1v1 in random. I tried, and never completed, a single MP game in SBO with random matches. With 1v1, you have a much higher chance of actually getting a game moving. It is easy enough to get a 3+ player game going in chat, if that is what you are looking for.

Another thought: Unlike SBO, where there are so many different decisions and options for you (and the AI) to make, I think it would be worth considering having the AI take over skipped turns. I'd rather have that than no movement/firing whatsoever. Maybe turn off captain's cards for the AI. Maybe have it as a setting (default on, but can turn off).
I just wanted to mention now that I am thinking about it that my phone has been significantly less hot and battery power extended greatly by the new option settings. I have been playing on low-everything and it still looks great to me, but I did grow up an 8-bit child so am easy to please. Good job!