Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Orion League, Season 2 rules
02-13-2014, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 10:06 PM by anthee.)
RE: Orion League, Season 2 rules
(02-13-2014 01:17 AM)Diebo Wrote:  For every player, there are settings that benefit them more than other people, and settings that hurt their normal playstyle. For example, I would prefer no specials, no leaders, advanced empire, and a spiral setting.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to vary settings - nothing should be considered sacred. It is your job as the player to adapt to the settings. They are posted well in advance, and you will have time to practice builds on the new settings to get a feel for it.

You're absolutely right, Diebo. Settings should be varied or even randomized. Since we haven't had no specials in the league yet, after reconsideration, I'd like to play with no specials too for at least a part of the time.

I wasn't suggesting keeping specials on because I'd have believed it to be advantageous to myself. I've played with both specials on and specials off and I just find the game to be more fun with specials on due to the additional unknown variables thrown in. Yes, in the end, it's a matter of adaptation, but that wasn't my point.

Siramnes has a point, too, in what he said, although IMHO Galactic Navigators is a must-have regardless of specials as I've said elsewhere before. I don't think the fact that specials encourages exploration leads to a more narrow set of strategies or less interesting games. On the contrary, it leads to conflict earlier and forces players to think more carefully about balancing different research needs (astro VS military VS civil) instead of sitting on their butts and building stuff for the first half of the game. Going for all civil early on and neglecting astro and military is never a good choice when playing against a good opponent but it is certainly a safer thing to do with specials turned off.

GC ID: anthee999
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Good stuff, guys. Anyone know of a web tool we can use to randomize rules?

Founder, the Orion League
02-14-2014, 01:16 AM
(02-13-2014 10:04 PM)anthee Wrote:  I wasn't suggesting keeping specials on because I'd have believed it to be advantageous to myself. I've played with both specials on and specials off and I just find the game to be more fun with specials on due to the additional unknown variables thrown in. Yes, in the end, it's a matter of adaptation, but that wasn't my point.

Lol, "I just find the game to be more fun with specials on due to the additional unknown variables thrown in". More fun for you rarely translates to more fun for the slower, more turtle-like researching player! Specials do benefit certain play styles more than others; yours is clearly one where they benefit. That said, I have no doubt that you weren't even thinking about it in terms of benefit to you, because you're an excellent player and you'd be able to adapt to anything.

Another way to put it - I can play happily with specials on or off, but I would prefer playing you with specials off. It benefits your play style more than mine. I would also prefer playing you with an extremely large, 1000+ planet galaxy in an hourglass shape, with a single choke point separated by multiple Star Drive 4 distance planets. That would bore many people to tears, but I'd enjoy it.
02-14-2014, 03:11 AM
(02-14-2014 01:02 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  Good stuff, guys. Anyone know of a web tool we can use to randomize rules?

Are you looking to randomize settings for each individual game or just for each half of the season? I'd think rolling a die or flipping a coin for each setting would be easier than finding a web tool if you only need to do it once...

Anyway settings look fine as is to me...
02-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Just once for each half of season.

02-14-2014, 07:37 AM
(02-14-2014 01:16 AM)Diebo Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 10:04 PM)anthee Wrote:  I wasn't suggesting keeping specials on because I'd have believed it to be advantageous to myself. I've played with both specials on and specials off and I just find the game to be more fun with specials on due to the additional unknown variables thrown in. Yes, in the end, it's a matter of adaptation, but that wasn't my point.

Lol, "I just find the game to be more fun with specials on due to the additional unknown variables thrown in". More fun for you rarely translates to more fun for the slower, more turtle-like researching player! Specials do benefit certain play styles more than others; yours is clearly one where they benefit.

I don't usually find easy games to be more interesting or more fun.

More interesting and more fun doesn't necessarily have something to do with how easy or hard the game is, either.

02-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Team, if we want to split season's rules why we discuss only specials and leaders. They do have impact, but really not too big. Top players would win the average guys even sitting first 100 turns at home area without any specials.

May be we should think about map size and type of the map. For example, I found cluster/large map interesting as well. There are many different tactics of development possible and... I would say that got tired from spiral. All games vs. top players are similar there. We all have the same strategy of development now and success depends just on 1-2 frigates in decisive battle or Large 1 Rich planet occasionally located not far from the home area ...

My proposal has to diversify league a bit.
02-14-2014, 07:12 PM
I agree. Smaller map sizes should be tried out as well. On massive size maps, you always need to have research bonuses to be competitive, but I'd like to see what would work on, say, a large size cluster map. It could be small enough for industry builds to have a fair shot but large enough for science/hybrid builds to stay competitive as well.

02-15-2014, 12:12 AM
I've tweaked the rules a bit based on feedback I've seen here. Executive Committee, please give a yes/no vote for whether or not you approve so we can settle this.

02-15-2014, 01:06 AM
(02-15-2014 12:12 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  I've tweaked the rules a bit based on feedback I've seen here. Executive Committee, please give a yes/no vote for whether or not you approve so we can settle this.

Yes
Thread Closed