Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Orion League: Executive Council
02-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Orion League: Executive Council
To all current and future members of the Orion League:

As we move into season two, the league is beginning to become bigger and more complex. There are also many good ideas out there regarding changes we should make to improve the league. When I started the league my hope was that it would become something that belongs to the entire SO community, rather than just me. In order to move towards greater community involvement and better manage the growing complexity, I propose we create an executive council.

Here are the principles of what I have in mind:

Purpose: To decide on league-related matters such as rules, membership, promotion, etc. The Executive Committee should review and consider input from the SO community before voting.

Decision-making mechanism: majority vote (if I am one of the 6 on the council, I will abstain from voting)

Membership: The top two finishers from the previous season in each division. For season two, this would be the following players - Anthee, New Russian, E45 Y, Jonas Malic, Emuqum, and Siramnes (non-voting, unless there is a tie for some reason).

In my opinion, this Executive Committee would help ensure that more viewpoints are involved in the decision-making process, while remaining small enough to be efficient.

What do you all think about this idea?

Founder, the Orion League
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: Orion League: Executive Council
Ok, EC members, we have our first order of business. Pushokov, whom many of you have faced off against, is petitioning to go straight into Jupiter division. Pushokov is widely known and highly respected as a skilled player, but it can also be argued that he should have to play his way up to Jupiter Division. FYI, Pushokov played briefly in Saturn Division in Season 1 but resigned from the league after a few games. Please discuss this for a few days and post your vote here by Tuesday at midnight. Anyone, even non-EC members, are free to post opinions.

02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I would have a really hard time approving this. For me, he chose to withdraw, and, should fight his way up the same as anyone else. But I am a rule person, a rule is a rule.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
02-10-2014, 06:11 PM
(02-10-2014 07:34 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  Ok, EC members, we have our first order of business. Pushokov, whom many of you have faced off against, is petitioning to go straight into Jupiter division. Pushokov is widely known and highly respected as a skilled player, but it can also be argued that he should have to play his way up to Jupiter Division. FYI, Pushokov played briefly in Saturn Division in Season 1 but resigned from the league after a few games. Please discuss this for a few days and post your vote here by Tuesday at midnight. Anyone, even non-EC members, are free to post opinions.

I'm not part of the council, but I'd be less inclined to boost someone to the top division if they were in the last season then dropped out. Maybe putting him back into Saturn, then he can get to Jupiter in one season...

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
02-10-2014, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 07:12 PM by anthee.)
(02-10-2014 07:22 AM)anthee Wrote:  It is in everybody's interests to place already active and known players in the divisions they most probably belong to. It is just as frustrating for a new player to play against somebody far above their level as it is boring for a good player to play against too easy an opponent.

Playing in the league at the expected pace is a significant investment of time for all involved and I for one don't want any challenging opponents to decide against joining just because they'd be forced to waste a lot of their time playing matches whose outcome is fairly evident within the first 30 turns or so. A few months is actually quite a long time to wait before getting to play against interesting opponents, wouldn't you think?

This is my argument for why Pushokov should be let in the Jupiter division. I have noted that he quit the Saturn division previously, though, and therefore I would add the condition that he promises to stay in the league at least until the end of season 2 and play all his games at a decent pace.

Pushokov should have been placed in Jupiter to begin with, not Saturn. There were hardly any veteran players in the whole league at the time when he quit -- many skilled, established players joined only afterwards, which I assume to be because the Orion League previously did not seem challenging enough or truly representative of the playerbase at large, and therefore not worth the time required to play all the matches. If we want the league to be truly challenging with all the top notch players in, we should continue making exceptions for known, good players when they decide to join the league.

Since the winner of every division has a shot at the grand prize, and the top 2 from every division gets to be in the EC, this shouldn't really be such a big deal. One could just as well argue that if Pushokov is not skilled enough to be in Jupiter, he will drop out of it soon enough.

GC ID: anthee999
02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Thank you Anthee! You are deffinitly right about playing games with predefined outcome. It is quite boring. And necessity to play a huge amount of games... I don't want to waste my time!

At first here were no experienced players. And now I see Anthee (my best teacher, thank you once again for all your knowledge that you shared with me), NewRussian (my only student and a very promising person to become the next greatest out of all, he got 10 years of chess play experience, so it is only some time before he gets us all!) and other persons with whom I never played before.

So maybe (if there is time for that) I could play with you Jonas, E45Y, Emuqum upon conditions of first season to get your voices for me?

Or, if there is no time for such proving of my worth, it is true that I will be thrown out ASAP Smile
02-11-2014, 02:31 AM
I am biased in this, since I too want to get to the challenging matchups asap. Not that I am getting tired of winning =) but like Anthee said, it's a big investment in time to just trudge through the lower divisions, it'll take, what, 30 games over half a year?! And it's unfair both to the people getting run over, and to those having to go through the motions of not so challenging games. So obviously, I must recommend some sort of mechanism to filter in new players where they belong. It wouldn't be hard to play a qualifier for example...

Something that needs to be considered, however, is what happens to the size of the division. It might be an administrative problem to just pour a bucketload of new players into Jupiter, and it seems unfair to bump down players who have already earned their place in the division. And one qualifier game can't be considered as valid as an entire season worth of playing.
I hope that can be resolved, but if it can't, I guess we'll have to work our way up the hard way...

Of course, if there are like, half a dozen players that want in, that could potentially be Jupiter level players, they could just play a qualifier division of their own this season, and then get sorted into Jupiter or Saturn going into season 3...?
02-11-2014, 03:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 03:47 AM by Siramnes.)
I suppose it is appropriate and inevitable that this discussion go beyond Pushokov to encompass that entire subset of experienced newcomers to the Orion League. As such, I'd like to shift the focus a bit. Choc Ice has come up with an interesting proposal for dealing with this group:

A) create a parallel division of experienced newcomers - I guess we could call this Pluto Division, since we're not sure what exactly it is!

B) Those players participate in a round-robin during season 2 (same rules as league), with the top three moving to Jupiter, the next three to Saturn, and the rest to Neptune for season 3. This would make 11-player divisions for Jupiter and Saturn in season 3, but I don't have any problem with that. Regular promotion/relegation would still occur at the end of the season.

C) The players in Pluto cannot be overall champions at the end of the season, but they would be able to compete for Rocco's prize (the ideas tossed around so far are the right to name a star system in the next update or one of the limited edition Gorzhan statues).

- the advantage of this idea is that those who fought their way into Jupiter still get that honor while those who would obviously steamroll many players in a true Neptune Division have a shot at more rapid promotion. Plus, all players in Pluto would get to go up against experienced competitors.

- this leaves the problem of membership in Pluto, but I don't think this would be too hard to resolve.

So, does the Executive Council agree with the idea of a Pluto Division that would feed into all three Divisions at the end of season 2?

02-11-2014, 03:50 AM
I am fine making an exception for him. I think we ought to establish a system for ranking new players though, instead of considering each request on a case by case basis. Perhaps something along the lines of if a player has two recent wins against players currently in the division he wants to enter, that would qualify? For initial placements only.
02-11-2014, 03:52 AM
Qualification! It is great idea!

Brain storm:
- games against acknowledged players
- a game in which a player got to reach some level of development up to a specifically chosen turn
- quantity of played games (Roc can get the statistics)
- quantity of overall wins (can Roc get the statistics?)
- voting of selected group of players
- general voting of all players
- questions answering (questions are selected by skilled players)
- some investment in the game base of knowledge like writing howto articles
- quantity of forum posts
- quantity of lost games

That's enough for now from me Smile
Thread Closed