• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Orion League, Season 2 rules
02-15-2014, 03:05 AM
RE: Orion League, Season 2 rules
Yes, I like that.
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2014, 04:22 AM
(02-15-2014 12:12 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  I've tweaked the rules a bit based on feedback I've seen here. Executive Committee, please give a yes/no vote for whether or not you approve so we can settle this.

Yes

GC ID: anthee999
02-15-2014, 04:41 AM
Ok, that's the three votes we need to move on. Season 2 rules are now finalized.

Founder, the Orion League
02-15-2014, 11:52 AM
(02-15-2014 04:41 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  Ok, that's the three votes we need to move on. Season 2 rules are now finalized.

Yes, I like em' I have a suggestion for the 'title' shot.... Massive, random, cluster... Just the title shot though.... Only because it gives a nod to moo2 in that in moo2 that was your only setting..
02-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I like random. Sure there's some luck too, but so what.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
02-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Shape: Spiral / Cluster

I like the idea of cluster, as it means there are a number of different (bottom, middle, top) routes to attack. However, I wonder if it might not be better to reconsider the choice of spiral for the league. Spiral is popular for FFA and team games, as everyone gets a safe, gentle, start before meeting opposition in the center, but what is the appeal for a 1v1 match? 10,000 games of 1v1 spiral will result in 10,000 games of attacks thru the center of the spiral, won't it?

It might be better to choose ring, over spiral, as the second map shape. Ring means having to defend both sides of the empire and long-range attacks could even be made thru the center of the ring. That means three possible attack vectors, same as cluster. With both cluster and ring you have to carefully decide where to place your starbases and forces across the multiple possible attack avenues . With spiral, there is no careful thought - everything goes to the center. Every game.

What do the rest of you think? Any pros to using spiral I'm missing? Cons to ring?
02-18-2014, 02:57 AM
I would probably not play any games with random galaxy... If I wanted to be defeated by an RNG, I'd buy a lottery ticket. Much faster =)

Still agree with what Sloth just said about spiral, btw...
02-18-2014, 03:01 AM
The exact same argument can be made against specials, and was. The exact same benefits apply. I enjoy the challenges of random, even when it's "unfair", i.e., not how I want it. The game parms are already semi RNG since the center was maximized, and, the center is randomized. The only way for a truly fair game would be an identical map for both sides and no specials or monsters.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
02-18-2014, 03:15 AM
Monsters aren't random, are they? But yes, it should be fairly easy to predetermine the tech one gets from a ruin or derelict, and make it symmetrical?

Not really the point though, the fact that there is too much rng already isn't an argument to add MORE rng =)
02-18-2014, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 05:01 AM by VanderLegion.)
(02-18-2014 03:01 AM)sfatula Wrote:  The exact same argument can be made against specials, and was. The exact same benefits apply. I enjoy the challenges of random, even when it's "unfair", i.e., not how I want it. The game parms are already semi RNG since the center was maximized, and, the center is randomized. The only way for a truly fair game would be an identical map for both sides and no specials or monsters.

Specials and random galaxy are NOT the same thing. With specials, you're guaranteed to find them at the exact same relative places, even if you might get different bonuses. With random galaxy, you could have one player with all poor planets while the other has a bunch of huge rich/very rich gaia planets. You could also have someone who just gets unlucky enough to not be able to REACH any planets past a certain point without researching more fuel cells while the other player can keep expanding.
And as matteus said, monsters, similar to specials, will always be at the same relative systems, and as far as I recall, will always be the same monsters as well

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Thread Closed